A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: animation

AquaCorpse saves the day again

animation

Hey guys I've been working on this walking animation for a side scrolling action game and i wanted to know what you thought of the look of the character. I wanted to give him a jet pack as well but i'm not sure if people will mistaken him for a boba fett knock off. Which wasn't my inspiration, Master chief was. lol
    thanks for your time.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    aqua corpse he's a really cool guy...

He walks like a cowboy. Don't make him bend down after every step. it should just be a simple matter of removing one frame. And use motion tweens for walk cycles when you're working with characters like that.
    http://www.birchlabs.co.uk/
    You know you want to.

hold on so you're saying removing one frame of the animation and i don't understand what you mean by using motion tweens for the walk cycles....

I think he means convert the arms and legs to Graphic objects and then motion tween them instead of using frame by frame animation. This will give it a smooth animation.
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

hey can some one tell me how to do that...?? (flash MX 2004 Pro)

do what?

You mean motion tween? Heres a quick overview:

1. Create an object and turn it into a movieclip symbol
    2. On the timeline, Insert a keyframe a number of frames a head of the one you put your object on. Make it a large ammount, like 40 or 60.
    3. Now move the object on the frame you just created to a new position
    4. right click on the first frame and select motion tween.
    5. test the movie, the object should move from the position in frame one to the position you selected in frame 40 smoothly.

You can also rotate, alpha, change colours and scale pictures with motion tweens.

i think it will be pretty good when it is more complete
    Fogle

Mistress of the Night X_Piper_X's Avatar
    In the darkest deepest confinds of your mind
    I think it is creative, nicely done, however, the only problem I see is the way his arms are a bit too jerky and I believe that is simply because of the speed the animation is going, just slow it down a bit and maybe add more frames, a little bit smaller arm swings, but all in all very nice.
    Sincerely Rock On,
    ♥Piper♥
    ↓Come Visit My Site (Piper`s Lair)↓

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are Krunchy and good with Ketchup!

You don't need to convert everything to movie clips or graphics - just select the whole thing, right-click on it and choose 'Distribute to Layers', and then you'll have each part of the body on a separate layer. Select a slot on the timeline about 10 frames ahead of the one you're on, press F5, then right-click on the end frame and choose 'Create Motion Tween'. Select the end frame again, and convert it to a Keyframe by pressing F6. Move the limb in that layer into a different position (don't redraw it or add anything else in - just rotate, scale, move, skew, or flip whatever's already in there). Now play the movie and you'll see that flash fills in all the other frames between those keyframes for you! Do this on all the layers, and pretty soon you'll be on your way to making a smooth walking animation.
    You know you want to.

Mistress of the Night X_Piper_X's Avatar
    In the darkest deepest confinds of your mind
    Quote Originally Posted by VENGEANCE MX
    You don't need to convert everything to movie clips or graphics - just select the whole thing, right-click on it and choose 'Distribute to Layers', and then you'll have each part of the body on a separate layer. Select a slot on the timeline about 10 frames ahead of the one you're on, press F5, then right-click on the end frame and choose 'Create Motion Tween'. Select the end frame again, and convert it to a Keyframe by pressing F6. Move the limb in that layer into a different position (don't redraw it or add anything else in - just rotate, scale, move, skew, or flip whatever's already in there). Now play the movie and you'll see that flash fills in all the other frames between those keyframes for you! Do this on all the layers, and pretty soon you'll be on your way to making a smooth walking animation.
    Nicely put dude, very thorough, layers are awesome. I agree there too.
    Sincerely Rock On,
    ♥Piper♥
    ↓Come Visit My Site (Piper`s Lair)↓

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are Krunchy and good with Ketchup!

Quote Originally Posted by VENGEANCE MX
    But that gets messy very fast. I prefer to name all my symbols, then tween. Suppose its a matter of preference.

I only tween movie clips if I need them to be independent timelines (so you can customise your character).
    You know you want to.

It is really choppy, did you cut out a frame or something?