A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Preloader, flash intro to web page question

Trying hard to get it
    one thing I think you got backwards...
    1. The orange background is supposed to come in before the dandelloin fade in. So the background comes in as the little square you saw and opens up to full size (like the image I sent you previously today)
    2. Then the smaller squares on top and the blue one on the bottom come in
    3. THEN the dandelloin fades in
    4. then the little piece of the dandelloin flies off the dandelloin. then so on so forth... we'll get to that when we figure out the first two frames LOL!!!

I will apply what you said.

One thing I still don't get is how am I supposed to build these movie clips to work together if I can't see one (the background) while I place the other (dandelloin). I guess I will build them in the same fla file and then split them up into movie clips from there....
    I will try it.
    M.

Trying hard to get it

arrgh!

Here goes the file that I am using to make the movie clips.

I don't know what's the matter with the blue box on the corner bottom. It is supposed to appear and then grow bigger. But now it is doing this funky thing when I add the motion tween to it.

Question. Do I do the background separate from the boxes coming in? In a separate movie clip? Right now they are all in the same movie clip.

In this file is also the dandelloin image.
    I got the fact that it has to be the image, no fades until it is a movie clip. I was getting to do that when I saw the freak blue square. What's up with that??

You got a 1.5!! Good for you! Mine is really 4.5 (it dosn't get any easier, they tell me, until they are 6 so hang in there)

quick question: when I upload the file does all the stuff in the library upload too? Does that mean if I have the library full of sounds they will make the file bigger?

you can have the "bg" and squares all be in one clip..up to you..however you design it to work....just as long as in the LAST frame of that clip..you have to code to trigger the dandelion ...

I see no file..so I cant help with the blue box..LOL

Trying hard to get it
    OK here is the fla file with the items I used to make the movie clips.

I tried the dandelloinclip opening it in editing mode adding a key frame and applying the fade tween using alpha and it didn't work. Don't know why.

The movie clip for the background dosn't seem to have the movement.

I am getting frustrated.

See what you can comment and I will look into it tomorrow again. While at work LOL!
    My brain is fried and there is a lightning storm and my battery back up is not working at the moment so I have to sign off.
    Any comments you may have let me know.
    Michelle.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Trying hard to get it
    one more comment...
    FLASH IS ANNOYING!
    LOL!

Trying hard to get it
    Fresh from sleep and bright eyed and bushy tailed I looked at your file again. I noticed 2 things. You made the orange background be the actual background color of the movie! In mine, the background moves. Also the flying boxes in yours are on their own movie clip. I have the background movement and the boxes in the same movie clip. Maybe this is my problem.
    I should have the background be a movie clip and then have the boxes be their own movie clip.

Another thing. I would like to know how to build the items for this. Do I build them in separate flash documents? The page size, does it affect the placement of the item in the final time line?

In other words my final file will be 800 x 600 px If I build the dandelloin symbol and movie clip in a flash file that is 500 x 400 does it matter?

It makes sense that it wouldn't matter. That I could build all these pieces away from each other and then put them together in the final movie.

Is there a way to save all these pieces into one continuous library?

Other thing I noticed. The cross hairs of each movie clip symbol once made into a symbol it centers itself in the middle of that symbol. That shouldn't affect the rest of the items tween. Correct? It seemed that my freaky blue box was being affected by that. Instead of reading the cross hairs from the middle of itself it was reading the cross hairs from somewhere else making it move way out and coming back instead of just growing in place. I don't have a clue how that happened.

Iam going to work now. I will be able to check this while there but not be able to work on flash. I WISH!!

Talk soon
    M.

Trying hard to get it

Anyone there?

Hi. I was just wondering if you saw my last posts.
    I am home again and trying to tackle it again. Whatever result I gather I will post.
    Hope to hear from you again.
    M.

I am going to pick up my son... I will be around "spotty" at best tonight.. I'll try to address some of your questions.

Trying hard to get it

Babies come first!

I understand.

I actually got the background going. (the orange part) Only thing is it keeps doing its thing over and over again even though I put a stop action at the end like you said.

The dandelloin clip actually worked! But it also repeats itself no matter how many stops I put.

The 3 squares are a bit hairy. The blue square insists on going haywire. Instead of growing in place it wants to go out and boggie. What's weird is in the flash doc I create it the action is correct it does what i told it todo when I make it into a Movie Clip It does that funky move and when I go back to my original file the original file does the same funky move even though the original was ok. ???!!!???

Anyway. I am posting the 3rd try at putting them together. I am getting closer!
    I just have some looping issues and that darn blue box. That box MC does not even work on this one.
    I won't work on this until I hear from you because I am hitting a road block. When you can and your son allows drop me a line.
    Maybe don't even bother with my last 3 posts. Leaving me to fend for myself may have helped a bit. LOL! And look! My file is smaller!!

you do almost have it..however your are targeting the wrong clips... & you did NOT give the movie clips an instance name.

here is your .fla corrected..

1.) you had code IN the bg clip in the last frame to not only stop; (which you wanted)..but to then jump back to frame 2?? take that out...and dont target the BG clip..target yoour squares clip.

2.) No stop; action in frame 1 of the dandelion clip.

3.) same things #1 in the end of the squares clip..telling it jump to frame 3.

4.) even if youcode WAS correct..you didnt NAME the clips so the code couldnt find them.

here..It was really only MINOR changes..and took under 10 seconds..

good job.

when you are in the library..looking at the symbols you have created,.. those are NOT instance names. When you drag a symbol form the library to the stage... you have to give it a unique name so that code can find that clip and talk to it..

So lets say you made an animation of a ball going up and down... you can drag 10000+ of that clip to the stage...each having a different name.

Why you may ask? lets say you only want the balls to start bouncing when you click a button...or each ball has its own button. you can tell clip"A" to bounce..while clip "B" is still..because we only called clip "A's" name and told it to "bounce". (hope that makes sense)

To give a clip an instance name...drag it to the stage.. highlight/select it.. in the properties panell you will see a field for "Instance Name".. call it whatever you want.

Trying hard to get it
    I had to replay it like 3 times 'cause I couldn't belive it! LOL!!

Woopeeee!!!!

I was really that close?! I figured I would have to do the whole thing again! LOL!

So, once you do a MC with it's animation and everything and you import it to your stage THEN you name the instance name. I tried it and I got it. Now do you have a tendency of naming the instance differently than the movie clip name? I would think so right? I think I answered myself there.
    This is great!
    I looove flash tonight! Ha HAAAA!
    Thank you Thank YOU!

Trying hard to get it
    OK. Now I got that (thanks to you) and I am going to attempt to put the "fluffy" thing coming off the dandelloin. In my previous failed attempt I did make the fluff follow a path and it looked cool. I also got it to be a movie clip. Maybe (just maybe) I can drop it into the new file with what I know and get it to work...
    Wish me luck!

honestly...I think you need to take a step back fomr this project..and learn the solid basics.. hwo to make a movie clip..how to make a button....how to make a tween... and how to target a movie clip.

Then you can anything you want (more or less).. its hard for you to accomplish this because you dont how to make a movie clip..and your trying to "talk" to it...

can you look the "corrected" .fla and see what changes I made?
    do they make sense to you?

Yes you did answer your own question.. LOL..

maybe do a little exersice.. where you make one button...and one movie clip..(some animation doesnt matter what..a stop action in frame 1 and the code of gotoAndPlay(2); in the LAST frame)

then drag 3 buttons to the stage..and thre animation (doesnt matter what of) clips form the library to the stage..

give them instance names of clip1 clip2 & clip3

ON the buttons have the code of:

button 1:
    _root.clip1.play();

button 2:
    _root.clip2.play();

button 3:
    _root.clip3.play();

then change it up...so you understand how to target clips and tell them to do stuff.

button 1: (combine some stuff)

_root.clip1.play();
    _root.clip2.play();

they only do what you tell them to do...if you dont tell them to STOP..they will play for ever....

if you stop them..you HAVE to tell them to play..or they will never move.. etc..etc..

but I guess if you have a vision..that is also a goal to work towards..and apply real life examples to your learning..

Trying hard to get it
    OK!!!
    I got the fluff flying like I want it. We ROCK!!
    now my question is. When that fluff does its thing I want it to loop a couple of times. But after the first run. I want it to set off the logo to come in.
    How do I write the action script for that?
    I tried not putting a stop (because I didn't want it to)
    and I put _root.logoClip.gotoAndPlay() Thinking that that would do it. But it only plays once. I thought without the stop it would loop and then it would go and play logo clip.
    what did I do wrong?

Trying hard to get it
    I posted my findings before reading your last post. Sorry.

I have a tendency of learning as I do something I want to do. I, for some reason, don't seem to retain as much when I do the exercises. I will do your exercise because I need to learn as much as possible. My problem is that I am under the gun I have to finish this website so I can look for a job where I am moving to and I need to publish it in no less than 2 weeks. I put myself this goal of doing a Flash Intro for my website in order to force myself to learn flash and not play around. I never have enough time to do this as it is. (my husband thinks I am crazy to be in the computer this long and my daughter asks me where I've been when I come out of the computer room) If I don't have something I have to finish (I guess I am deadline oriented) I will never sit down and take the time to learn it. I wish I could just go to a class and learn but there is no extra time or money to do it in my life. That's why I learn on the fly.
    Your help is making it possible to learn and to keep my goal timewise and I appreciate it. I couldn't do this any other way, I was about to give up the idea until you offered to help. The books cannot tell you what you did wrong. You can!

OKAY. Glad I got that off my back. LOL!!

To tell you the truth, when you told me about the instance name a light went off because I do work with some JavaScript and I was wondering how the hell did flash know what I wanted with what I was putting in. Now it makes sense.

There has to be a STOP action in there then..if the clip is NOT looping.

remember.. there can be code:

ON buttons
    ON movie clips
    ON frames.

make sure you knwo what you have highlighted/selected before checking the actions script pane.

and that exerices WILL help......doing the same thing with FRAME actions that trigger events will help too

I learned like you as well..

Trying hard to get it
    I knew it.

LOL!

Trying hard to get it
    I looked for the stop and the only stop I see is in the beginning key frame to tell it to stop and wait for the command to play. that should be there otherwise it starts before its time. correct?

I added the logo Layer and put it in the clip I made that seemed to work fine when i tested it. But, of course, it is not showing up. Why? Only U would know.

I attached the file. So you can see the progress.

I am signing off now. My eyes are burning.

Thanks for all your help! It is really coming along.

Trying hard to get it

Hi whispers...

It is friday morning and I am checking to see if I had an answer from you... Could you look at my last post and see what went wrong in my code?
    I am soo close to finishing this that I can taste it.
    I really appreciate your continuing help.
    Michelle