Here's an idea for an assignment:

Design a page / site using only CSS.
    No Images.

imagination through stupidity
    Quote Originally Posted by admedia
    Here's an idea for an assignment:

Design a page / site using only CSS.
    No Images.
    draw on the board using squares and tell them thats the layout they need to use.
    Nothing to see here, move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Sybersnake
    draw on the board using squares and tell them thats the layout they need to use.
    No, I was thinking keep it open and see what comes back.... just give them some sample content.

I am also curious, since I have no formal training... I would imagine the class would be broken down into Photoshop / Design theory and concepts fonts, etc... example assignment: design this page using photshop. Final product is a photoshop mockup.

and actual assembly code / structure / usability etc....
    sample assignment: the one I mentioned above: CSS only.

is this kind of how the class works? I would love to see a course outline if that is possible some time?

Looking for free education.
    Last edited by admedia; 09-06-2005 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Markp.com
    Shame its only a once a year gig! Or else I'd do it 24x7!
    *crys*

I thought I read about some class that did a "Zen Garden" project..where they studied the site... used that static markup...and then designed their own as a final..after going over CSS for a few weeks. (I thouht I read that here even)..

but again..you said they already have a portfolio to enter..so what IS the focus of your "track"? Is it WEB design..(optimising for web?, web techniques?, web languages? web design?) all focused?..no graphic?..etc..etc?

I mean when you got the job they had to give you a "class name" or somenthing.

Don't know, but to me, css was about 2 days or 7 hours to teach myself. Probably 2 hours to teach to somebody else if they know what they're doing.

Even learnign to design without tables and fluid layouts..etc..etc? Not just the styling of text.... OK... I got some time.. you got 2 hours.. "GO"!!

Quote Originally Posted by whispers
    Even learnign to design without tables and fluid layouts..etc..etc? Not just the styling of text.... OK... I got some time.. you got 2 hours.. "GO"!!
    I could write a tutorial.. maby next week. PM me next week, like thurs to remind me if i haven't done it already.

Sounds good to me... I use CSS..but never advanced CSS liek designing without tables..and relative psotioning to other "elements"..

(I guess I never tried either)..

technically the class is called web design 1/dreamweaver

but there's no way i'm going to just teach 14 weeks of the inner workings of dreamweaver.

Quote Originally Posted by erova
    technically the class is called web design 1/dreamweaver

but there's no way i'm going to just teach 14 weeks of the inner workings of dreamweaver.
    i've had dreamweaver for years, use it everyday and don't know how to use it to design. lol. The document tab isn't even viewing, so don't have the code/design tabs to look at.

I can't believe no one has mentioned this yet!

Control panels and servers, this always gets missed out or not covered properly, how to use a basic control panel like cPanel what everything means like CRON JOBS if they havn't been covered, box trapper, 3rd party apps like Fantastico but don't forget the important things like how to back up and setting up Email account.

Oh a good explenation of what all the bits and bobs on a Awarts stats page means would also be good.

If you need a Control panel and domain name to play with I'll let you use a spare domian I have laying about for demonstrating to your students, you could then also demonstrate how the checking in and checking out works with Dreamweaver OH and hot to use the template system...........I could go on and on but I think I'll let someone else post a few ideas :-)

PM me if you need the control panel and domain.

Great ideas Kevin_ this was never covered in my website 101 course. I had to figure all that out on my own, and still don't understand all of it.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin_smithers
    I can't believe no one has mentioned this yet!

Control panels and servers, this always gets missed out or not covered properly, how to use a basic control panel like cPanel what everything means like CRON JOBS if they havn't been covered, box trapper, 3rd party apps like Fantastico...
    PM me if you need the control panel and domain.
    hey kevin,

first off i appreciate the offer. humorously enough though, i've been in this industry for over 7 years now and have no idea what cPanel is or what the heck CRON JObs is, let alone a box trapper. about the extent of server work is registering a new datasource name on the control panel from my crystaltech web host.

this class certainly isn't meant to cover server maintenance and server work that would most likely be found in a information systems course (which isn't offered at this art school).

Erova, I understand that alot that stuff Kevin mentioned is advanced. However, I agree that you might want to spend one lesson on setting up a site through FTP access and/or how to set up hosting and domain aquisition. The FTP part can't be hard as that's built into Dreamweaver anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by Sybersnake
    Don't know, but to me, css was about 2 days or 7 hours to teach myself. Probably 2 hours to teach to somebody else if they know what they're doing.
    I graduated with 3 design degrees...been web designing for 4 years...and I only recently quit...I STILL dont know how to do CSS.

So...these tutorials...

Quote Originally Posted by erova
    i've been in this industry for over 7 years now and have no idea what cPanel is or what the heck CRON JObs is, let alone a box trapper.
    Glad I'm not the only one. I even have a couple reseller accounts too with different control panels.

I think this class is supposed to be focused on the art of design. It might not be a bad idea to cover a little bit as far as integration with back-end systems or coordinating art with programming.

i agree, Ad. The class is about design--an intro class at that. As it's about dreamweaver as well, of course i'll cover FTP via Dreamweaver, in addition to DW's rudimentary check-in/check-out process. I don't think I'd agree that those are advanced web design topics though.