A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Where Can I Find More Work?

Bearded (M|G)od MyFriendIsATaco's Avatar

Where Can I Find More Work?

What are some other sites where coders can post a portfolio and people can hire you for work? I'm just looking for other places to solicit my talents and get hired to make some money! Thank you!

well, aside from flash, what else can you do or work with? php? mysql? fireworks? photoshop? asp? mssql?
    Flash MX + ASP + WinXP Pro
    Now Learning PHP & MySQL

I know php, mysql, javascript, xml, and html...I use fireworks and photoshop and illustrator to make graphics...I think that's about it

Edit: i know CSS too!
    Last edited by MyFriendIsATaco; 09-11-2005 at 09:11 AM. Reason: added css

Thread moved to the Board Room . Please read the Freelance Forum rules before posting in there.
    Thanks.

Network in your area. Go to local companies and offer your services. Create a nice brochure or package that lets them know what you can do for them. Marketing in person has given me the best results.
    It must be obvious day at camp stupid

The below is a freelancer portal that you can post and bids for jobs. Check it out.

at http://www.iamfreelancer.com

What are some good sites to maybe get work from? Specifically for Flash...I've used RentACoder.com before and people there are waaay to cheap...People want entire sites done for like, $100...And not just a crappy little page... I'm leary about doing personal contacts with businesses becasue I am only 17...People don't really think too highly of a 17 year old kid walking into a business trying to sell a $500 website to them... I want to actually get bigger jobs than what I've been getting...But on the other hand, I am slowly moving up...In August I made $450 in 3 projects...Each month I'm making a little bit more...But I would like ANY advice/help on where to get hired for freelance jobs!
    Last edited by MyFriendIsATaco; 09-12-2005 at 12:16 PM.

sk8Krog gave you the best advice. you'll need to get out and sell yourself to be successful. make sure you are presentable (the goatee and hair will grow back after you are in huge demand ) and then get out there and start meeting small business folks to start with. get some work...do a great job...ask for referrals and do it all over again (and again)!

it's OK if you are 17 unless there are legal issues with being able to enter into a contract in your state. if so, build your portfolio now for when you turn 18. generally, I've found that customers want to know how you can solve their problem. sure, they'll notice that you are young but use that to your advantage. explain how you grew up with technology and then show some excellent work and explain how you'll solve their problem too! business people are impressed by energetic, ambitious young people.

one thing to keep in mind. it won't happen for you overnight. usually it takes a period of years for a business to become successful.

BTW, I wouldn't count on finding significant amounts of freelance work using online resources. too many cheap customers and way too many hungry competitors!
    Last edited by 1a2b3c4d; 09-12-2005 at 01:09 PM.

Thank you very much...Now where I live is not a very big city like NYC or LA, I live in a suburb of Youngstown, Ohio, so it's not exactly the best area for businesses, but there are a few new places here and there, so I'll give it a shot and see what I can do! Thanks again for everyones help!

Don't worry about being in a small town. One of my best clients is a company in a medium sized town in New Jersey.

It's all in the presentation. I notice you aren't too far from Cleveland or Pittsburgh. If you have your license you can drive to those cities, but do some research. Look in the yellow pages for an industry that you'd like to do work for and write down a few companies' contact information. Then make a nice package of your work printed out (if it's interactive or online that's fine. Include the url on the pages). Mail the package to them and include in it a letter about the work you do and how you can help their business. Personalizing the letter will let them know you really know what you are doing and you aren't some stupid spammer.

You'll get some great work like that if you're serious about it.

Ahh, thats a really good idea I never thought of...Yes, I live pretty much smack in the middle of Cleveland and Pittsburgh, it's about an hour and a half to each city from here...I think I am going to spend some time and type up some letters and mail them to companies with a link to my portfolio and stuff...That way I can avoid the initial personal contact! Any suggestions for the kinds of companies to look for? Like what kinds of companies are usually interested in Flash work and not HTML? I know HTML looks more professional as far as a business is concerned, and Flash is usually more animated and cartoonish...At least that's how my style is anyways...

It's really hard to say because flash is merely a tool and there are many industries it can work in. It sounds like you are more interested in creating websites for companies in flash, in which case the creative industry is where you will want to turn. But keep in mind the market is saturated with 17 year olds with flash so make sure you can separate yourself.

Really just do research and keep your head in it. If they don't hire you you'll at least get your name and work out there.

My work definitely doesnt show that im 17! haha, at least thats what some of my clients have said...i usually dont state that fact until after the project is over, let me know what you think...check out my portfolio so far: http://www.youdontevenknow.us/flash_work.html so far, that just my flash portfolio, im working on the other things, just flash is my main thing

one more thing I noticed. if you are planning to use http://www.youdontevenknow.us/ to promote yourself you're gonna need to finish it! out of 22 linked pages only 3 have content; the rest say "Under Construction".

I generally advise our clients to never use "Under Construction" pages and instead only put up the links and pages for which you have content.

yes yes yes, i know, haha, i just started, i just wanted to hurry and get the flash portfolio done because that's my biggest concern, then work onto the other pages!

Something to keep in mind: no one is looking specifically for Flash, PHP, Javascript, XML or HTML. Nor do they care if you use Fireworks, Photoshop or Magic Markers to design websites. What they are looking for is a specific outcome as a result of using your services. For a business owner, this many mean making more money or spending less money. If you target the entertainment sector, they'll want visitors to have a certain type of experience when using their site. Flash, Javascript, etc. are merely the tools you use to produce that result. Don't get caught up in the technology. Most people won't even know what "Flash" is, if you ask them.
    John Tabita
    Yellow-Tie Int'l - A business-development association
    for people who want to spend more time working with
    customers than selling & marketing to them.