A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Enable/disable button thru external variable?

Enable/disable button thru external variable?

I am writing a CD-ROM menu application using Flash MX2004 and want to be able to enable or disable a button from displaying based on a variable set in an external text file.

I've created a textfile with :

displaybutton=1

What I don't know how to do is work out the actionscript to say 'If displaybutton=1 then enable the button'.

I tried adding an if/else statement to the On Release, so that if it was not 1 it would send the user to another scene, but this did not work (making me think that perhaps it was not reading my variable correctly).

Can anyone help?

Martin B

// This is assuming you've properly loaded the variable into flash.
    on(release){
    if (_root.displaybutton == "1")
    {
    // w/e
    }
    else
    {
    //w/e
    }
    }
    K2xL - My games, tutorials, message boards, and experiments.
    Blog

This is of course assuming I understand this! Unfortunately I find actionscript difficult to get my head around, and while I understand the 'if' script below I am not sure what to put in the // w/e bits - e.g. what is the command to display the button or layer? Which would be the better way - enable a button or enable a layer? The 'else' bit I assume I'd just leave empty to not display anything.

Also, how can I confirm that the variable is being loaded correctly? I have often read in text files and displayed the content in a dynamic text box using:

loadVariablesNum("filename.txt", 0);

Is this correct? (Just making sure )

Sorry for the simple questions but as I say it's hard to bridge the learning curve when you're at the bottom of the straight line!!!

Thanks
    Martin B