A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: writing info to user's computer from EXE?

writing info to user's computer from EXE?

I was wondering if it is possible to write information to a user's computer from a Flash executable file? I'm hoping to create a standalone executable that will track (and save) information in a graphic chart over time.

Any advice on this subject would be helpful.

FK's Official Mac Hater jasonsplace's Avatar
    Unfortunately Macromedia removed the "save" feature in MX so we can't use it anymore. For a free solution, if it doesn't have to be on the hard drive and the people will have an internet connection, you could have it send the info to a server using PHP or ASP or JSP or any server side language. If you want the functionality in your standalone to save on your computer you will need a third party tool. I prefer SWF Studio from http://www.northcode.com but others are available too. Sorry that it isn't asier than that.
    Jason L. Wright
    I'm not that hard to imitate. Just make some random negative claim at Apple or anything else for that matter and then have nothing to back it up.

Thanks, Jason. I had a feeling it wouldn't be easy even if it was possible, but at least I can be sure now when I let my client know.

Lisa

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    You can use Local Shared Objects to store persistent data as well, and you can do it for FREE using functionality built into Flash. Check out this Macromedia technote for more details...

http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/kn...fm?id=tn_16194

I completely forgot about Shared Objects. The only downside to that is it is stored in a cookie so it may not be permanent storage. Correct me if i'm wrong.
    Jason L. Wright
    I'm not that hard to imitate. Just make some random negative claim at Apple or anything else for that matter and then have nothing to back it up.

Thanks, Northcode. I took a quick look at the technote, but it does seem to refer to online sites rather than executables downloaded to one's desktop. Do you know if it's adaptable to a standalone player? Does it then matter where the user saves the EXE file to their computer?

Local Shared Objects will work in a player running in a browser and in the standalone Flash player. A shared object isn't a cookie, it's a real file (.SOL) so it won't be removed when someone clears their cache or something.

Okay, thanks. Sounds like it's definitely worth me looking into further.

I know I've helped people here with code to store and retrieve data from shared local objects so you might want to have a look through this forum first.

The simplest solution would be to use Flash 5. It has the capability of saving text files containing all the variable data from a stand alone executable to the local hard drive. The hard part is retrieving the data once it's saved, but it's definitely possible. I've done it many times before.
    GetLives Arcade: Play games, nothing else.
    This site is nothing but Flash-powered games. If you're bored, try a few of them.

Flash 5 wasn't hard.
    To save:
    fscommand("save", "hello.txt");
    To load:
    loadVariables("hello.txt");

It was real easy. The only problem with that is that the computer that you are using the projector on would have to have the Flash 5 player as the newer players don't support that function.
    Jason L. Wright

Loading the variables is iffy in Flash 5. You have to check to make sure everything is loaded before you change frames or it'll stop loading the variables. This is a major pain for large files, but what you have to do is check for a variable at the end of the text file to be set to true. Once it's set to true, the movie can continue playing.

Also, it's almost impossible to load user-created files, because you have no way to search through the hard drive and pick out the file you want to load. Instead, you're stuck with a text input field or a slot-based system.
    GetLives Arcade: Play games, nothing else.
    This site is nothing but Flash-powered games. If you're bored, try a few of them.

Flash by itself wasn't created to make full blown applications. It does do a good job for simple things but in order to do anything to advamced you need add-ons. I loved the save command. It worked very well for saving simple data to the hard drive.
    Jason L. Wright

It was real easy. The only problem with that is that the computer that you are using the projector on would have to have the Flash 5 player as the newer players don't support that function.
    Minor correction: The SAVE feature only worked in the Flash 5 standalone projector, which means the user wouldn't need anything else installed. The Macromedia standalone projectors are completely self-contained.

I guess that would be correct Northcode.
    Jason L. Wright