A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [DISC] Why can't Macromedia be assed to give us a scroll wheel feature?

[DISC] Why can't Macromedia be assed to give us a scroll wheel feature?

Macromedia said they'd be reading through every email they received during the beta stages of FP8 Public Beta, and anything that they thought needed to be given attention would be taken into account. So why did they ignore me when I told them, yet again, that the scroll wheel feature STILL doesn't work on Macs? And why have they ignored me now that I've reminded them of my original email? I also have a feeling I told them about this bug before the FP8 public beta was released.

The least they could do is tell me it's not possible or something - at least then I'd know that they actually took the time to respond to my message. But the most I've received from them is a confirmation email.

Do they even know that it doesn't work? Are they actually aware that one of the key features of MX 2004 isn't cross-platform compatible?

I just want to know why they're ignoring me, and why they feel that we Mac users don't deserve to have all the features the Windows users get. I have to stop walking whenever I want to change weapons in Heli Attack 3, because Macromedia don't seem to realise Macs can have proper mice.
    http://www.birchlabs.co.uk/
    You know you want to.

Untitled-2.fla
    "normal" people don't use macs; get yourself a proper computer mate.

in all fairness, if it's a feature that is not available for macs, then it's the designers and creators of flash content who have to cator for the needs of the mac user.... and in this sense why are you rubbishing MM and not Heli Attack?

well, heli attack allows to set the game keys, you can´t do much more as game designer for people who have issues with the default settings.
    regarding the scrollwheel issue on mac,yeah, that´s sad, but mate, mm surely isn´t thinking "the mac users don´t deserve the features pc users get", if that was the case they wouldn´t have worked hard on getting open gl acceleration working in the mac plugin so that it finally isn´t sluggishly slow compared to the pc one anymore. The main problem is that some things have to be done in very different way on different os to get same functionality (by the looks of it). Therefore MM is mostly trying to get the features and fixes in place for the next built which were asked for most often by the users and are feasable to do in time for the next release. so don´t worry and better write that scrollwheel on mac request again on their wishlist.

Where's the wishlist?
    You know you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by token 3
    "normal" people don't use macs; get yourself a proper computer mate.

in all fairness, if it's a feature that is not available for macs, then it's the designers and creators of flash content who have to cator for the needs of the mac user.... and in this sense why are you rubbishing MM and not Heli Attack?

hhahah, YES !

The developers of Heli Attack made it possible to change weapons with the keyboard, with keys that are right next to the main walking keys. The only way it could be easier to change weapons is with the scroll wheel, and that's what I want. And I'm never getting a Windows computer. Never ever ever. The solution to the scroll wheel problem needn't cost me hundreds of pounds, just a couple of hours of work on Macromedia's part. Of course, none of this will matter when the Intel Macs come out and I can have Windows and Mac OS on the same computer (without using an emulator), but that's still a couple of years away.
    You know you want to.

Bit confused by the tone of your post to be honest.

"I just want to know why they're ignoring me... I have to stop walking whenever I want to change weapons in Heli Attack 3, because Macromedia don't seem to realise Macs can have proper mice."

You act like you have a right to have every feature you want in Flash, and MM are ignoring you totally.
    Dozens, if not 100s, of features didn't make it into the final build of Flash which people flagged up. How many Mac users are there ? And from that, how many have a mouse with a scroll wheel ? And further down, how many feel lost because 1 game isn't quite as playable as it possibly could be ?
    I imagine if scroll wheels were a pretty standard and almost integeral part of using a Mac support would be higher on MM's list of priorities. Personally I would have thought the near parity in speed on both platforms would be more than enough.

Sorry if this seems like a personal attack, but your post just seems like a moan for the sake of it, and doesn't really help or improve anything at all in this forum.

Squize.

How should Linux users feel? No Flash player at all for them.

Quote Originally Posted by tonypa
    How should Linux users feel? No Flash player at all for them.
    <sarcasm>
    That's still better than having no mousewheel support...
    </sarcasm>

Quote Originally Posted by Squize
    Bit confused by the tone of your post to be honest.

"I just want to know why they're ignoring me... I have to stop walking whenever I want to change weapons in Heli Attack 3, because Macromedia don't seem to realise Macs can have proper mice."

You act like you have a right to have every feature you want in Flash, and MM are ignoring you totally.
    Dozens, if not 100s, of features didn't make it into the final build of Flash which people flagged up. How many Mac users are there ? And from that, how many have a mouse with a scroll wheel ? And further down, how many feel lost because 1 game isn't quite as playable as it possibly could be ?
    I imagine if scroll wheels were a pretty standard and almost integeral part of using a Mac support would be higher on MM's list of priorities. Personally I would have thought the near parity in speed on both platforms would be more than enough.

Sorry if this seems like a personal attack, but your post just seems like a moan for the sake of it, and doesn't really help or improve anything at all in this forum.

Squize.
    Hey, I'm only getting angry because Macromedia have never returned a single email of mine, and that this is the second version of Flash where Windows have had the feature, and we haven't. I'd let it slide if they could give me a reason for leaving it out twice, and actually give me some confirmation that someone's actually trying to do something about it, or that it can't be possible, or that they're sorry. Instead, they've just continued being silent about it and pretending that nothing's wrong.
    You know you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by VENGEANCE MX
    Hey, I'm only getting angry because Macromedia have never returned a single email of mine, and that this is the second version of Flash where Windows have had the feature, and we haven't. I'd let it slide if they could give me a reason for leaving it out twice, and actually give me some confirmation that someone's actually trying to do something about it, or that it can't be possible, or that they're sorry. Instead, they've just continued being silent about it and pretending that nothing's wrong.
    sorry mate, but come on, if macromedia replied to each and every feature request personally they wouldn´t get to work on their apps anymore.
    If you have a feature request, post it here:
    http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/mm...duct=15&6213=9
    As i said they integrated open gl support for the mac plugin which shows that they invested massive amounts of time for a minor (smaller) user group compared to the huge pc market to give them a heavily improved experience. As Squize said,too there are way less mac users than pc users and within that group only an even smaller part has a mousewheel. As i said MM checks which features are asked for most and then tries to add those in the next flash built if possible.
    Just like any other developer i have many feature wishes which didn´t make it into this release, however i think its also important to keep in mind that this is one of the best (imho the absolutely best) flash release in ages and it shows that mm tried to really pack in a lot this time, so i think its a bit heavy to state things like i´m disappointed in such bold manner.
    i see why you´re worried having to wait longer for something you wanted now but hey, there´s really much to be happy about this time around already, no need to be that worried

Quote Originally Posted by tomsamson
    As i said MM checks which features are asked for most and then tries to add those in the next flash built if possible.
    You heard the man, spam them good .

"Hey, I'm only getting angry because Macromedia have never returned a single email of mine... Instead, they've just continued being silent about it and pretending that nothing's wrong."

lol. You sound like you were going out with them and they dumped you. They never phone, they never write, you were worried sick.

How much would it cost to employ someone to answer each and every email ? What wages would a customer care operative be on ? Let's go low, let's say £13k a year. So MM could either pay someone £13k a year to send an email back saying "Thanks for your interest, your request has been added to our customer's wish list", or they could have an automated system that just sends back a standard email and just pulls out keywords every week or so and plots them into a graph of most requested features.

What would you do if you were a business trying to make money ?

Here's a quick test. How many people here would rather:

a) Have mouse wheel support for macs.
    b) Be able to set the text colour for each individual trace command.

Now I've not chosen a stupid "Mouse wheels vs full 3D support", just a simple one to aid development. I'm guessing more people would want an enhanced trace command.

Squize.

I hate to say it, but he has a point.
    When you support the player on multiple platforms, it should be your responsibility to have them all perform the same way. Its really that simple. It would be a different story if you were developing a costly purchasing system, and the Mac player wouldnt do socket connections (or something to that effect). The wheel may not seem important, but its a supported feature, therefore it should be supported on Mac too.

This said, there is one fair reason why this hasn't been done, and that is that wheel mice have not been supported officially by Apple until recently (MightyMouse), so maybe Mac users will get it soon.
    Christopher Rhodes
    squarecircleco.

Squize, the thing is, we were supposed to be able to use this feature already, in Flash MX 2004. In Flash 8, we still don't have it, even though the Flash Player is supposed to be completely cross-platform compatible. Why add a feature to the Windows Player if they don't intend to add it to the Mac Player? Although it's probably worth saying that Macromedia did spoil us a bit with the OpenGL rendering, but that just makes the player perform better - it's not as if it allows you to do stuff in different ways.
    You know you want to.