A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Panasonic: new digicam

Panasonic: new digicam

I have been looking around for a new digital camera since I lost mine in Prague and I am liking the Panasonic FZ5 and FZ20.

Question is, which one? They are very similar.

Someone mentioned that FZ5 does not have a manual focus, how important is this feature?

I would like to get more into photography so that means the ability of adding conversion lens, filters, etc. -- "almost" like a SLR-style digicam.

Personally I have always hated autofocus.
    granted I don't shoot sports.
    Usually no matter what the autofocus grabs the most centered object which is
    rarely where the subject matter should be (rule of thirds/balance)

so Frets in your eyes, it is better to get a FZ20 and the manual focus is worth the price (approx extra £100)?

An extra 100 JUST for manual focus...must be something else?
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Quote Originally Posted by WannaBe_80z
    An extra 100 JUST for manual focus...must be something else?
    flash shoe is on FZ20 but not FZ5.

Well it's a matter of personal choice always.

The subject matter is rarely dead center and that is what an autofocus will
    always rely on when deciding what to focus in on. Being able to selectively
    focus on the area you want to as opposed to the camera can make all the differnce.
    Take a look at This pic by Miles http://mute.rigent.com/index.php?ladat=2005-07-21
    Where the subject matter is not the artist (or the wall where the center of the image is but the people watching.

Some camera's have a focus lock mechanism where no manual focus is avalable.
    you point to where you want the focus to be shift then shoot. Those seem more
    trouble then they are worth.

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frets
    The subject matter is rarely dead center and that is what an autofocus will always rely on when deciding what to focus in on.
    Not necessarily, any decent camera with auto focus will have selective AF points. Additionally, one of the most common AF settings is to focus on the closest object not the center object.

The Panasonic DMC-FZ20 looks to be a better overall camera, even though you will be stuck with the permanently mounted lens. For $200 USD more you could go with a Canon EOS 300D and you would have a much nicer camera IMHO.

Let us know what you get, and post some photos with it as well. Good luck!

thanks guys for your help. I checked out Canon EOS 300D and it is a tad bit expensive for me!

Got a fair amount to learn about photography anyway and maybe FZ5 will do a good job for me..... Basically need a digicam that I will use to learn and improve my photography skills/knowledge then later down the road, I can always "upgrade".

have a look at the canon powershot G5.

its getting on a bit now but is still a great camera - only 4x zoom compared to the panasonic's 12x but you can always get new lenses for the G5.

It also has plenty of manual features to keep you interested as you develop.