A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ooh... Motorola's CEO bad-mouthing Apple...

Affordable? Yes. Feature-laden? Depends. I have a V710 that does a bunch of crap I don't care about. Dropped it once and the front is all mangled. And the menus are a pain in the ass. Can't even use the damn bluetooth for file transfer. Not only is the built-in memory limited, it ships with a bunch of crap on it you can't delete. (Dumb wallpapers, sounds.)

I'd really just like another Startac. Sturdy, easy to use, strong signal, good battery life.
    Last edited by PAlexC; 09-27-2005 at 01:27 AM.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

zakpo, you affiliated with motorola...?

If it does a "bunch of crap" you dont even care about, why would you get it? That's just stupid. Why get a phone that does stuff you dont care about? Get a lower end phone instead. Get a phone from a different manufacturer if you have to. I dont buy Motorola phones all the time. Hell no. I've owned more Nokias and Sony Ericssons than I have owned Motorolas. Keyword here though "owned".

I just spoke about the UI. If it cant transfer a file using bluetooth, then obviously something's wrong with the phone. If you want it to work, stop moaning and take it back to the service center. My PSP had issues, I didnt just moan about it and say that Sony sucks, I took it back and got a replacement. "Not only is the built-in memory limited" - umm...how can you get built in memory that ISNT limited? What? Every form of memory is "limited".

Yes, we provide wallpapers and ringtones that are manufacture only, and therefore considered undeletable. But then, what about carriers? They do that too. Infact, hell, they completely change navigation systems, like Vodafone for example. And, our wallpapers and ringtones ARE deletable. There are ways to do that. Plus, you saying they're "dumb" is opinated. My brother had the E398 MTV version, and it came with some hella beautiful wallpapers.

luvenny, I work for Motorola New Zealand But I'm not taking sides, im trying to stop people from bashing a company for one product. Motorola's still selling loads. Why? Obviously not because it sucks.

Dude, you're fighting a valiant fight; however one you can't win. Trying to change people from bashing the oft-delayed, horrendously ugly, and nigh-unusable ROKR is a waste of time, conversation and effort.

It's like defending an ugly chick you're dating. If you're happy, who cares what other people think. Even if they laugh in your face, why should you care?

Not unless she has scurvy and talks like a pirate. Then I'm going to have to clown you publicly until you get a new amendment to the local laws to have me deported.

It's easy to call it all "dumb" though. I mean, you buy a iTMS enabled phone, and you can't buy over the air, you can't sync up files quickly, you're limited - by whomever - to use only 100 songs at a time when it can obviously store more via removeable memory cards. And above all, it just looks like a phone I would have owned in 1999. Perhaps.

And the UI. I've had to help plenty of people with their convoluted UI. Ergonomics isn't something that Motorola understands... and it shows.

Motorola sells a lot because either Nokia has pissed off the user enough to make them go elsewhere - that's my reason for not having an Nokia really since my 8860/8890 phones. And what else is out there? LG? Cheaper quality than Motorola. Somehow.

The V3x has my attention - loving the dark cobalt color - but it needs a simplified (read: useable) UI.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Eh? Gerbs, a little off there. I'm NOT defending the ROKR. I'm defending Motorola.

And, sorry to wash away your hopes but um, V3x will have a UI remarkably similar to that of the ROKR. At the moment though, just go along with the rumours, I dont know much about it either. I heard they aint even sure its gonna be out, and I cant even confirm that for myself.

And er...ROKR was originally meant to be able to download off air, but the plan was certainly not dropped because of Motorola, but *cough* because of one of the other companies part of the deal *cough*.

oh, you're defending Motorola?

well... replace ROKR with Motorola. They still put out more suck than good.

and a good CEO would have negotiated his stance on technology a bit better.

Yeah yeah... Give it up, you've lost, Motorola suck, having used several of their phones and returning them because they were so bad, I'm not just picking one model here, every single motorola I've used, be it a friends mobile, company mobile, own mobile, they've all been absolutly rubbish.

Like I say, post a motorola phone that is attractive, has decent usable features, isn't the size of a house and has a new UI then I'll be happy

i heard MOTO makes a pretty decent G4 chip, right? There's a relationship built to last years and years in the future. MOTO G6 chips baby! Here they come!

actually, the G4's are mostly made by Freescale. Motorola skipped out on CPU's a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by Markp.com
    Like I say, post a motorola phone that is attractive, has decent usable features, isn't the size of a house and has a new UI then I'll be happy
    Motorola E680i

3D Surround sound stereo speakers.
    MMC/SD (2GB).
    Intel xScale 300 Mhz Processor.
    Compatible with wireless stereo bluetooth headsets.
    Fullscreen Video Playback.

And it runs on Linux, not the Motorola UI that you're used to seeing. And its smaller than the SE P9xx, yet, quite a bit more functional, in our geeky terms of use. Also, I think it looks great. However, looks are opinionated. You might think it looks terrible, but the people I've known to own one (including myself) grew to love it aesthetically too.

That's about the only one beside the V3x that's gotten my attention since like PAlexC keeps referring to the Startac... seriously.

It's quite inexpensive in the states too...

just curious, how does surround sound work on a phone?
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

Quote Originally Posted by zakp0
    Motorola E680i

3D Surround sound stereo speakers.
    MMC/SD (2GB).
    Intel xScale 300 Mhz Processor.
    Compatible with wireless stereo bluetooth headsets.
    Fullscreen Video Playback.

And it runs on Linux, not the Motorola UI that you're used to seeing. And its smaller than the SE P9xx, yet, quite a bit more functional, in our geeky terms of use. Also, I think it looks great. However, looks are opinionated. You might think it looks terrible, but the people I've known to own one (including myself) grew to love it aesthetically too.
    Fugly... I said show me something attractive... Why do you need/want surround sound on a phone with only a max of 2GB space? Its not likely you'll be watching full length movies on it and the sound will probably suck arse anyway...

Does it have a camera? Does it come in different colours? Whats with that fugly pointer thing?

Its just wrong wrong wrong! If this is what you're touting as the "next big thing" from Motorola, then I'm continuing to stay away.

On the plus side, linux is a step forward, which may make the phone interesting to hack, but I bet it has security tighter than a ducks arse to stop you doing that...

Next big thing? It's been out for months. It being "fugly" is your opinion. It's touch screen, hence the "ugly pointer thing". So now you're whining that it HAS a feature? That's just pathetic. You just dont want to be proven wrong. And YES it IS likely you'll be watching full length movies on it, thats what I've been doing, that's what all the other peeps I know who own the phone have been doing.

Sound doesnt "suck arse". Its brilliant. Yes it has a camera, its VGA, one of the best VGA's in the market. Camera chosen was VGA because otherwise the phone price + size would sky rocket. Yes it comes in different colors, I've spotted 3 so far, and tons of non-manufacture ones too. I'm not saying its the "next big thing", read before you say anything, its been out for months.

And yeah the Linux does help for a lotta weird things. I know someone who's been running a telnet server off his phone. No security problems whatsoever. Oh and did I mention that this phone's been a topper of the JBenchMark lists for a long time before?

I'd like to see a phone by ANY other manufacturer that even comes close to being this good.

On looks alone, I could pick many phones that "come close to being this good"

Same for features... Its a bit sad how blind you are to how sucky your companies products are... You are flashkits latest fanboy, but for motorola

Each to their own I guess... I don't see how those touch screen things are in every day use... generally they suck, and who wants to use a pen to call someone? Its the same reason I stayed clear of the SE P range... that and them being the size of a brick.

There was one phone that basically matches this and is better, built by an unknown - or fairly small mobile maker, ran linux, had this touch screen crap, had two mmc slots so a double size of what ever the max mmc card you could get...

I can't for the life of me remeber its name... I'll keep googling though

p.s. All motorollllllarse suck!

The screen's massive, I use fingers to call I work for Motorola, the least I can do is defend a company I work for, espescially knowing what things look like on THIS side of the fence.

Maximum size allowed by memory card isnt judged by the number of slots, its judged by software restriction. This phone having a 2GB limit doesnt neccessarily mean the phone you're talking about wont. And, who the hell wants a phone "built by an unknown" anyway?

YOU dont find use for the touchscreen. YOU think it looks bad. Wow, VERY opinionated. I find good use for the touchscreen, and I know a lotta other people do too. I think it looks great, and I know a lotta other people who do too. Face it, you just think Motorola's products suck because YOU dont like them. Nothing to actually do with the products. What's the opposite of fanboy? You're that.

zing?

I'm curious Markp, with all your whining about the Motorola design like a pink poodle with a perm, I haven't seen you post a pic or anything of what you think beats Motorola.

I don't care either way. I'm in a market for a new phone and I'm curious to see what you find so sexy about these other brands.

Quote Originally Posted by Visionray
    I'm curious Markp, with all your whining about the Motorola design like a pink poodle with a perm, I haven't seen you post a pic or anything of what you think beats Motorola.

I don't care either way. I'm in a market for a new phone and I'm curious to see what you find so sexy about these other brands.
    Like our resident fan boy said... design is subjective... as is opinion of style I know, from working in the industry that all the current range of motorola products are just fugly... there is no other way to describe them... it looks like they put all their creative talents into making the razor thing... which falls short on features ui etc...

Why the hell do the insist on STILL using vga cameras? They are absolutly rubbish... there is no point using old technology when trying to flog a new product! They have to step up and get with the 1mpx and above, or else they wont compete...

A no name phone? Sure, I'd be down with that... I really don't give a rats arse who makes my phone, as long as its compact, stylish, does everything under the sun, lasts years on battery and is what I consider, cool.

I'm not just some average joe who hates motorola (btw, great ad campaign with your Punjabi clients moto... "hello moto", means "hello fatty" in Punjabi!) I have and still do work in the industry, but for a media producer, not a phone company...

I know my shnizzle when it comes to phones and motorola, constantly don't cut it.

I would have said the same about samsung until recently, but they've really pulled themselves out of the crappy phone market and made the brilliant d500 (I disagree with their limiting of java/serial downloads - but realise they have to do that to stop pirating etc... I also think the d600 is a major mistake, it doesn't offer enough to make people switch from other phones and its fat, literally)

Anyway, I've rambled on enough, I have nothing against motorola, just their current range of phones is a major let down.

What exactly do you do for motorola Zak?

I'm a "Senior Technical Advisor" at the New Zealand branch. Quite lame really, we're free half the day. My job though includes me having to respond to major issues we're facing regarding some phones...like...we had software issues with the E398 working extremely slow, so im one of the people who has to deal with it, making arrangements on what we can do and what we cant do about it etc.

Other, and much better part of my job is "Competition Analysis". I have to "analyse" products, mainly cellphones, by other manufacturers, and deliver reports on them. So thats how we decide what we should/could or shouldnt/couldnt do for our next phones. So you see, we ARE doing something about our products, as one of the main things I have to report back on is the UI. And, even I dont know why, but we had 8 Japanese PSP's ordered in for the same reason. I'm guessing we're planning to release another multimedia heavy phone.

But at around 2 or 3 pm, all work's done and im sitting around on IRC Oh and, then there's MotoCoder, one of our projects, www.motocoder.com, its getting us through so much with our software and UI. Trust us to update our UI to something better soon