A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Anyone interrested in making a ''anime'' fps game?

Senior Member tongue of colicab's Avatar

Anyone interrested in making a ''anime'' fps game?

Hi, long time no see ^^ it must have been like 1 or 2 years since ive been here.

The last couple of months ive been doing some 3d and lately ive played with the idea of making a anime looking rail fps game in flash. You might wonder why flash and why a anime type game? well, I cant program for **** and I like anime ^^

My plan is to model everything in 3dsmax and than render it with finaltoon since it should be able to produce a close to perfect anime look and it can export to .swf though I still didnt manage to get any of the two working (Can export to .swf but without colors and make cartoon style lines but it doesnt look like anime at all yet but I guess thats just a matter of finding the right tutorial or playing around some more).

My 3d skills arnt very high yet though I do think I can model most things at a decent level (aka good enough for this purpose) as long as its not organic looking.

To give you a idea here are some renders.

Im looking for some people that might be interrested in working on this with me. Im looking for a programmer, someone that can draw the maps and maybe someone for the textures (im not sure yet if you can render to .swf if you use textures).

I mainly want to do this to learn from things and just for fun so things might be going a slow pace from time to time though I do intend of finishing something (even if its just a 3 minute game) wich is of good quality.

Oh btw the anime I had in mind on using is ghost in the shell.

better than chuck norris
    how to put this.......... no.
    too advanced. never get finished.
    i even have problems finishing my sentances.
    hey look, now i'm going to go and

How do you mean to complicated? im not talking about a real 3d engine but just about a game wich you can only follow the way the creator wants you. There are plenty of flash games like that.

The 3d part also aint to complicated. I've once tried to make a 3d like level using the draw tools in flash (like other games do) but its alot faster and easier to build it in 3dmax.

my x booty it is that BIG
    fps are hard or easy dependin on how you make them if easy most likely ull be able to do it yourself
    Project||[GAME]-on hold for now
    ------------------
    [Hero]-80%
    [Enemies]-1%
    [Weapons]-90%
    [Items]-0%
    [Levels]-10%

Build-Engine builder
    hang on. u saying those are your own originals? if so i'm impressed!

question. why flash, and not blueray DVD?
    and why anime when you could just sprite size the models and keep some realism?

anyway, u say FPS so.. *bows respectfully* here's my calling card.

well yeah, i'm just about to texture and speed test it in Fate, and prolly expansionize it. the interface- whole look'n'feel could certainly use some collab. (not a 3 min game thou )
    "This is the first step of a long journey." -andre michelle, Recycle.

Build-Engine builder
    Quote Originally Posted by tongue of colicab
    im not talking about a real 3d engine
    oh, wrong thread. my bad.. :-|

Yeah I made those models. They arnt so great though (the mech and tank arnt even finished), Im sure about everybody could make something like that after a few tuts and some practise.

I want a anime look because I think anime looks really good and if done right it even can look realistic.

I checked your link but thats not really what I ment. I'm talking about a game where everything is in one big animation so you dont really have a choice of where you want to go or look.

Oh and I didnt really get ur flash/blueray thing :P

Build-Engine builder
    re: blueray, --- PS3 --- 50K$ 3D engine

nice models i wish i could do something in 3d!!
    - - - - - - - -

Well, I haven't done anything in Flash for AGES. May as well. My MSN address is:

abirch01 (at) hotmail (dot) com
    http://www.birchlabs.co.uk/
    You know you want to.

2D/3D Artist & Programmer Dominicaninja's Avatar
    Pretty good. If I had money I would hire someone to help me model stuff in 3D. Cause it's hard having a no-pay full-time job and then going home and cranking out stuff in 3D Studio Max and then importing and making it work in Flash. My 3D stuff isn't that great either, but its actually coming out pretty well as small prerendered sprites in Flash. Good luck finding people. Sounds ambitious...

If you want to make your models cartoonish, you can use swift 3d. They even have a swf exporter