A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AIM with a MAC

Hybrid View

AIM with a MAC

So im trying to tell a computer illiterate person on a Mac how to send a folder of images to me through AIM. I have no idea how to do this for Macs.... anyone care to give me some instructions that I can give to her?

FK's Official Mac Hater jasonsplace's Avatar
    First they need to switch to a PC.....
    Jason L. Wright
    I'm not that hard to imitate. Just make some random negative claim at Apple or anything else for that matter and then have nothing to back it up.

I already suggested that to her

Wouldn't it be the same as pc? people(or whatever menu it is, not on aim right now) send file and then instead of selecting a single file they say directory and select the folder?
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Just use Stuff-It to compress the folder to an archive, *.zip for you PC only blokes, and send the damn thing that way.

The fact that you all are so clueless about the OS you seem to hate so much just never ceases to amuse me.

Xenophobic OS geek shut-outs. All OS's are pretty much the same when you really get down to it.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

I've used Mac OS and it's not so much the OS I hate....Windows XP is better but I don't like tha Mac computers. They are ugly, expensive, and hard to do hardware stuff with. It's so mych easier to get stuff for a PC. You go to a computer store and they have 95 aisles with PC stuff and half an aisle with Mac stuff.
    Jason L. Wright
    I'm not that hard to imitate. Just make some random negative claim at Apple or anything else for that matter and then have nothing to back it up.

Mac vs PC thread...yay.

If you like macs, use a mac. If you like PC's, use a PC. If you like both as i do, use both. That's why theres a choice.

Lets start a "Kraft Macoroni & Cheese" vs "Velveeta Shells & Cheese" debate.

Kraft Macoroni & Cheese RULZ!!! VELVEETA SUX CUZ ITS HARD 2 MAKE AND EXPENSIVE AND UGLY!!!!!!!!!!!111

you meant you went to a computer store in 1995 with aisles of pc stuff and half an aisle of mac stuff, right?

last i checked usb was usb and a dvi monitor was just that. i dunno. maybe steve jobs just sends me and subway special macs.

Quote Originally Posted by erova
    you meant you went to a computer store in 1995 with aisles of pc stuff and half an aisle of mac stuff, right?

last i checked usb was usb and a dvi monitor was just that. i dunno. maybe steve jobs just sends me and subway special macs.
    Actually it was last week. USB maybe USB but if the drivers aren't available for a mac then oh well...This also includes software aisles. PC's have every software title that you would ever need along with everything that you'd never use...Mac's have like 10 programs...
    Jason L. Wright

Quote Originally Posted by jasonsplace
    Actually it was last week. USB maybe USB but if the drivers aren't available for a mac then oh well...This also includes software aisles. PC's have every software title that you would ever need along with everything that you'd never use...Mac's have like 10 programs...
    I've never had a problem with USB on a Mac really since MacOS 8.x. In fact, I've never needed drivers for USB since Windows 95 OSRB...

I'm actually starting to seriously think you're quite clueless or just repeating some other rant you've overheard elsewhere just based on the fact that you're talking about USB driver issues on a Mac without really stating any specifics.

Pertaining software, if you mean by your store purchases, you're doing good to see a few Mac software titles in a store that also doesn't sell Macs. Sorta makes sense... sell the hardware, sell the software.

But 10 programs? I have more than that in my favorites via my dock alone.

I was scared to start this thread because it would turn into "one of those" types of debates. In honesty, Ive probbaly logged about 10 hours total on OSX so I dont know jack about it.... so all i am asking is if there is a way to send a whole folder using the Mac version of AIM (like the "Send Directory" option in the Windows version)? If not, I guess i could walk her through zipping a file although that will be an ordeal.

Allan Jardine
    Zipping is dead easy. Option-click (right click) and select 'create archive'... Couldn't be easier

control click actually

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    * open desk drawer and pulls out huge rubber band*
    ..Mac's have like 10 programs...
    * AIMS at jasonsplaces' forehead *

Are you crazy? You mean games not programs. People who buy Macs don't buy them to play games they buy them because they are faster than PC's. PS run substantially faster on a PowerMac than on a PC.

Any program worth it's salt has a Mac version. OSX makes it even easier to port to now with it's Unix core. Pay attention!

>SHWACK!<

I don't even play games anymore (and if I do it's a quick game of solitaire). The big name programs are all available on Mac as well as PC but i'm talking about all of the free utilities that are available...plus there still isn't a decent tool to make Flash projectors on a Mac (I mean good projectors...not the ones that Flash exports).
    Jason L. Wright

I don't even play games anymore (and if I do it's a quick game of solitaire). The big name programs are all available on Mac as well as PC but i'm talking about all of the free utilities that are available...plus there still isn't a decent tool to make Flash projectors on a Mac (I mean good projectors...not the ones that Flash exports).
    Do more research. Only caveat, it's not free.

But then again, most of the free utilities out there - Screenweaver excepted - mainly suck on the PC.

Hey, let's not stop there. Where are the flash utilities for Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick
    Do more research. Only caveat, it's not free.
    Hey, let's not stop there. Where are the flash utilities for Linux?
    I didn't say that they had to be free, just good (meaning SWF Studio). I've had a lot of run-ins with MDM and will never be using any of their products after the way that they treated me. I also didn't say that I support Linux although I do think that it is the best platform to use as a web server. I have used it a little bit for other stuff but haven't really taken the time to learn it. I haven't really seen a purpose yet but I will probably sit down with it someday. The stores around here don't usually sell Mac stuff. I think we have 1 Mac store within 30 miles of here and CompUSA with their little Mac corner (that no one ever goes too).
    Jason L. Wright

OMG!!!one MAcs are teh ghey!!!eleventeenhundred!!

jasonsplace, let me explain something:

The development of the current state of the PC was the culmination of efforts and oneupsmanship of several large and hundreds of smaller companies. It propogated from business then into the home, starting with enthusists. These people knew the guts and supported business machines which had to be cost-effective above all else. To do that, standards had to be defined.

Apple, broke down the 'geek' barrier for the home user, creating a clean, all-in-one solution. A tradition they carry on today with things like iLife. There will always be a segment of the population who needs that, or just plain out wants it.

Your whole argument about "PC's have every software title that you would ever need along with everything that you'd never use..." falls down, because a computer, whether PC or Mac, is all about filling the user's needs not just from a software availability standpoint, but from hand-holding and features aspects as well.

This is ultimately why the Mac/PC debate is utterly pointless. And when you get into print, web and multimedia design, it really becomes just a matter of preference.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

god damnit, jason you woke up the beast.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

I think what he's trying to say is that LimeWire doesnt have a lot of mac stuff. Right Jason?