A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bible Open To Interpretation

Bible Open To Interpretation

Well I never!

Catholic Church no longer swears by truth of the Bible

THE hierarchy of the Roman Catholic Church has published a teaching document instructing the faithful that some parts of the Bible are not actually true.

The Catholic bishops of England, Wales and Scotland are warning their five million worshippers, as well as any others drawn to the study of scripture, that they should not expect “total accuracy” from the Bible.

“We should not expect to find in Scripture full scientific accuracy or complete historical precision,” they say in The Gift of Scripture.

BELIEVE IT OR NOT

UNTRUE

Genesis ii, 21-22
    So the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon the man, and while he slept he took one of his ribs and closed up its place with flesh; and the rib which the Lord God had taken from the man he made into a woman and brought her to the man

Genesis iii, 16
    God said to the woman [after she was beguiled by the serpent]: “I will greatly multiply your pain in childbearing; in pain you shall bring forth children, yet your desire shall be for your husband, and he shall rule over you.”

Matthew xxvii, 25
    The words of the crowd: “His blood be on us and on our children.”

Revelation xix,20
    And the beast was captured, and with it the false prophet who in its presence had worked the signs by which he deceived those who had received the mark of the beast and those who worshipped its image. These two were thrown alive into the lake of fire that burns with brimstone.”

TRUE

Exodus iii, 14
    God reveals himself to Moses as: “I am who I am.”

Leviticus xxvi,12
    “I will be your God, and you shall be my people.”

Exodus xx,1-17
    The Ten Commandments

Matthew v,7
    The Sermon on the Mount

Mark viii,29
    Peter declares Jesus to be the Christ

Luke i
    The Virgin Birth

John xx,28
    Proof of bodily resurrection
    My favorite part
    A Christian charity is sending a film about the Christmas story to every primary school in Britain after hearing of a young boy who asked his teacher why Mary and Joseph had named their baby after a swear word.

Link

lol @ the kid comment.

Good on them, I say - if more religous orgs would make this kind of announcement the world would be a better place.

If you'll permit an atheist the privilidge of saying so, God bless 'em.
    Hush child. japangreg can do what he wants. - PAlexC
    That was Zen - this is Tao.

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    yet your desire shall be for your husband, and he shall rule over you.”
    is there anyway we could switch this back to true and find some way to enforce it?
    ONLY RON PAUL AND ALUMINUM FOIL CAN SAVE YOU NOW!
    annoy your politician fairtax.org, a political forum

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

HAHAHAHA!
    Sounds like a feminist got hold of em.

Or a Jesuit.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    ...and God said 'Julian needs your money'.

And it was so.

God is such the player

Like the Bible wasn't open to interpretation before. Nobody could ever raise a smile by offering that these Catholic types were up with the times.
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

lol hurricane1.
    The "birth" sequence from Monty Pithon's The Meaning of life springs to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by hurricaneone
    Like the Bible wasn't open to interpretation before. Nobody could ever raise a smile by offering that these Catholic types were up with the times.
    Especially among Catholics themselves.

Let's just say most of us must be pretty patient.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog

Skill_Unabletospell_guy skill_guy101's Avatar
    I cant believe it,

why dont us christains take the bits of the bible that dont fit into the way we wanna do things and say that you dont have to believe it.

rediculous! next they will be saying "Believe in Jesus and you will have no struggles in life" and "Dont worry we've taken the bad bits of the bible out like song of solomon and genusis" "Follow these rules and you will get into heaven"

Bahh, Whats going on?
    I like good music.

reality-1
    jesus-0
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

Skill_Unabletospell_guy skill_guy101's Avatar
    Ok i can see this getting ugly im leaving
    I like good music.

They're not saying it's worthless skill_guy, they're saying certain parts aren't literal. IMO, this is just adding some officialness to it. Most Catholics have kind of operated on that assumption for a long long time.

So they still believe that they're essentially drinking/eating Jesus at communion, though?
    I really enjoy forgetting. When I first come to a place, I notice all the little details. I notice the way the sky looks. The color of white paper. The way people walk. Doorknobs. Everything. Then I get used to the place and I don't notice those things anymore. So only by forgetting can I see the place again as it really is.

Quote Originally Posted by PAlexC
    They're not saying it's worthless skill_guy, they're saying certain parts aren't literal. IMO, this is just adding some officialness to it. Most Catholics have kind of operated on that assumption for a long long time.
    Aye. That, or just to get non-Catholics to stop making assumptions about what they believe, based on literal readings.

Quote Originally Posted by PAlexC
    Most Catholics have kind of operated on that assumption for a long long time.
    but before, doing so was risking being called an "un-orthadox" catholic so to speak, by the "purists"...

I think more and more "facts" are beng checked about things written in the bible. So, to save "face" they have to admit to some things, that as a society, most places dont embrace. (obediant wives..etc)..

I also think there has been some "facts" revealed, and the church is changing its tune before it goes public! (Mary Magdanlynn) s?
    </conspiracy>

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Designs
    So they still believe that they're essentially drinking/eating Jesus at communion, though?
    I've always thought that was pretty messed-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Designs
    It's metaphorical.

Quote Originally Posted by whispers
    but before, doing so was risking being called an "un-orthadox" catholic so to speak, by the "purists"...

I think more and more "facts" are beng checked about things written in the bible. So, to save "face" they have to admit to some things, that as a society, most places dont embrace. (obediant wives..etc)..

I also think there has been some "facts" revealed, and the church is changing its tune before it goes public! (Mary Magdanlynn) s?
    </conspiracy>
    I think it's far more common for non-Catholics to be ignorant of what they consider fact or how the bible is interpereted than it is for Catholics to be diluded about the "facts". How Catholics interperet the bible is explained very plainly in the official Catechism for anyone interested. It doesn't sound like this book is a pre-cursor to a revision in the next print of the Catechism thats been in circulation for years.

Quote Originally Posted by aversion
    It's metaphorical.
    No - in the Catholic faith, they believe in transmutation - that the wafer and the wine become Jesus' body and blood. Many Protestant religions take issue with this, but this is part of the nature of Catholicism.

In fact, they say that if you don't believe in it, you are not to take communion. Extending this, according to the church, you cannot be Catholic if you don't believe in transmutation.
    Last edited by Ultima Designs; 10-07-2005 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aversion
    It's metaphorical.
    Like Ultima said, no, it's not. I had even asked that when learning about the eucharist.