A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: shopping cart?

The new Miva software works well. The thing with Miva is that your web host is pivotal for it's performance. Some people in the past complained about the long load times due to real time compliation...

Here is an example of a site that uses Miva, intergrated seamlessly. madcattoys
    Freebies:
    Sound Loops | Sound Effects | Images | Code Pigs | 6ood coff33

The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments.

Network Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by admedia
    Why would you give MIVA such a ringing endorsement?
    Just curious as I know it's one of the better known and widely used pay carts.
    The licensing is horrible (read: expensive).
    It's a pain in the ass from a hosts point of view.
    It's compiled and therefore very difficult to change/bugfix (and yes, there are bugs).
    It's very weak out of the box, and requires (or, did in the very near past) a number of add-ons to make it worthwhile.

ouch, so much to think about. I think the initial idea was to design a cart system using java...i have studied java, i am ok with it...but the main reason for posting this, is to be able to get comments from you people so i can then go with an argument, endorsing maybe some other alternative...i just think that you have to be a mega mega brilliant programer in java to achieve something that you can get with these programs...and i am gonne be paid something like $700 a month to do this, and i have approx 2 months....(i am in chile, i dunno if thats good money in USA and other places...) i have confidence in my java ability, but just want to check out alternatives...

thanks for the comments

Java applets load like an overweight pig if your not careful coding them.
    Freebies:
    Sound Loops | Sound Effects | Images | Code Pigs | 6ood coff33

The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments.

tell me about it dude! java is what i studied, but its not my favourite...and for something like this...a shopping cart, i think the most important factors have to be security and a nice "clean & easy" interface for the user...is flash + php or maybe xml a good option? what disadvantages over java are there?

thanks for the posts p-ple!