A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Camera Connections

Camera Connections

Hi,
    Our company is considering using flashcomm and web cameras to show streaming video on our website.

We are looking at purchasing stand alone cameras that will have their own IP addresses. Such as http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=295 .

My question/s:

Is it possible to stream the output of a stand alone camera (with an IP address) to a flashcomm server and then connect to that camera through flash??

Would it be better to utilise stand alone cameras with wireless connections to the server? Will flash pick up cameras with wireless connections? And stream it that way?

Is there any requirement for a video capture card?

Thanks for your time.
    Swimming with some beautiful sharks!

It is possible to connect as many cameras as your CPU will handle. The input method of the camera is irrelevant because you choose your camera connection from the flash player itself. By opening multiple instances of the same flash player application you transmit the input of the flash player to FlashCom. You can use any cameras or capture software that is installed on the machine on which it is hosted. This means that you can use tools such as Camtasia studio to capture a portion of the screen as well as capturing video cameras such as web cams capture devices and audio both live and streaming and still at the same time serve up dynamic charts. Flashcom is a full service application limited to capabilities of your technical staff and your hardware. You can chain several machines together to do live multicast and with one license purchased from Macromedia you can serve 5.000 simultaneous connections. This will greatly depend on the amount of bandwidth you have available from your ISP. Personally I serve my web sites and a few of my clients very easily with FLC installed on a 3Gig Pentium 4 connected to a standard user high speed (1Gig upload) ISP. If by some chance I get really lucky and get a glut of business, I will be forced to set up a T1 line but to be honest I host around 100 videos and run a web radio station from this little tiny installation sitting in the closet of my office. What impressed me the most about FCS was reading the white papers on Macromedia's web site that showed the hardware that was used when developing FlashCom. Would you believe they used 3 Athalon 1Gig machines with 1gig of ram to serve the earlier audio and video needs of the entire Macromedia web site.
    When I first saw Macromedia use video I was certain that they were using some great super computer to meet the demands of a heavy traffic site such as theirs. Now that I have been running FLC for about a year I have no idea how I ever lived without it. I find that I can use the demo applications to wow my clients. I mean if you were to hire me I would send you and email with a link to my conference room. If I had something to show you I could have a live demonstration with slides audio and video up in less that an hour. This has allowed me to work across North America without leaving my little home office. It also allows me to show my client what their product would look like without giving them a copy. You got to be nuts not to acquire such a tool if you need to do presentations display data serve up audio and video. I have looked at Windows Media Services to do the same thing and found there is more than a great price difference and the Macromedia software is a lot easier to use than anything Microsoft has to offer. And oh yea I do not work for or am in no affiliated with Macromedia in any way.
    Really though, I love the new Microsofts applications they are still the best but they are also the highest priced and hardest to configure.
    Nuff said......
    Last edited by froze; 10-26-2005 at 03:08 AM.