A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how risky is it to make a flash 8 site?

how risky is it to make a flash 8 site?

Does anyone know what the % of people that have the plugin are?

Is it too early to make a company site in flash 8 ?
    http://www.shapermusic.com

swfBB Developer
    I would say its too early to make a company site yes unless you want to use some of the new features that flash 8 offers.

Flash, Mans greatest invention
    i would say its far to soon to even think about making a site in flash 8. I would wait maybe 8 months before making a flash 8 website.

you need your site accessable to as many people as possible and this just wont happen with flash 8.

swfBB Developer
    I would say waiting 8 months is a bit extreme. With each release of a new player version the take up to that new version is quicker than the previous one according to the stats on the macromedia site.

but the point of web design is to show people your bussness etc get more customers thats the whole point of web design if 20% of people cannot see your site than you have totaly failed as a web designer.

swfBB Developer
    I agree but waiting 8 months is extreme.

so cutting out 20% of you users just so you can use a few features you could of used before using 3rd party software is worth looseing 20% of customers.....
    Last edited by Dragonusthei; 10-18-2005 at 07:18 AM.

swfBB Developer
    Didnt say that. All my point was that you wouldnt have to wait the whole 8 months before starting to make stuff for player 8. Even 8.5 will be out before then

I'd just like to add that the new flash detection kit / express install is fantastic - it is pretty painless even for someone who knows nothing about flash - as long as they have player 6 that is...

I have discussed the issue with the company I am building a site for and they are agreeing with player 8...sweet. It just saves so much time using some of the new features, not to mention some kb's.

and how many ppl actually see the flash detection telling them they need to upgrade and actually upgrade insted of just pressing the back button? maybe 0.001% if your lucky

I think maybe that's a little pessimistic. Im talking about people who probably already know the company / old site, and you clearly put a friendly explanation when the express install appears. 1 click and it's done in a few seconds then automatically loads the site.

We had this discussion here many times:

http://flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?t=642382

It all depends who is asking you to make a site and for which audience. There are still apparently a number of users who have only Flash 5 player.
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

Quote Originally Posted by widster
    I think maybe that's a little pessimistic. Im talking about people who probably already know the company / old site, and you clearly put a friendly explanation when the express install appears. 1 click and it's done in a few seconds then automatically loads the site.
    people dont know company sites

people want to find something they type it in a search engine click the top results if it says you need to download this to view they click the back button and go to another company

although the new windows should have some modern flash player on it witch should make is alot more accessable

By the end of 2004 about 80-85% of people had player 7:
    http://www.macromedia.com/software/p...netration.html

It is likely to expect about same numbers for player 8 at the end of this year. Or maybe faster if the express install really works well.

Is that % of computers on the web or % of usage of computer on the web?

Cause i just cannot see the avg guy using his comp once a week. Installing a new flash player.

By the end of 2004 about 80-85% of people had player 7:
    That is MMs wishful thinking. I was asked this year to devlop for Flash 6 and possibly for Flash 5, because the client found out that many users coming to his site had still flash 5.
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

i have been to a site...

that used flash 8 and was on a computer that didnt have the newest version (8) installed. imediately the little window said that i need flash 8 and it went and installed it with just one click. there isnt much work involved in this and i would say that, because of the coolness factor of the new upgrade, i would reckon that any company willing to put work in a flash site will be willing to pay for an opening page the says you need the latest version of flash. with the filters and the video options its just too much to pass this by...you wont scare people away who have to wait to install the new player...infact, once they see the wizardry of your new site...they will be happy they did it!

We all whish that was true but the fact of it is its not. The fact is some one types in say shoes and they get your site that says please download flash 8 now..... they can take a few mins to get flash 8 or press the back button and go to your competators site that does not need flash 8. In most cases the target audience is the standard person who uses there computer once a week doesnt know what downloading is but knows about Viruses!!! and they go no way ill just press back.

your ment to be fighting to get customers, your customers are not ment to be fighting to get to your products..

Have you even seen the express install in action? If 'fighting' is pressing one button and waiting for about 5-10 seconds for flash to install and redirect you back to the site then I am putting flash 8 back on the shelf for the next 12 months. Screw progress, mx 2004 here I come!

I understand that but i just dont think ppl will click that button and wait 30 seconds over hitting the back button and not waiting any seconds.