A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Macs!

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WannaBe_80z
    I doubt they will be buying everyone quad cpu 16 gig desktops. I think freelance(yes it is small business compared to how much that mac cost) But I think big business's will either have render farms to send off files too or rent them.
    a large amount of ram can still be usefull when working with a very large model or real time simulation.
    ONLY RON PAUL AND ALUMINUM FOIL CAN SAVE YOU NOW!
    annoy your politician fairtax.org, a political forum

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

yeah $11900 is nuts Apple, you can get it at a place like newegg for $3000 or so

And yes, I said Apple. Why is it when Apple has a mistake(or even a grace) that Steve gets hit personally? Yeah I know he is the CEO and bleh bleh but he is just a spokesperson. I am sure he is involved in a lot of developments but he is only .0000001% of Apple as a whole.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Quote Originally Posted by Subway
    It's not meant to be a Photoshop killer.
    Um... ok... so why did you describe it as a photoshop killer?
    Last edited by Markp.com; 10-19-2005 at 04:09 PM.

Me? I never said that. I said some have been known to call it that(different wording)

Aversion put it perfectly.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    16 gigs of ddr2 from dell is 23000
    ONLY RON PAUL AND ALUMINUM FOIL CAN SAVE YOU NOW!
    annoy your politician fairtax.org, a political forum

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Quote Originally Posted by Markp.com
    Um... ok... so why did you describe it as a photoshop killer?
    The press called it like that previously to this event without really knowing what it is.

Fredi
    Mind Share Projects [ <- my latest projects ] [ my splash page -> ] Fredi Bach
    OS X Code (r,s) [ my Mac, web 2.0 and programming blog ]
    Not A Blog [ my personal weblog ]
    jMe Feed Aggregator [ my latest most famous project ]
    Web Command Line [ use the web like a real geek ]

Subway, you must can't read. I said multiple core, multi-threaded. Dual core chips exist in x86 land.

And the OS's largely don't take advantage of that, save Linux.

I did not mention hyperthreading.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Quote Originally Posted by WannaBe_80z
    I am sure he is involved in a lot of developments but he is only .0000001% of Apple as a whole.
    i'll place a wager he owns more of the company than that. before splits.

I mean employee ratio.

Does jobs even own 51% of the stocks anymore?

Here boy... read...

Only marginally faster... if that on most scores save disk test, and that's because of RAID0.
    Conclusion
    The Power Macintosh G5 is better than ever and this is likely the last major update that we will see before the transition to Intel- processors. Apple has polished the details and the new processors gives some extra power. Because the exterior is largely exchanged this feels more like a "speedbump" even if the processor-switch is more significant than that.

Performance-wise, one Dual Core processor doesn't make for a large difference compared to two old G5 processors. We predict that the new Quad 2.5GHz Powermac will make for a performance increase of 70% or more.
    Like I said. Doubly fast... my left and right buttock. And they're speculating the rest.

Don't say it. 70% != 200%, which is double.

gerbs, an increase of 70% means its 170% as fast as the original, which is 85% of the predicted speed of 200%. wow, i used % in that alot.

%.
    subgenius.com

Have a look at this pic:

That's OS X running on a four hyperthreaded core Intel machine. So OS X sees 8 threads. As you can see, OS X takes full advantage of all cores and threads.

In that test you've posted, the new 2.3GHz G5 is overall faster than the old 2.5GHz. Now he hasen't tested the quad G5, but if you look at that picture, it should be possible to get closer to 100% faster than he has predicted as OS X is able to really get those cores working and not just idling around. Always have in mind, OS X and the major apps on OS X are optimized for multi-core systems, for a long time, not like on Windows where the market share of multicore systems was so low in the past that nobody really cared to optimize anything for it. Of course this will have to change in the future with the current path Intel and AMD is taking.

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2005-10-10/#4588

Fredi

it's all Porches and Hondas guys. I just can't see spending an arm and a leg for speed and power I can aquire with a PC for half the price. Still, I'm saving for a powerbook.

A quad Intel PC doesn't cost half as much with comparable specs (at least if you're smart enough to not buy the RAM from Apple).

Fredi

photoshop killer? hahah. mac must be doing something right for there to be so many people that do their advertising work for them, for free.

back in the day, i was a computer salesman at a CompUSA. when the first IMac came out, there were mac fundamentalists on the sales floor that had VOLUNTEERED their time to help sell the stupid looks-like-it-belongs-in-a-boat computer. they were fully organized with cheaply made matching shirts and everything. and there were more of them than there were CompUSA salespeople. I had to kick a couple of the freaks out of the store because they kept jumping in and interfering with my sales if it was a PC.

anyway, kind of off-topic. sorry.

Good attempt at a deflect, kid.

First you regurgitate the "photoshop killer" headline without thinking only to have to retract that because its not a photoshop killer.

Then you bring up hyperthreading in a negative manner, only to use an example that uses 4 hyperthreaded Intel CPUs to prove...something not associated with the link and topic of dual core machines. Again missing the point about multiple cores and OS optimization being needed for that magical 200% speed wish, erm...increase.

Its an increase. Its not as much as your sources are stating.

But then again, I'm severely bored and seriously in a mood to call you on your wrongs... See above.

I cared long enough to just show where you're wrong. And were.

Meh. Last hurrah for the G5 is a small one.

Let's say it is just 70%. That's like if you overclock a 3GHz chip to 5.1GHz! I call that a massive update. If you don't call that massive, than your expectations are just way to high and you will never be happy with any new machine.

And I seriously can't understand why you understand my post "That rumored iPhoto pro app (called Photoshop killer by some)" as if I expected a Photoshop killer, because all I sayd was that based on some rumors some people called it a Photoshop killer.

Fredi

You misspelled "said"

Spooge all you want over benchmarks, it's an update that only effects a niche market. Apple could go out and smash benchmark records but it wouldn't matter, they're selling to their own flock with this kind of stuff. The most important thing for them is to sell iMacs and mini's to draw people to the platform.

Personally, I don't care about performance of multi-core systems, just the fact that they exist is enough so I can have several apps going at once without peaking the CPU.

hanratty, don't act so damn surprised over RAM prices from Apple. It's no secret that PC makers make their money on the upgrades.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Quote Originally Posted by PAlexC
    Spooge...

hanratty, don't act so damn surprised over RAM prices from Apple. It's no secret that PC makers make their money on the upgrades.
    spooge...heh.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised over that -- but I don't buy pre-fab PC's anymore (short of laptops) so I guess I am comparing apples to oranges.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |