A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Launching a new site at a public convention

Launching a new site at a public convention

I have a customer who does fancy invitations, and some marketing for her customers. Im designing the site for her. Well she is getting this group of business owners and professionals together at a coffee shop to help promote her business. Well she wants to announce her site there on a plasma screen. There isnt anything special about this site except for maybe an intro (woopy), and this customer insist that I be there. I do not want o look like an a$$. Im deffinitely not a good spontanious speaker. Id like to get some advice from some of you on what should I do or say.

Thanks
    Chad Landry
    UPS' official RIPP-OFF
    See full complaint here > www.actionfx.net/complaint.htm

Is there any reason to believe that your client expects you to make some sort of speech? If so, you ought to find out from her what she expects from you.

More realistically, she probably just wants you there as a means of showing off her site. Getting exposure in front of a group of business people is always a good thing, especially if a satisfied client is involved. Look at this as an opportunity to develop some relationships. Some of these people may wind up becoming clients themselves or referring business to you, if you handle it right.

Don't worry about what to say, just get the other person talking about the subject that interests him/her the most -- themselves. Try to spend some time talking with each person (assuming it's a relatively small group). Collect a business card from everyone you talk with. Send a follow-up "nice to meet you" note the next day, with your business card. If there's anyone you miss, get their contact information from your client and send them a "sorry I didn't get to speak with you" note (again, with your business card).

What you do from there is up to you. If there is anyone you think would make a good client or referral source, keep in touch with them, put them on your mailing list, invite them to lunch, etc.
    John Tabita
    Yellow-Tie Int'l - A business-development association
    for people who want to spend more time working with
    customers than selling & marketing to them.