A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Creating a CD-ROM tutorial in Flash MX 2004

Creating a CD-ROM tutorial in Flash MX 2004

Hello Everyone,

I am currently studying my BSC (hons) degree in computing and have been asked to create an interactive CD-ROM based tutorial for students 16yr+. I will be using Flash MX 2004 to create the software as I have had around 14months experience with the software and enjoy using it, and have around 5-6 months to complete the tutorial.

The idea of the tutorial is to combine a set of either flash mx or microsoft access tutorials which are currently paper-based and are handed out to students. The combined set of tutorials will be implemented into one flash application that I will create, im struggling on thinking of the best way to create this piece of software.

The first idea I had was to fully recreate the flash or microsoft access interface screen in macromedia flash mx 2004, and then to give the user on-screen instructions on how to perform each task, and also to give some form of user feedback to tell the user whether they have completed the task successfully. I was wondering how hard this this type of application would be to create in flash, and whether this would be a good way of creating the tutorials.

The second idea that I had was to take screenshots of the tasks whilst performing them, and then putting the screenshots into flash with instructions on how to complete each task.

The software I need to create needs to be quite extensive due to the module being a double project and the most important module on my course. Any type of feedback would be much appreciated as I am struggling to come up with a good concept. If anyone no's of any links to similar types of software so that I can get a good idea of how to create mine that would be great. Or if anyone thinks thats the ideas I already have could work well please give me some feedback.

Thanks, Kev

Moved from the Coffee Lounge... I'm sure any of you Flash gurus here could easily answer the question.

But if you're doing a tutorial based on the interface, why not capture what you do with Macromedia Captivate?

Just a thought.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Thanks

Ive thought about using captivate but feel that the tutor will think its to easy for the project.

really sorry for posting the same message a few times, I was just unsure on which forum section to post it on. Wont happen again, cheers

Kev

FK's Official Mac Hater jasonsplace's Avatar
    Who cares how easy it is to make. As long as it looks good and works. I developed a training program in Flash one time....I could possibly send you some of the stuff that I put together. I would recommend using a 3rd party tool along with Flash to make it look really good. I used SWF Studio for mine.
    Jason L. Wright
    I'm not that hard to imitate. Just make some random negative claim at Apple or anything else for that matter and then have nothing to back it up.

Re: Jasonsplace

Hi Jasonsplace, yeah that would be great if you could send me some of the things you put together so that I get a rough idea of a good design, what kind of training program was it?

Cheers, Kev

The training program was for the last company that I worked for. It trained on every aspect of software testing at our company but 2 of the sessions actually taught you how to use the bug database software programs that we developed. If I remember correctly, the sessions can run independent of each other so I will try to send you those 2 if you give me your e-maill address.
    Jason L. Wright
    I'm not that hard to imitate. Just make some random negative claim at Apple or anything else for that matter and then have nothing to back it up.

Yeah sure, its drevil9000_6@hotmail.com , sounds interesting, thanks for your reply

Kev

Do you know if theres a way of implementing videos created by Macromedia captivate in to flash mx? Do you think this would be the best way to create this type of software, or would it be better to recreate the interface in flash?

Kev

I think Captivate videos are exported as Flash. It would be the easiest and most professional way probably...That is if you have captivate. I did it all from scratch,
    Jason L. Wright

Quote Originally Posted by marinebro0306
    I think there's a program that converts SWF's to EXE's.
    There are lots of them...SWF Studio, Flash Studio Pro, Flash Jester....SWF Studio is the best.
    Jason L. Wright

Regarding "I think there's a program that converts SWF's to EXE's."

Jeps, the simplest is a part of your flash-app.
    If you navigate to the Macromedia/Flash folder you select the "Standalone player".

Drag your swf into the open window and save it in File/Create Projector.

Regarding your project: I think the old tutorials/lessons in Flash 5 were very good and helped me alot. The advantage is that you are already in Flash, instead of you having to mock up Flash.

If you don't have access to them and want them plz say so
    - good luck!

--------------
    It's alive!