A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: A fools Quest (help me!)

This way In

A fools Quest (help me!)

Ok, here's the deal;
    I've been working on a little project and designing the site for it. I decided to knock up some flyers and get a print run done to advertise a little. Fool that I am I threw the flyers together in flash, barely stopping to think about how much of a pain it would be to convert the resulting files into a meaninful print format (.eps, .tiff etc).
    So, in an effort to avoid re-designing the whole thing in illustrator I have copied the picture wholesale to the clipboard, chopped it down and stuck it into paint where I saved it as a .tiff file. Problem solved?

Well, you tell me. I have the files saved with CYMK colours and at 360dpi, though they do get a bit degraded when viewed up close they print out pretty clearly from my home equipment, will it be a waste of time sending these images to a print shop? Am I even asking in the right forum? Help a poor fool....

thanks.
    Good lord, it's been a while

You can export an image directly from Flash as an eps? What's the problem.
    Click here to visit Scooter's World, the Chihuahua/Pekinese who thinks she is a Doberman, and has the soul of a true "artiste". Computer graphics, animation, logos, mascots (Vector work a specialty.).

This way In
    Maybe in flash 8.... i'm on MX and I dont get the option to publish as an eps unless i'm missing something obvious...

This way In
    *ahem*
    So maybe the whole export image thing had escaped my memory temporarily, is that a crime? really?...
    thanks for the help phacker...

Yeah, you have to export image....no crime, just an oversight. I use Flash a lot to design graphics both static and animated so I use it a lot. And I am still using MX.
    Last edited by phacker; 10-30-2005 at 09:19 AM.
    Click here to visit Scooter's World, the Chihuahua/Pekinese who thinks she is a Doberman, and has the soul of a true "artiste". Computer graphics, animation, logos, mascots (Vector work a specialty.).

Print screen > Adobe Photoshop > Ctrl + N > (new window pops up; accept defaults) > Ctrl + v (paste) > Save as.
    (crop off the bits you dont want)
    Theres always a more complicated way of doing things
    Last edited by Natsia; 10-30-2005 at 09:48 AM.

This way In
    Yeah natsia, i've done much the same thing but had to run it through paint as I cant work with photoshop on this pc. problem is I think the print shop is still going to be unhappy about the anti-aliasing on the text. I guess i'll hash it out with them. Phacker, when I export to .eps through mx it doesnt recognise grouped images. I've used some transparencies and things that don't survive the ungrouping process... any idea how to get around this problem?
    thanks again for all the help.

I never group, so can't help you there. I either use graphic symbols or layer everything. You could always try exporting it to ai and open up ai and make sure everything is alright, but I have a feeling with your grouping it isn't going to be.

This way In
    Not to worry phacker, problem solved and everything's been sent off to the printers with a whole five minutes to spare in which to pat myself on the back for erm... finally realising i could also export as a .jpeg at a proper printable dpi. Oh the things we waste time on, it's a good job it's only my own i'm wasting eh? Now only 45990332 problems left to solve and I might have a troublefree launch in a month or so... yippee!

thanks for the help guys.

Glad you resolved your issues and found an export format. From now on stay away from grouping. Not sure where it really works.

This way In
    Well it's really a habit left over from when I used to animate in flash and would use seperate MC's on the same layer for different body parts or other such things. You can of course arrange the stacking of groups so it's kind of like having layers without layering. Of course you are right though, and layering is indeed more effective.

CorelDraw uses grouping too, as a native format scheme, but it's not something I would use across software formats. It's just to iffy.