A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How does one become the next Hillman Curtis?

How does one become the next Hillman Curtis?

Most Flash Designers know who Hillman Curtis is. We have seen his website http://hillmancurtis.com, and read his books: http://hillmancurtis.com/hc_web/books.shtml

But have any of us really sat down and made out a plan to become the next Hillman Curtis? It's a worthy goal, if you ask me.

So what does it take to become the next Hillman Curtis?

I will attempt to list the attributes I think are necessary. Please list your ideas.

Thanks

1. A Business Plan for Design Firm
    2. Selling Skills
    3. Communication Skills
    4. Let potential client know that your design skills can make them more money
    5. Branding Skills
    6. Diversify in your knowledge and skills of software
    7. Networking Skills
    8. Good Design Skills
    9. A Team of Designers
    10. Leadership Skills
    11. Ability to Deligate Tasks
    12. Ability to Art Direct
    13. Hire a team that is more talented than you
    14. Strength to work alone and get jobs done if freelancing

Your own talent seems to be missing from there. Hillman Curtis led his company by example not by good management. The plain fact is not everyone has the skill or talent to be the next Hillman Curtis, in fact I'd say very few people have.

The most important things, imho, are drive and talent neither of which are on your list. You can hire good managers, you need to be inspirational.

Quote Originally Posted by aversion
    Your own talent seems to be missing from there. Hillman Curtis led his company by example not by good management. The plain fact is not everyone has the skill or talent to be the next Hillman Curtis, in fact I'd say very few people have.

The most important things, imho, are drive and talent neither of which are on your list. You can hire good managers, you need to be inspirational.
    You are 100% correct!!! I stand corrected.

hillman also capitalized on opportunity. when he started incorporating "video" into flash back in the late 90s it was completely new and fresh. he didn't take more of the same old stuff and put a new spin on it, rather he came up with the new hotness.

just met the dude last month too. very down to earth relative to his accomplishments in the field...

Quote Originally Posted by erova
    hillman also capitalized on opportunity. when he started incorporating "video" into flash back in the late 90s it was completely new and fresh. he didn't take more of the same old stuff and put a new spin on it, rather he came up with the new hotness.

just met the dude last month too. very down to earth relative to his accomplishments in the field...
    I would be more interested in hearing how you met this cat.

he was guest lecturing where i teach. faculty happy hour afterwards...

Cool. Now begs the question,where do you teach?
    My guess is SVA. But you don't have to say if you don't like; even though I'm dying to know.

i also think you have to set up shop in a big city...peoria, kansas city, or birmingham will not do, despite the power of modern communications.

but av is right, there is no substitute for talent, so you've gotta have it. that said, you can have it, or the people you hire can have it. as a leader, you MUST surround your self with people that have more talent than you. only a poor leader will try to be the best. if you can inspire people that are more talented than you, success will be had.

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

Quote Originally Posted by nordberg
    as a leader, you MUST surround your self with people that have more talent than you. only a poor leader will try to be the best. if you can inspire people that are more talented than you, success will be had.
    That is one of the wisest things I have ever read about leadership! I'm going to remember that one.

Thanks