A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Importing External Video Dynamically

Importing External Video Dynamically

Hey, Its been a while since I've used Flash & actionscript but I'll take a shot. Essentially, I'm developing some software that will be being ran from a local machine - so bandwidth is not an issue. The video path/filenames will be pulled dynamically from a mysql database and into flash. Getting the filename from the mysql db using loadvars and a php script isn't the issue. Im just woundering whats the most eligent way of loading these external videos (.mpg/.avi/.mov) from the harddrive, and into flash.

From what i've read it seems that you can only import movies is by linking/importing the movie into a seperate .swf file. The problem with this is that I would need a seperate swf file for each movie file.

So essentially, my questions are as follows:
    -Is there anyway to dynamically load movie files into a flash file without creating swf files for each movie.
    -If the aboves not possible, is there anyway to create these swf files using php (editing the swf file's linkage using a str_replace of the files content or something- HIGHLY Unlikely)

Any help would be apprietiated.

--
    Edit: Just read up on .flv files... Ok so I can load them dynamically. Will the quality be good? - Also whats the best software out there for converting?
    --

Many Thanks!
    Last edited by ZaBoo; 10-13-2005 at 08:36 PM.

Hi ZaBoo,

You can use Flix Pro to convert your files into FLV files. You can download a demo here:http://www.on2.com. Yes the quality will be good if you use Flash 8 video.

Bolt
    My Flash Video Blog
    Get Flix Pro here (My starving college sister's affiliate link)

hey i tried to upload a flv video to a frame but it wont play what gives...

what should i do oh great ones

Hi NB4,

Look at this article from Macromedia: http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/fla...wnload_03.html. It explains about how to stream flv video.

Bolt
    My Flash Video Blog
    Get Flix Pro here (My starving college sister's affiliate link)