A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How do i get to the Root of the movie from within movies???

How do i get to the Root of the movie from within movies???

Hey Guys

Ok i've built a flash site, but i have animation within movies, that are within movies...lol

Basically when the last movie file finishes i need the flash file to change scene.

I have some actionscript that will go to the root of the movie and change scene but i dont seem to be able to get it to peform the action on its own just using a goto and play or something like that...I dont want to have to press a button to change the scene

Here is the code for the button root:

on (release){
    _root.gotoAndPlay("Home5");
    }

If anyone can help that would be great!

Thank you!

I thought you didn't want to use a button but you posted code for a button????

Anyway, if you have code that is supposed to triger an mc but it's not working the first thing you need to make sure of is that all your mcs are named and then make sure you have the path right. This is what it sounds like your problem is.

Quote Originally Posted by marshallhansen
    I thought you didn't want to use a button but you posted code for a button????

Anyway, if you have code that is supposed to triger an mc but it's not working the first thing you need to make sure of is that all your mcs are named and then make sure you have the path right. This is what it sounds like your problem is.
    Thats right i dont want to use the code as a button, i want it to run on its own without having the button code (i only gave the code u let people see what i was using in the first place) I need to change that code to do the same thing but without me having to interact with it

e.g. _root.gotoAndPlay("Home5");

But as i dont know much about actionscript i dont know what i need to change in order to get it to return to the root of my project without the on button part.

As far as I know, you can only move to new scenes with calls from the _root timeline. I assume all your nested movies exist within one frame on the main timeline of scene 1. Add a stop action to that frame then add a second frame with the frame action gotoAndPlay("your next scene name here"). At the end of your last nested movie say, _root.gotoAndStop(2); This will send the _root timeline to a frame action to move into the next scene. hope that helps

_b

Post the fla(s) then it would be easier to figure out the solution.

Don't worry guys

Finally sorted it myself. I just created a

_root.gotoandplay and directed it to my label on the root of the FLA

and its worked like a charm.

Thanks for giving input anyway
    Last edited by Da enforcer; 11-10-2005 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Sorted the problem