A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Creating Game.... Need Help

I'm trying to create a fighting game, street fighter type game... I'm doing it very basic
    (push "d" move right, "a" move left, "r" attack)

I just have a few questions...(I'm a newbie, got flash 5 two weeks ago)

1. How do you tell a picture to move left or right when a command is pressed? I have basic knowledge of mouse event actionscript but need help. (I need a good telltarget tutorial... if you have a link plz give it to me)

2. When a picture is against another picture and they hit the attack command, how do you make it known that the pictures are actually touching... from a programming standpoint. When Pic A touches Pic B and they hit the attack command, how do you know if it hit them or missed?

3. When a picture hits another picture and they hit the attack command, I want the player's percentage displayed. I have done one movie with text variables in them, but how do you get a mathematically solved variable into a text field? (ex. attack does 15% damage so I want to subtract the 15% from the total life)

I will have more questions when things pop out at me that I don't know how to do, so please bear with me.

Thanks for all your help here at the message board!!!

can anyone sew my main?

mmmmmmmmmmm

HAve you tried the tell target tutorial here on flashkit?

http://www.flashkit.com/cgi-bin/tuto...ump.cgi?ID=168

heres one for the collision detection

http://www.flashkit.com/cgi-bin/tuto...ump.cgi?ID=131

make sure you make it with a Fei-long character and tell me where it is LOL-I havent seen that game in years!
    [Edited by cyberskydive on 12-07-2000 at 06:32 AM]

Some very basic tips/scripts:

Turn your character into a movieclip, and put this code in it:

OnClipEvent(enterframe){
    if (Key.isDown(Key.LEFT){
    this._x = this._x - 5
    }
    if (Key.isDown(Key.RIGHT){
    this._x = this._x + 5
    }
    }

This will make your character move left or right when the appropriate arrow key is pressed.

The fighting part is a bit more difficult, let's take punching as an example:

You'll have to make another movieclip containing a fist. When a key is pressed, this fist should appear in the right place
    (you have to create several keyframes in your character's movieclip, and one of them should contain the fist) When a punch key is pressed, tell the movieclip to go to that frame. Now you can use the "hittest" function to check if the fist is overlapping the enemy.