A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Free software - designed by me woo !! ....

??

any one tried it ?

what did you think ?

This is a forum, not a chatroom. It takes a while for people to respond, be patient. At least give them some time to really try your software and see what it does.

cheers gesteves mate just over excited ... never produced my own software always had to do it for a company for work not for fun

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    The EXE has a hard dependency on MSVBVM60.DLL (the VB runtime) so this will only work if someone has the VB runtime installed. The VB runtime also carries a few other dependencies on system DLLs that limit the systems it will be able to run on without upgrading those system DLLs.

Based on the size of the EXE you haven't bundled the Flash OCX inside so the Flash OCX will also have to be installed on the end users system or the application won't work.

If your plan is to use this to launch Flash from CDs, you should know that it's not going to work everywhere.

how can i bundle the ocx with the exe please explain would love to learn more ?

have a considerable knowledge of mysql and .net and vb but app development is new to me

i know it needs the flash player to work and vbr

but atm every machine ive tested it on works

btw anyone tried it yet ?

It will probably work on newer XP systems where the VB runtime is there by default but it's pretty much a crapshoot as to whether other systems will have it or not. You can trust me on this point, I have a little experience I develop a commercial tool called SWF Studio (www.northcode.com) to do exactly what you're doing. Once your stuff gets out in the wild all bets are off. We have customers using everything from Windows 95 right up to the latest releases of XP and there is no end of problems caused by different configurations, missing DLLs, etc. Some early installations of NT4 didn't even come with Explorer preinstalled and the Flash OCX won't even work there without system updates that include wininet.dll and urlmon.dll (at minimum).

To bundle the Flash OCX and VB runtime with your application you'll need to install them BEFORE your application runs. That means wrapping your EXE in another wrapper with less dependencies (like a C/C++ or Delphi application) so you can install any required OCX and DLLs first. Then the wrapper would launch your EXE *if* the OCX and DLL got installed properly. If you developed your player in C/C++ or Delphi you wouldn't need the VB runtime which means you would only have to worry about installing the Flash player and you would not need a second layer/wrapper around your player.

I hope this doesn't discourage you, but it really is a lot of work if you want a generic solution that will work on a broad spectrum of machines. If you just want a tool for personal use, or something you can use where you know what kind of hardware and OS configurations you're going to run on then you're already there.

And yes, I did try it

Since you go fullscreen automatically you might also want to make your window topmost so it covers the task bar. Check out the Windows SetWindowPos API function and HWND_TOPMOST for details on how to do this.

nice one mate i think ill have a look at the api call i tried altering the zorder of the window but i had no effect on the windows task bar .... man i hate api calls !

... like i say this prog was the by product of a flash uni project just thought some peops might find it handy

... and as long as it works on xp im happy

many thanks for your advice tho - will post an update when i get chance

Some of those guys were just being F*** heads. Unfortunaly i have no use for it, but still free is free and most people wont complain but i think this time you just got a crapy bunch of peepz.

PS: I dont usealy post in here im a gamer :P
    92.7 Fresh FM for all your South Aussies - Doof Doof music FTW people!

safe gloo pot .... no worries man i know what mods can be like they spend far to much time on these forums and have no life outside of the internet :P or suffer one of the deadly sins ie jealousy

lol

hope its of use to a few peops n e way

You'll need the following declarations...
    Code:
    Public Const SWP_NOSIZE = &H1
    Public Const SWP_NOMOVE = &H2

Public Const HWND_TOPMOST = -1
    Public Const HWND_NOTOPMOST = -2

Public Declare Function SetWindowPos Lib "user32" (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal hWndInsertAfter As Long, ByVal x As Long, ByVal y As Long, ByVal cx As Long, ByVal cy As Long, ByVal wFlags As Long) As Long
    Then you can call SetWindowPos like this to make your Form the topmost window...

Code:
    SetWindowPos Form.hwnd, HWND_TOPMOST, 0, 0, 0, 0, SWP_NOMOVE Or SWP_NOSIZE
    And use HWND_NOTOPMOST to clear the topmost attribute so other windows can appear above your window again.