A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Embed flash in C# application on a Pocket Pc

Embed flash in C# application on a Pocket Pc

Hi,
    I've been trying asking this question at a some C# forums but with no luck, so now I try here:

Does someone know if it is possible to embed a flash file(.swf) in a C# application for Pocket Pc? I have no trouble doing this on a desktop project, but when I start project for Pocket Pc, that shockwave flash object is greyed out.

Best Regards
    Magnus

You can embed, I don't know how. Search the Macromedia Developer's Center and Flash Support pages.

Or, if you know C# you can use Neoswiff to write C# that's compiled to swf. I'm pretty sure it should help you embed swf content into other C# projects.

http://www.globfx.com/products/neoswiff/

There used to be a standalone version that didn't require Visual Studio, not sure what happened to it.

*EDIT*

Developer Center links:
    http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/fla...d%20flash%20c#

http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/fla...k_history.html
    Last edited by PAlexC; 11-16-2005 at 01:02 PM.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Gah. Just re-read your post.

PocketPC? I don't think you can, you'd need to embed a Flash Lite object, which has to be supported on that particular device. Lite is a different version of the player/plug-in for mobile devices. The current stuff is for the regular Flash Player. I couldn't find anything on embedding Flash Lite into C#.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog

To bad, but thanks! I really can't belive that it shouldn't be possible, pocket pc has a flash player 6 installed so it really feels like it should be some way to do it, it's so easy on the desktop. Maybe I have to look for ways to embed the whole webbrowser instead.

The vanilla FP6 or the "mobile" version for that device?

I assume you want to use Flash as a GUI for something. Maybe Neoswiff has something that can help, worth checking out.

As I have understod it the FP 6 for pocket pc is almost identical to the standard version for desktop computer, I will look more into Neoswiff.
    The C# shell will be used mostly to send images from the built in camera and gpsdata from a bluetooth gps to the flash file. But also to allow saving of various data from flash.

you build your own shell application to house the "free" Flash 6 active X control. This application can be C# or VB. Once you have the shell application set up, you can send data to and from flash with the xml socket and then use your custom C# code to do whatever you need to do with the OS.

Pick up a copy of "Flash the Future" from amazon.com which has a several chapters on how to do all of this.

Of course this all assumes that Macromedia will continue to make the Flash 6 active X control available for free download.

Hi hp3!

I reed the book flash for the future a while ago, but as i recall they used an object to embed the whole "Pocket Internet Exlorer" in the embedded visual basic or c++ and I don't manage to do this with a C# project for pocket pc. All those objects are greyed out, do you know how to do this in C#?

unfortunately, I do not have any experience with Pocket PC development. I was just passing along what I had read about this. You might ask for more help at the Macromedia handheld forums where there are people with experience building shell applications for the ActiveX control.

Hi HP3,
    I did so and unfortuna|y I found out that .net dosn't support active x controls at all or at least not without a third part software.

hopefully MM will address this with the next version of Flash for PPC which is currently under beta testing.

Small update - I've now installed .net 2005 and the new webbrowser object works very good. Very simple, just drag it to the stadge and set the url to the html file that holds the flash file. Only small problem is that seems to cache the flash file in some way so it makes it pretty hard to test new updates , dosn't even help to soft reset the PDA. Will look more into this tonight.

/magnus

Maybe you can answer my question in my thread titles how is this possible?
    I think this app may help you out.
    http://www.multidmedia.com/software/zinc/pocketpc/

same question

greeting there~

I belive I have the same quesiton ~
    I am using Visual studio 2003 and trying to develop an windows CE app that embed both media player and swf and some stuff that only windows ce form provides.

skatemaster had metioned that webbrowser object might be the only soution out?

I will go to try it out later with 2005 thanks~

Please suggest me, how to do it?

I am using VS.NET 2005 & facing the same problem of embeding the flash in C# for Pocket PC. suppose i use the webbrowser control to embed .html file & flash lite 2.1 .swf file embeded in it.

How can I catch the events occured in the .swf or the .html file? is it possible?can we use web browser's methods to catch these events?

any help is appreciable. thanks in advance.

I think xml is the answer...
    Just create asp.net pages wich converts your objects then you load it from flash
    i'm developing a project wich do it ! c# + sql server + flash lite for pocket pc

problem to catch events

hi alexandrem_blah
    thanks for quick reply.

i have my swf ready which takes the datat from xml, my application is not web application then how can i use asp.net pages?

now i m able to embed swf file which is embeded html in webbrowser control.
    it works fine & I am able to navigate through swf GUI by using arrow keys of emulator, but by using stylus on Pocket PC i can't able to interact with GUI. How can I do that? Also how to catch the events of index_changed & selected_index from .swf file in the C# code.

How u have catched the events from flashlite to ur C# code?

Then you have to create an web project wich will be the gateway for your objects ! i suppose that your project is a class library right ?

you can't catch those events on c#...
    You have to catch it on flash an then call a xml or web service method

on my application i'm using both...xml to read info and web service to call methods of c# objects....all from my web project wich is the gateway

as you...i'm getting problems on adobe device central to emulate the pocket pc (touch screen) the way that i found to workaround is downloading windows mobile emulator http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
    Last edited by alexandrem_blah; 09-05-2007 at 07:27 AM.

thanks a lot for ur detailed reply.
    my project is a stand alone application for Pocket PC & i want it's GUI in flashlite 2.1 & other things like data manipulation & functionalities of application in C#.
    i am having my web project, i will try by using that one as a gateway.
    It's more appreciable if u tell me briefly how u have done it in ur project.

Once again thanks a lot.

hi
    Last edited by Ulhas; 09-05-2007 at 10:39 AM.