A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Macromedia disappear soon?

Actionscript 3, postproduction georgecalgary's Avatar

Macromedia disappear soon?

Two or more blogs saying good-bye to Macromedia...

So there will be Adobe Flash.

I just hope that Adobe doesn't mess with any of the macromedia products. Changing the name is fine, just don't change anything else. I would hate for flashkit to have to change it's name to Adobekit.
    If you don't think you're going to like the answer, then don't ask the question.

Oh my God, it's true. Next Monday everything will be changed.

NEW YORK, Dec. 2 /PRNewswire/ -- Quicksilver Resources Inc. (NYSE: KWK - News) will be added to the S&P MidCap 400 after the close of trading on Monday, December 5. Quicksilver will take the place of Macromedia Inc. (Nasdaq: MACR - News), which was removed from the Index after the close of trading today, in anticipation of Macromedia's pending acquisition of S&P 500 constituent Adobe Systems Inc. (Nasdaq: ADBE - News) closing before Monday's open of trading.

No way, thats so crap.
    So what dose this mean?
    Dose adobe now own flash?
    Dose any one know of whats gona happen to flash 9?

This is kind of depressing, and i was starting to like MM
    92.7 Fresh FM for all your South Aussies - Doof Doof music FTW people!

It's a long way to the middle launchpad67's Avatar
    Yes, Adobe bought Macromedia, but I am willing to wager nothing will noticably change, at least in the near future. It's too strong a market for adobe to start changing names and such. Mabey just the trading names are changing, not the product names. When Crysler bought Lamborghini, they didn't rename the car, why would this be any different?
    For the record, I think this is the greatest merger/buyout in all of software history. Adobe has the premiere products on the market and the addition of MM to their family is just outstanding!

You need to update your "Update Macromedia Flash player" icons
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

nope.
    I am hoping that this will lead to more compatibility and an easier workflow. The Adobe creative suite does a very good job of making things easy going from one application to the next. I would like to be able to import a PSD with seperate layers.

It's a long way to the middle launchpad67's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cancerinform
    You need to update your "Update Macromedia Flash player" icons
    Who does?? What does that mean?

I think cancerinform means the get flash player icon to get Adobe player icon
    If you don't think you're going to like the answer, then don't ask the question.

my 2 cents

Personally i would not be supprised if by the next release the name macromedia and perhaps even the brading "Flash" does not disapear.

When Crysler bought Lamborghini, they didn't rename the car, why would this be any different?
    Well Lamborghini are predominatley sports cars so in essence are two seperate products aimed at differant markets where as both Adobe and Macromedia are 2 well known brand names that provide similar software aimed at the same market so i would again not be supprised to see the name macromedia dissapear

Senior Moderator
    It wouldnt make sense for Adobe to re-brand the player or the tool into something completely new, after all the word Flash Player is wideley accepted - which is why it is so popular nowadays. If they were to change the name, they would have to re-build that reputation from scratch. It is highly unlikely that they will change the name, other than from Macromedia to Adobe:

Adobe Flash Player
    Adobe Flash 9

I agree ... plus this is kind of old news. Adobe and Macromedia announced the acquisition months ago.

I'm cool with it as long as the Macromedia people are just a subdivision of Adobe and they keep developing their products. However, if it's Adobe people trying to "enhance" Macromedia products, I'd be worried.

Adobe's new structure and management after Macromedia brand retired. Their major BU(creative solutions) is on Adobe's hand.

* The Creative Solutions Business Unit
    Adobe Photoshop®, Adobe InDesign®, Macromedia Dreamweaver®, Macromedia Flash®, Adobe Premiere® Pro, and Adobe After Effects®
    * The Enterprise and Developer Solutions Business Unit
    Adobe LiveCycle™ and the Macromedia Flex™ .
    David Mendels (former MM executive VP/GM)
    * The Knowledge Worker Solutions Business Unit
    Adobe Acrobat® and Macromedia Breeze®
    Tom Hale (former MM SVP/GM)
    * The Mobile and Device Solutions Business Unit
    Macromedia Flash Lite™ and Macromedia FlashCast™.
    Al Ramadan (former MM EVP/GM of mobile and devices)
    * The Platform Business Unit
    Adobe's PDF and Flash-based technology platforms as standards to any desktop or device.
    Kevin Lynch (formerMM EVP and chief software architect)
    * The Print and Classic Publishing Solutions Business Unit
    Adobe FrameMaker®, Adobe PageMaker®, Macromedia Contribute™, and Macromedia Captivate™.
    Last edited by georgecalgary; 12-05-2005 at 01:39 PM.

Ha i dont know if this just appeared but i visited the macromedia web today http://www.macromedia.com/ and it now has the adobe logo and the words formerly macromedia this confirms to me any way that the brand name "Macromedia" will eventualy dissapear completley

I just hope adobe photoshop and flash get a lot easier to use together... Maybe even an export to flash option - with all the layers and transparencys intact.

Learning and growing
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Mabey if you purchase (a newer version) of Dreamweaver and Photoshop, there will be quicker imports of images or something to make me spend more money! I'm sure good things will come of this, but the name change, bad move. Macromedia is on the tip of my tongue! The name Macromedia says it all, not Adobe. I am not dissing Adobe products, but merely the name. Well, that was just my 2 cents!

unix110011
    i dont use many adobe products or macromedia products. just flash and photoshop. nothing else. maybe it will be good, maybe bad. lets givem a chance, then we can BOO them if it the talent doesnt show. eh. when adobe taking in the name anyway?

FK's Official Mac Hater jasonsplace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by unix110011
    i dont use many adobe products or macromedia products. just flash and photoshop. nothing else. maybe it will be good, maybe bad. lets givem a chance, then we can BOO them if it the talent doesnt show. eh. when adobe taking in the name anyway?
    Those are basically the only 2 programs that I use as well...I have a feeling that this merger is going to be bad...The Macromedia Suite 8 will reamin Macromedia but all future versions will be Adobe...also, the Flash Player and Acrobat Reader are being made into 1 plugin.
    Jason L. Wright
    I'm not that hard to imitate. Just make some random negative claim at Apple or anything else for that matter and then have nothing to back it up.

Oh lord, I hope to hell they don't try to make the Acrobat and Flash Player one plugin, I've had nothing but problems with clients trying to use and update acrobat. With all the frequent acrobat plugin updates and update nag screens it will spell doom for Flash.

You know what could be exciting, if they made a Director/After Effects crossbreed.