A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody Into SQL/PHP?

Anybody Into SQL/PHP?

Just starting to learn this stuff, from a book. Ugggg.

One thing it doesn't explain, is where does the .sql file come from in the first place? I mean, you have to create one to upload it, right?

I've seen some sql editors for sale, but will they make one from scratch? Any recommendations?

Gawd, I feel like a noob again.

I'm pretty sure Access and OpenOffice's Base will export SQL files. There's probably a few Eclipse plug-ins as well, not many that are free though.

If you're installing an application onto the server, it'll usually include the sql script you need to run to set everything up.

Otherwise, you better get friendly with the command line or notepad.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

hmmm... there isn't really a .sql file.
    It's more like a 'server' that stores and returns data...
    It will spit out a .sql file as a backup that you can feed back into it to restore data or table structures, but don't think of it as a FILE per se as you might think of using Flash to open a .FLA... it's a server... you make a SQL request of the mysql server (assuming your using mysql) and the mysql server returns a result.

imagination through stupidity
    a .sql file is basically a text file with lots and lots of SQL code used to do things like create tables, rows, etc. They are usually created when you backup a database or you can make them with a SQL database design tool
    Nothing to see here, move along.

Moved to the correct forum.

I'm not going to get into setup. The host has it all installed already and I was able to upload a .sql file to get it rolling. That file came with the CD for the book, and wasn't much trouble. But double clicking the .sql file wouldn't launch Access, or any other program I have, except Notepad.

Just wondered what I need to create the sql file to start with. Not sure Access 2000 will do it.

I was looking at this one .

imagination through stupidity
    sql files are just text, open up notepad and write your sql code, if you don't know how to write the sql code use that ide.
    Nothing to see here, move along.

Yeah, or if you're using MySQL with PHP (which would make a ton of sense) then you can just download and install phpMyAdmin and not worry about coding much more than SELECT, UPDATE, and DELETE queries.

The server has an admin on it, but it basic. Not sure I could write new tables to it from there.

One problem I have is that in Dreamweaver 8, I can log into it, but I just got this trial version of the software above, and one other way I tried, and it doesn't log in at all. Does this look like a real server address? mysqxxx.secureserver.net

that address looks fine..
    Try running this script on your server...

PHP Code:
    <?
    $db = mysql_connect("mysqxxx.secureserver.net", "username", "password")
        or die ("unable to connect to db");
    ?>
    just paste that into a file, save it as dbtest.php or something and hit it with your browser http://www.somesite.com/dbtest.php
    see if it connects...
    if nothing happens, then it connected.
    if it doesn't connect you will see the error "unable to connect to db".
    replace username and password with your actual username and password of course.
    Last edited by admedia; 12-05-2005 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ask The Geezer
    The server has an admin on it, but it basic. Not sure I could write new tables to it from there.

One problem I have is that in Dreamweaver 8, I can log into it, but I just got this trial version of the software above, and one other way I tried, and it doesn't log in at all. Does this look like a real server address? mysqxxx.secureserver.net
    what type of db are you using? if you have MSSQL you better get the SQL Server Management Studio Express (free from microsoft), or maybe access to export the tables.

Probably you're using Mysql, so go to the PHPMyadmin page and download it, unzip it, modify the config.php file to set the user password and db, and upload it to your server. Then you'll have a nice interface to create/edit/delete tables and data, and there's a SQL tab where you can either write your sql, or upload an sql file for the server to process.
    my blog: blog.innocuo
    Sponsored by your mom.

Admedia, that worked.

It didn't give an error. So now I'm wondering why this software won't connect. Keeps saying there is no such server or it can't connect. Dreamweaver uses the exact same link and PW stuff and it connected fine.

Argo, it's a unix server, and I'm not sure I can upload any app to do that, since it already has some sort of admin panel when I log into mySQL there. Maybe I'm just not getting it.

I'm muddleing along in the dark here and appreciate all the help. Been at this 4 days now. LOL

NOOB is me.

yea, it connected then...
    you should be able to do what argo said and get PHPMyadmin on there, it's pretty universal, you should be able to modify the config file with your db info and get it running.

The only other App besides PHPMyadmin and the command prompt I use with mysql is MySQL-Front, Version 2.5 in particular. That program / version was recommended to me by one of my hosting providers. It works better than about anything else I have tried.

Well, I downloaded PHPMyadmin. It means nothing to me. Bunch of geek Greek. Contained no config file at all in the zip. I don't know how anyone can use that or set it up without 4 years of college and a masters in geek.

up to my .as in code Chris_Seahorn's Avatar
    This is paid hosting? Seems odd they have no database control. CPANEL and other types normally always have something(like phpmyadmin) pre-installed to ease database control for new users, for exactly this reason. Sure it's not worded as something else not obvious? Have you contacted the host?

I use with mysql is MySQL-Front
    Just downloaded and tried it. It won't connect either.

This is paid hosting? Seems odd they have no database control
    I found the admin installed on the server, but it's so minimalist I can't use it, yet. It's a different page for every single action. I just can't get use to it. I forget where I am.

I imagine you are quite frustrated. As you are a paying customer and this thread is right now a few hours old, I would fire an email (or contact via live support if offered) to the hosting service and ask point blank.

An option that may have made you choose them (MySQL, CGI, Etc) is not much of an option if you can't configure or set it up. Worth a try and might save more time.

My frustration comes from not being able to connect to it with any of these trial programs, especially when Dreamweaver connected first time.

I suppose I could use the admin panel that comes on the host, but I'd like it a lot better if I could see everything in one window.

I think all of these guys are right, use something else than the server admin but right now you have no idea the server address or the login/pass for the database section which must not the same as your domain login/pass or some other odd reason.

If the ones you are using now were right, MySQL-Front or other 3rd party would connect no prob as you only need these values and a connection (and the database name of course).

You get into that host admin panel for the database just once and you will know:

the mysql server address
    your login/pass for DB control

These admin panels are important because they usually allow you to define the root password easily. It has to be there.

Yeah, I've got all that. Had to use it to get DW to work and to log in from the control panel. But when I try it with these programs, it comes back with an error.

Although, with the Front progam, it needs a port number, and the default is 3306. Don't know if that's right or not.