A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody Into SQL/PHP?

up to my .as in code Chris_Seahorn's Avatar
    hmmm...thats even stranger....no kidding

even phpmyadmin?...as I recall you only needed to edit the 3 or 4 entries in the config.inc for the server settings and the lines are commented where and residing in your server space the address would be "localhost" or "127.0.0.1." Then it's just a matter of having the DB name and L/P. If this is a spanking new database the login is "root" and the pass is empty "" unless you were assigned one when you purchased the hosting OR chose one with the amin panel..

no?.

I chose one when I set up mySQL on the server, and it works with DW and that php test file admedia gave me earlier, just not with any of these other programs.

Well, I won't add anymore confusion. I use MySQL Front but I roll my own pages and can use localhost. I say unzip a fresh copy of phpmyadmin...use dreamweaver to edit that config, upload the phpmyadmin directory and give her a fresh try.

Hey Geezer, I was adding flash blogs to my site today and your site was linked from one and I ended up visiting it. Odd coincidence. Love your websites man. Just awesome.

Ok...I lied...a little more confusion.
    You got that right. Looks interesting, but I have no idea what it is or where it goes. Like I said, I've been at this 4 days now.

What was my site linked from?

I'm pretty sure it was in the Flash En rotation at:

http://www.oscartrelles.com/blog/

The list rotates on refresh but 90% sure you are there.

As for the code. Now anytime you create a new page you should be able to "include" the connection file dream made (it's in it's own dir) to establish a connection allowing you to query. That example is just a start to maybe using php to create the tables as opposed to using a .sql file as a dump in MySQL Front or phpmyadmin if you can't get them running.

Still a mystery. But let me work through this book some more. In a few chapters, I'll be making some pages that connect with the db to add and edit contents.

I looked at the connection page though, and it shows all the login and connection stuff and it looks just like what I've been putting into these apps.

OK, give me a couple minutes, but 1 question first. Your opening php is only <?, not <?php. Why is that?

And it works without it?

I can smoke the table I created if you want to fire it at my server. Yeah...I use dream too. Right now if you try to hit it, it will tell you the table exists.

To me..if you are learning php for html or php websites, portals,etc...knowing recordsets and all for dream is useful. To tie it to flash....you will end up using that type of routine, never needing dreamweavers connection file and building your own backsides that send in data flash can understand. It will become second nature to you.

# Table LinkCats created successfully!
    # Example link categories created successfully!

Warning: mysql_close(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/content/T/e/n/Tension11/html/mitch/install.php on line 29

Table there?

my bad should be:

mysql_close($link); (i was copy pasting from one of my installers...see...syntax kills...lol)

Yeah, made a new recordset and it shows them.

Maybe you can figure this one out. Been stumped on this one since yesterday and nothing seems to get it working. I'm working thru the new DW book and got this far, and now I don't know what to do.

PHP Code:
    $query_rs_tourDetail "SELECT * FROM tbl_tours INNER JOIN tbl_country ON  tbl_country.countryID = tbl_tours.country WHERE tbl_country.region=".$_GET['regionID']." ORDER BY tbl_country.countryName"

Inner joins...ouch. Rarely do I need them but I'm sure E-stores and intensive dynamic flash surely does. Some pretty advanced querying there.

I don't like the "=".$_GET['regionID']." " and all in the query and think you should use a variable instead for each defined earlier in the php code using

$somevariable= $_GET["regionID"];

It's an advance sort query. "WHERE tbl_country.region" is one table, and uses the results from another table to ORDER BY. I had to bypass to the completed one and got that to work sort of, I mean it doesn't give an error, but then it doesn't sort right either. It's supposed to sort from this page, outputting only the countries for that region, but it's just listing all the regions on pages of 5 each.

Ooops, http://tensiondesign.net/mitch/tours.php

This is what I hate about books. When it don't work, you can't really go on.
    Last edited by Ask The Geezer; 12-06-2005 at 01:52 AM.

To me...it's not the query...it's the recordset paging. It's setup for 5 per yes? I just hit the site...you get the data so it's not a query issue....the query itself isn't telling it to list 5 per and it has to be recordset paging in dream or similar. One of the behaviors is setup to return 5 . Or maybe dream defaults to 5 if not told otherwise. Been a dogs age since I played with dreamweavers behaviours so feel free to fire me.

Yes, it's set for 5 per page and if it's less, the next and back nav at the bottom is supposed to go invisible, but it;s just not getting the countries by region. What you see is a bastard set up though, I used a completed page from the CD cause I never got mine to work, but I used my tours page, which sends the query. so I think what I need to do is kill those and start over and follow the book for that one again. I was getting an error for the ORDER BY line and couldn't get past it myself. But it's a dead end doing it this way.

I'll do that tomorrow and you can see the problem. Right now, I'm too loggy to think straight.

I just love this new stuff though.