A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Help with buying a digital camera.

Help with buying a digital camera.

I want to buy a new compact, pocket sized digital camera just to have on me when I'm go out for a night, to take those funny moments when my mates and I are drunk , etc...

I'd like it to have 3-4 megapixels, maybe 5 at most and SD-card compatible. However since I want it just for point and shoot, is optical zoom a necessary feature? I've had a look around and the majority that fit the criteria also include 3 x optical zoom. I'm thinking about getting the Nikon Coolpix 4600. Does anyone know of any other cameras that I should look at?

We have a Coolpix 5600 at work (guessing the one above the 4600) which isn’t bad. A bit sluggish though. The screen turns its self off after every picture which is a pain in the arse. I think it’s because it takes re-chargeables. I personally use a Coolpix 4200 (dunno if they still sell them) which I love!!! It’s pretty quick and takes a great picture.

We also have just got a Casio Exilim at work. This is pretty good. Was only about a £100 (I think) and has a kool feature called BS (best shot)- there’s a load of pre-sets like sunset, fireworks, food, back lit subject, black and white... Pretty much any situation you could think of! So if your gonna snap your dinner, just set it to the food setting and POW! It also has a few manual settings if you wanted to play with that.

i have a sony cybershot. couldn't tell you the exact model off the top of my head, as not got it here, but i LOVE it.

it's definitely pocket-sized. takes pretty good photos (it's my only camera), and has pretty good reviews online (it was on the basis of those that i chose it). i think it's about the price range you seem to be looking at too.

Thanks. I most likely will buy the Nikon Coolpix 4600. I've looked around and that's pretty much the best choice. Also I can get a free case and charger at a particular shop, all for AUD $299.95. However I also looked at cameras without optical zoom, there's not many and funnily enough, they're a bit bulkier than cameras that have optical zoom.

Even though I may buy a camera with optical zoom, I just need to know if it's important in a point and shoot camera. I've already got a Canon PowerShot S2 IS, great features and 12x optical zoom so I don't really want anymore in a point and shoot camera, however it ain't pocket size unfortunately.

I have the 5600 and my brother has the 4600. Both are fabulous cameras, if you need just point and shoot go with 4600 for the price difference. 5600 only offers a higher resolution and a microphone for the video feature. If you're having trouble with it reloading after each picture, turn off the flash
    When it comes to believing in god, I relaly tried
    -George Carlin
    I guess heartbreak's a fire, and I got burned
    -Home Grown