A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mods.

Sort of, though those specific examples are more along the lines of simply being an 'enforcer'. In following this path it is important not to become one who is always looking for those who aren't following the rules and are quick to point this out. This is an excellent way to get a lot of people pissed off at you for being a 'rule nazi'. It is important to note that I am not accusing you of being such a person, only warning against the possibility of becoming one.

And I only say this because out of the examples you gave, this was the only type of feedback in evidence. There was absolutely nothing wrong with what you did or how you did it, only an absence of examples of you helping out in a way that doesn't involve enforcing the rules. Anyone can do that, the exceptions to the rule are those who don't get off on the power trip of being a mod and see/use it as an opportunity to better serve the community.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

FK's official coffee addict gasbag15's Avatar
    Well imo if someone doesn't read the rules before posting as they should have, that person should get treated with a certain degree of harshness, this especially goes for people posting spam.
    It would just be nice to have someone around the cool sites forums to deal with these ppl instead of allowing their posts to thrive through flaming.

I agree that there are certain issues that need to be dealt with on a regular basis, but it is also simply human nature not to read all the fine print. It is the understanding of when to be harsh and when to just hand out a good-natured reminder that often is the difference between a good and bad mod.

This speaks to the issue of those who are only interested in the power that being a mod gives them. Many new mods (even the level-headed ones) are often overly harsh when they start out. Why? Simply because they can. Again, it is human nature to test limits and newly acquired tools. They now have the power to back up threats, a say in who gets banned, the ability to completely shut down a thread by closing it, or one of the big ones that is the favorite of many...the ability to edit other people's posts.

Uncle Ben said it best..."With great power comes great responsibility." Once people flex their new muscles a little bit they usually calm down and become more comfortable with their position. There are some however, that take these new toys and just never stop running with them. And the next thing the know, poor little Billy loses and eye and the fun train comes to an abrupt stop.

And that's the moral of our little story...don't give sharp toys to irresponsible people. We have to think of the kids, after all.
    mrush

FK's official coffee addict gasbag15's Avatar
    Well I think anyone that is considering applying for the position has probably grown up under Aversion's wing so most would understand what it takes and how properly to deal with people in each situation in order to become a good moderator.

I dont look out for those things in myself...all I care is that the Cool Sites forum needs bringing back from the dead, so to speak, which is why half the new posts there are from me!

The quality's dropped, doesnt matter who brings it back up, as long as someone does.

1.) check
    2.) check
    &
    3.) check..

I think the only reason we said something was because planet mentioned needed one. Ive been here almost 5 years and have never asked.

The matter is currently being considered. All will be resolved soon.
    mrush

Yay! About time

I hope im still a "contestant" for this little "election"...

Personally, it doesnt bother me who's made a moderator there, as long as the person's actually active (and posts new cool sites there himself/herself). Ha, maybe I just want a carbon copy of Aversion back

Oh and, whoever's the new mod should be ready to accept PM's every other day from me for the FK SOTD submissions

We’ll have a decision on this shortly. The discussions on this topic is pretty intense right now in the team room since we all share your desire to have the reviews section properly moderated and kept up to date and active. It’s a pretty big job and I would like to thank everyone involved for raising the issue and stepping up to take on the challenge. You guys are the best, Thank you!