A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Embedding sound files

Quote Originally Posted by tmoore935
    If the mp3 files are mega size then stream, If the are say 20kb, I say embed. This is only my opinion here.
    And rightly so Tim. A nice tidy site that takes ten minutes to open or an untidy one that opens instantly. Mind you, there are very few hosting sites that refuse mp3 these days, especially if you prove copywrite or permission of usage.
    humanus somes est divinitus in ipsum
    Wiliiam Wallace

I don't know exactly what is wanted but he could always use the flv technique
    http://www.diversioncentral.com/flv/flvmp3b.html
    Any programming language is at its best before it is implemented and used.

Well its for our original music so copyright is no problem...just we need to move sites soon and quite a lot say no mp3's (and zips etc....think they want to avoid remote linking)plus I need php/sql and freehosting just to be awkward with minimal ads so finding that combination is a bit trickier.Perhaps if I ask nicely.......
    Looking at koolmoves the stream option does as you say and is basically doing the same as the action script I posted earlier so no gain there.And load movie looks like it loads the whole movie and then plays so no go.....we have fast opening pages with reasonable quality music playing plus realish time music samples which works well even on dial up
    I'll have a look at the flv technique as you suggest.
    I could host the mp3's on a separate site which allow it but that really is getting messy.

Thanks for the info..I just wondered if there was a way I had missed.......

merry christmas

mike

up to my .as in code Chris_Seahorn's Avatar
    Maybe another way to not have an mp3 sitting on the server if they are disallowed...

http://www.swift-tools.net/index.html?mp3

There are also others that convert.

Quote Originally Posted by indogo
    Well its for our original music so copyright is no problem...just we need to move sites soon and quite a lot say no mp3's (and zips etc....think they want to avoid remote linking)plus I need php/sql and freehosting just to be awkward with minimal ads so finding that combination is a bit trickier.Perhaps if I ask nicely.......
    First, if you want to run a site like that, you need to forget about free webhosting. Hosting services are pretty cheap so if you're running a site for any other reason then simply having one, get a hosting company. I've been with the same company since 98 and I'd highly recommend them. http://www.sitelutions.com I also would recommend www.ipowerweb.com

That will solve all of your file problems.
    My Sites: Gaming Site Nightshade Studios MyKM Tutorials

--------------------------------------------------
    What I'm using: Gimp, Koolmoves, Sepy, HTML-Kit, Inkscape

Well I'd love to forget about freehosting but I have to remember I have no credit card and not likely too in the forseeable future.......so resourcefulness is the other option

Chris that solution looks good. The flv route.........well it looks very inticing for future video ideas. I can see a new year learning curve approaching.

Regards to all for joining the 'lets make this thread a long one campaign' ,your help is appreciated,
    mike

Chris that solution looks good. The flv route.........well it looks very inticing for future video ideas. I can see a new year learning curve approaching.
    Using swift-tools will put the mp3 inside of the swf still, so it is no different than letting koolmoves doing it. (Mabye chris has something up his shirt sleave). The graphic equalizer does work with koolmoves as I have used it. You could try changing the mp3 extension to mpx as this method works with koolmoves also.

I think the "flv" would be the way to go. As far as I know, nobody is refusing FLV files on their servers. Just convert your mp3 to flv (flash video,,but with no video,,soundtrack only,, and call it up in the same way as an mp3 to your swf presentation.
    Wiliiam Wallace

(Mabye chris has something up his shirt sleave).
    No such luck. I think you're way of embedding is probobly the best since his host disallows mp3 uploads. My reply was only a second possible solution if it has to be a sound file pulled in externally....at least that way he could curcumvent the mp3 ban by uploading swf conversions or like Gusmus says by pulling them in as FLV.

Actually you hit it on the head Chris. Make an empty swf with the mp3 embedded and simply call that.. no conversions, no nothing. Dead simple as well. May be a pain to strean though. I have a program somewhere that will record flv sountrack only. I'll search for it and post later.

Try this http://www.rivavx.de/ it's a30 day trial but it works ok.
    Last edited by gusmus; 12-23-2005 at 06:36 PM.
    Wiliiam Wallace

Been so long since I used a production host I was surprised to hear some are disallowing these. Is this common now? Or just with the lowball freebie hosts?

I have a standing contract with my host to cover me for mp3 usage as a business but with a standard public account they are starting to block even midi files... it's all the crap falling from the anti piracy industry and it's affecting everyone. I'm on the point of dumping the hosting contract and just using my own servers but I have a big wifi net set up here and I'm a bit worried about saturation. Could always go bankrupt and hire another T1 I suppose.
    Wiliiam Wallace

I like your FLV solution just because Tim already has the controller setup and as Koolmoves to boot. Even if you chose swf you would have the extra coding of manipulating it and I think in that context his FLV controller is far superior. Coupled with that link Gusmus posted for Riva...it's a no cost end run around their host bans.

MP3s

If I'm not mistaken, it is the "Anti-Piracy" movement that is driving this. The Recording Industry has been suing the Hosts since they could not legally go after the end users or "force" the Host to tell them who was "pirating" . The recording Industry then turned and said that it was the Hosting Sites that were "encouraging" copy right enfringment and there you have it. Keep legitamate small enders from creating! Enough of the soap box. Sorry.
    MoonRise

Ok I'm overwhelmed.cheers guys......if this was a poll I'd say flv wins......I'm curious about the mpx idea....so simple it might just work....
    Well I'll have to go and do some site stuff so I'll post on anything I find out when I do.
    I was surprised at the mp3 thing at first, and the other thing is very few offer mail functions due to spamming abuse which makes hosting a forum etc a bit tricky.Even sql abuses......

ok
    nearly merry christmas all

mike

We make and sell/promote our cd's ourselves..you can understand why......perhaps if they dropped the price a bit for something that newspapers here give for free then the pirates would have less of an impact......Yes we are definately going off topic so I will stop there......

cheers again

mike

Indogo. If you really want to get around your hosting company (assuming that they are php and mysql enabled) you my be worth trying "PHP-Nuke". If you load it into your hosting package then it basically works like a server within a server, if you get my meaning. Your host will pick up on your management and public access files but won't have access to the content. It's a bit of work to set up but it is an option worth considering.
    Wiliiam Wallace

.....I'm curious about the mpx idea....so simple it might just work....
    Well I'll have to go and do some site stuff so I'll post on anything I find out when I do.
    mike
    try the mpx and make sure you change both the koolmoves actions and rename the mp3 file to 1.mpx....I don't see how to use the koolmoves "start sound to get a mpx". Only wav and mp3. So try:

Sound = new Sound();
    Sound.LoadSound("1.mpx", true);
    Sound.start();

Also if you can sneak an mpx to your free server with ftp, then it should work. I have many mp3 player (except xml) so I can send an example if you want or you may want to do it yourself. And if you can educate yourself to effectively use the free websites, when it comes time to rent a server with your own domain, it will be a breeze with a lot of new benifits and unlimited options.

First, let me apologize for wrongs of the past. Gusmus...I'm sorry for the things I've said in the past and hope you see this post as what it is. Docree was treated no better by me as well. I was wrong and hope you guys rate me on future posts and not past ones.

I think your idea is great. I think another portal...any other...would be a better choice. A ton of hosting companies have a global ban against PHP-Nuke servers because of all the sql injections. My UpstateTemplates.com was halted after serving 1.5 years with it due to my server (Hostnuke if you can believe it) instituting that policy as well. I had no legal recourse. It's why I began serving my own site so it could never happen to me again.

Opensourcecms.com has tons of free portals that would do exactly what Gusmus suggests Indogo and ALL of them are a breeze to setup.

Merry Christmas!

Gusmus...I'm sorry for the things I've said in the past and hope you see this post as what it is.
    Don't sweat over it Chris, I'm sorry for the stupidity on my part as well. I'm a hot headed idiot when get aroused (must be that Scottish / Italian blood lol).
    Best we try to work together and help, not hinder each other or other users (especially new ones), they are the important ones. Have a happy foodfest, Santa is getting impatient for a reindeer steak.
    Wiliiam Wallace