A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Array problem (easy for experts)

Array problem (easy for experts)

I have created a huge array called 'colors' which contains a long list of hex colors, such as "0x0066FF","0xFFCC00" with a total of 2296 entries.

I would like to create a script which will automatically draw 2296 tiny 5 by 5 squares, each colored with the corresponding colors in the array.

That's pretty much it, I just need to end up with a long line of tiny colored squares.

-------

Here's my array, shortened to save space.

colors = new Array ("0x555273","0xE0644F","0x942B25","0xA7421C","0x62 2BCD","0xB863AF","0x536A92","0x587D5C","0x206ECC", "0xFF2B3A","0x006454","0xA66DE1","0xAC7F81","0xC46 E6A","0x5B652C");
    trace (colors);

Thanks

Shouldnt be easier to loop and just randomize the colours instead to use an array?

Bearded (M|G)od MyFriendIsATaco's Avatar
    first off, your array isnt goign to work like that...you are making the colors literal strings... they are hexidecimal numbers, so no quotes:

var colors=[0xFFFFFF,0x372819,0x000000];

now for making the 5x5 squares... im not a big fan for drawing everything dynamically like some people here are, i just htink its easier to create a template 5x5 square and put it off the stage somewhere. so do that and name the square movieclip square_template. now check out this code:
    Code:
    var colors = [0xFF0000, 0xFFFFFF, 0x0000FF, 0xFF0000, 0xFFFFFF, 0x0000FF];
    var howmany = colors.length;
    var startx = 0;
    var starty = 0;
    var spacing = 0;
    for (var i = 0; i<howmany; i++) {
    	var newname = "box"+i;
    	var extras = {_x:(5*i)+startx+(spacing*i), _y:starty};
    	var depth = _root.getNextHighestDepth()+1;
    	var m = _root.square_template.duplicateMovieClip(newname, depth, extras);
    	var setColor = new Color(m);
    	setColor.setRGB(colors[i]);
    }
    my code creates 6 boxes in a row starting at 0,0 alternating between red, white, and blue...just swap my array with your array, and itll make the 2000 some boxes you wanted

Thanks

That was a big help, it works perfectly!

Of course, I made an obvious mistake. The line is now too big to fit on the screen, which defeats the purpose of what I'm trying to do.

Is there a way to make it wrap around to the line below it after, say, 28 squares?

Registered Deviant
    Delete the line that says
    Code:
    var extras = {_x:(5*i)+startx+(spacing*i), _y:starty};
    and replace it with
    Code:
    	var xmul:Number = i % 28;
    	var ymul:Number = Math.floor( i / 28 );
    	var x:Number = ( ( 5 + spacing ) * xmul ) + startx;
    	var y:Number = ( ( 5 + spacing ) * ymul ) + starty;
    	var extras:Object = { _x:x,_y:y };
    I broke out the math a little to show you what's going on; of course, you can consolidate it all back on to one line again if you want.

xmul takes the modulus (or remainder) of i / 28... so you will always get a number between 0 and 27.
    ymul takes the division of i / 28 and rounds it down, so you get a number between 0 and 71 which increments every 28 times through the loop.

If you want it to stretch out to the end of the last row, increase your loop to 2015.

[EDIT]Oh, and remove the strict typing if you want to match the rest of the code... force of habit for me[/EDIT]
    Last edited by wombatLove; 12-08-2005 at 06:13 AM. Reason: hehe
    If you can read this, you're in the right place.