A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [New Game Release] Looking for feedback

[New Game Release] Looking for feedback

My company puts out a promotional piece every year, and this year we went for a quick arcade style game where you control a flying squirrel on his quest to grab acorns (and stars, if you can) and to see just how far you can fly. It’s fun, it’s addictive, and we've named it “Swoop To Nuts”. Odds are you’ve never played a game involving a flying squirrel, but what do I know. Go check it out. Have fun.

The name of the game is obviously (at least, I thought so…) a play on the phrase “soup to nuts“. What I was surprised by is that so many people had never heard this phrase before. I think the name of the game stands on its own pretty well, but has that extra “tongue-in-cheek wink-wink ha-ha that’s clever” quality if you’ve heard the phrase before.

Note to the “gamers”: We have tested this game extensively, and it is possible to get a six-figure score. Put World of Warcraft aside for a bit and have some arcade-like fun.

Give it a whirl and let me know what you think. We're still wanting to improve it, so your feedback is welcome.

Thanks!

again, the URl is http://www.swoop-to-nuts.com

Very nice. The game is very well pollished and one of the few web games I've found myself trying to keep getting a better score.

Everything looks very professional, but I guess that's because it is

PS Nice to see another Michigander (Muskegon here)

Nice idea.. it took me quite a while to get used to the "feeling" of it... but then it was fun...

Just one suggestion: Save the Nick so you don't have to input it all the time again
    Probably even as a SharedObject for those who come Back
    My letters on the F1 key have faded, how are yours today?

That was really good - smooth, addictive and nice graphics.

It took me a while to get used to the controls, but when I did, it was really fun.

Good job
    "wen i found my gerbil dead my other gerbil was eating it i just cried and screamed"
    http://www.livescripts.net

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by some moderator : Today at 9:01 PM.

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

One of the things we're finding consistent is that users tend to have a hard time getting the feel of the controls right away. But when they do, they really get the hang of it.

I'm not sure what could be done differently with it, though, since the game is based on real physics that take into consideration velocity, angle, weight, air density and other things.

We thought about making the controls more "soft" in the early stage of the game, and getting progressively harder, but two factors caused us to decide against it...

1. the game really doesn't last long enough to warrant it, and
    2. we didn't want to confuse the player by changing the way the controls work progressively through the game.

Maybe it really isn't a big enough concern to warrant changing anyway?

Any comments on the background audio track and sound effects?

oh, and don't forget to go up high into the clouds for 2,000 and 5,000 point stars! Increases the score BIG time.

On our internal beta, I've scored well over 100,000!

Quote Originally Posted by McUsher
    Just one suggestion: Save the Nick so you don't have to input it all the time again
    Good suggestion! I think we're going to put that in right away.

Quote Originally Posted by xMCNUGGETx
    PS Nice to see another Michigander (Muskegon here)
    Cheers! Was just in Muskegon last week... I have several friends who live there.

According to the sound: My wife was shouting outta the living room:
    "Turn the volume down"

I think that game supporting Music/Sound should be quite soft by default.. But maybe that is just me
    A very short "game-start" animation would be nice too, as you directly pop into the scene..
    My letters on the F1 key have faded, how are yours today?

Cool

That's a fantastic game on so many levels.
    The graphics and sound are really polished, and I especailly like the backgrounds, but what I like the most is the gameplay. The controls answer ther holy grail of being easy to learn and difficult to master and the scoring system is great as well. The way that you can multiply your score means you always feel like you can do better and if you're really good you can rack up some huge scores (my best was about 15000).

Bravo. One of my favourite games of the year!

Totally cute game , I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by JabezStone
    Odds are you’ve never played a game involving a flying squirrel, but what do I know.
    Not in Flash but on the Almighty and powerful AMIGA.

Mr Nutz
    http://hol.abime.net/2527/screenshot

ok ok ok.. I know, no one cares :P.....
    Last edited by Ironclaw; 12-20-2005 at 08:09 AM.

quality game, I enjoyed it

I have found a little bug I think,
    when submitting a score: after pressing the send button more than once, the score will be added multiples times in the table as well.
    (this is an unfair advantage for 'double click people', I feel)

very nice
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

Quote Originally Posted by Estartic
    quality game, I enjoyed it

I have found a little bug I think,
    when submitting a score: after pressing the send button more than once, the score will be added multiples times in the table as well.
    (this is an unfair advantage for 'double click people', I feel)
    Ooohh... nice catch, Estartic! I'll get that taken care of quick. thanks!

Thanks everyone for your feedback.... we're really glad you enjoy it, and for the quality feedback. I knew I could count on the Flashkit crew for honest, constructive thoughts.

Here's a tip for a good score... swoop to the right, and then quickly pull back up, launching up above the trees into the clouds for some high-point scores... stay up there catching stars until your power is nearly out, then come back down for more nuts/energy! If you're good, you can get about 44000 up there alone!

Just wanted to post here, as it might be of interest to some on Flashkit...

We received the honor of being reviewed on Jay Bibby's Flash Game Review site, "Jay is Games" today.

The review is nice and very fair, and does a great job explaining the game-play for Swoop-to-Nuts.

Being reviewed by Jay will most likely mean more traffic to the game site, so we're interested to see what kind of impact it will have on the game's stats. I'll report here when I find out, as I think it's worthy info for game developers.

Also, we're using Mochibot to track where the game shows up. We've used it in other of our games with great success. Has anyone else used this?

yeah,we use Mochibot,too
    (they were even so nice to place a blog entry about one of our games here: http://www.mochibot.com/blog/archives/36 )
    and i do my best to pimp it here every now and then so more developers use it,its really an awesome widget
    On a sidenote i gave your game a try and enjoyed it Sadly i can´t do a long review as Jay but i agree with most of his points
    cheers,
    tom

Yeah, I have tried it. It's awesome.. hope it will be free forever.

Fantastic game, I liked the graphics and sounds a lot.
    IMO, it would more fun if the squirell could make a little happy sound when he gets a star; people would like him much more

I read about the game on Jay's site and l really love what you guys have done. The graphics and sounds are great, but what I like most is the simplicity and addictiveness of the game. I want to see what all four seasons look like, but I can't get through winter. :P

Great job on the game! We'll have to throw a plug on our site for you.
    Jameson
    Mochi Media

MochiAds : The Ad Network for Flash Games
    MochiBot : Flash Tracking & Analytics
    MochiKit : Making JavaScript Suck Less

Very nice gameplay!
    I think it was pretty hard to control the the squirrel at first but it got easier with a little practice. Maybe it would be easier to learn to control him if the speed of the squirrel where shown?
    Nice sound effects! It would be nice with a volume up/down button. Perhaps one for the background music and one for the effects. That way you can listen to your own music but still get the nice sound effects.

Very addictive game - I'll play again later!

Cheers
    Rolf Lidén

http://e-cube.dk

Yeah awesome graphics and smooth and addictive gameplay. Great job¨!
    I do stuff that does stuff...

J-Force