A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jumping!

Jumping!

I have looked all over... but I cant find anthing that works, my problem is not landing its stoping. Once my object begins to move up how do I stop him when he reaches a certian point and make him fall?

-Thanks

I assume you use 3dfa first of all, and mabey be more detailed when asking your question, if I didnt notice the title I wouldnt know what you were talking about lol. Anyway I would say make a "keyboard" element, inside the keyboard element make a button, make the button uhhh the space bar or watever. Say "set property" under the spacebar button, select you element in the first box, in the second box select "Y velocity" if thats not there make sure your element has velocity and acceleration enabled. Anyway, in the third box type -100 or watever, just make sure its negative. Copy the "set property" you just made and paste it under the spacebar again. Change the y velocity to y acceleration and change the -100 to like positive 50 or watever. Then Make a bar at the bottom of the screen and call it "ground" then make a collision script saying if your dude collides with ground then Y velocity=0 (which you can see an exaple of in brets tutorial thread in the main forum). or you wanted another way you could get rid of the acceleration part and make a script saying
    If (yourguy.y<0){
    yourguy.velocity.y=100
    }

that makes your dude start going down as soon as he hits the ceiling, I hope this helps.
    BC

sweet, I never knew how to do this, maybe one day when I get some time I could actually put a platformer game in the works!

Azerith
    Yeah, I might use this info if I try to make a game with 3DFA.

Thats what I wanted to know, Thank you so much.
    Aslo where us "brets tutorial"

Thanks again

Look Up.

Look at the top of this forum at the "Stickys":

"Sticky: Online Tutorials"
    LINK
    Last edited by MoonRise; 12-21-2005 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Add URL
    MoonRise

Sorry, I didnt know bret was blanius

Azerith
    Brets Tutorials helped me alot

Example of jumping/moving

I've attached an example for you to study. Play with the values For Velocity and Relative acceration. You could but them in some if statements so that for example if on a certain block he'd jump higher or something.

Also if you go to make a platform game I suggest you put all your collidable objects into an Array of elements that way you can loop through them in script rather than having to check each one in seperate bit of code.

In start script make empty array

myObjects=new Array()

then put the elements in this array.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by blanius; 12-22-2005 at 09:23 AM.

...blanius you are amazing, thank you so much!!

One problem, when i put the fps to 20 the jump work correctly is there any way to fix that?

here is my file

Also when i export it as .swf it wont jump...
    Last edited by Unlimited; 12-22-2005 at 09:31 PM.

you said to look carefully at the properties of the skull and bones ( changed the file location to my mario pic) but how do I view the properties of the skull and bones? You mentioned relative acceleration in its properties but I cant find it.

Sorry, but I have never worked with importing files, I usually just draw mine in my game while I'm working on it, so I dont know how to view the properties.

So what do I click on to view the properties of the SKull and Bones?

thanks

hmm well it was a very nice flash blanius although I think there was a lot more stuff in it then needed. Here check out my version, I just took bret's and made a few changes. Also the reason it wasnt wokring on export was because it says that velocity=0 when on floor so it cant jump while its on the floor, I made a complicated change to fix this although I think there would probaly be an easier way to do it. I am personally not happy with this movie, it seems too...meh. Mabey you can mess around with it and find a better way, this one works in exports I checked btw.
    BC

ARgggg!

Dang it 3dfa bugs strick again. Sorry guys it's this kind of export bugs that led me to move to Koolmoves for most of my work.

You could code this by hand but it's complicated and frankly I don't have the time or interest to spend on it.

open skull and cross bones imgae, scroll down to the check boxes with "element has properties", below that is a thing that says "position and velocity" click the box that looks like an x thats next to it.
    BC

ok, thanks

I could do a whole lot of experimenting with a platformer...... So many ideas!

But I just have to finish the game Im working on right now, I'm about 60% done ( its a ship game)

yes this bug is very annoying, however i think my way works pretty good, good thing i dont make these kind of games . Oh and i emailed kusco and he said he talked to rob and the new version is still being worked on so thats good to hear I guess.
    BC

A Senior Newbie - How Odd ForumNewbie's Avatar
    Well, I guess that means the new version's going to be fantastic, after over a year of development

Nice to hear something positive, even if I'll take it with a pinch of salt at the moment!
    Please note that my domain has changed to http://www.morganmultinational.com

Too Little Too Late?, maybe....

I'm glad to hear that Rob is still working on it. It will be nice to have that, but I will be honest, I'm looking over KoolMoves now. BLanius is in that Forum as well and can help switch since he use to be a 3DFAer him self.
    MoonRise

meh, I was looking over koolmoves and it doesnt seem very game friendly. It is more up to date though. Looks very nice for websites and text effects too. I think Im too stubborn to switch anyway . I'll probaly be using this version to make games forever lol.
    BC

I agree

Trust me. I don't really want to, but most of what I do is website stuff. No, as far as games, it would be quite involved. I really do still like 3DFA's concept of elements that are called upon when needed not "timelined". 3DFA is programming that I really understand, but I am willing to learn new concepts so I'm trying.
    MoonRise