A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's put Recruiters OUT OF BUSINESS!

Hybrid View

Let's put Recruiters OUT OF BUSINESS!

I get such satisfaction telling recruiters I work independantly of them. After all, why the hell should I give a slimey recruiter part of my pay? In my mind, recruiters are worse than used car salesman. If all us designers just started finding our own work, we would put these dirty pests out of business! I think I found my calling!

imagination through stupidity
    don't you mean sales people? recruiters find you position jobs, not on a per project basis. (not usually) unless its a 6-month job.
    Nothing to see here, move along.

Naw, I think he means recruiters... head hunters. In some instances, they get a placement fee for finding you and placing you in a job that needs to be filled.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick
    Naw, I think he means recruiters... head hunters. In some instances, they get a placement fee for finding you and placing you in a job that needs to be filled.
    whats wrong with that? your not paying them per hour to find you a job so they have to be paid somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Sybersnake
    whats wrong with that? your not paying them per hour to find you a job so they have to be paid somehow.
    I was clarifying. Never said anything was wrong with anything.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Um, recruiters get their fee from the person posting the job. What's so bad about them? My current job I have because of one, I've had a ton of interviews because of others. I know someone that makes a good living as one for a major news organization, that's how the company gets their talent.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

I have no problems with them. It can save alot of trouble. Head hunters are great because you don't draw attention to yourself while searching for a job. Recruiters are great usually because they open you up to more jobs. Alot of companies won't post thier jobs to the gen public until first going to a temp agency. That gives someone working with a recruiter first pick. Also it is better for the company because they get to feel you out. If they don't like you they discontinue the contract, if they do like you they bring you on fulltime. One way your hired the other way your not technically fired (therefore saving you reputation). All and all good partnership.

The only problem I have with it is the fact that when you do get hired on, the company usually wants to keep you at the same rate you were being paid whilst working for the temp agency/recruiter. This idea iritates the crap out of me. They obviously had the money to sell out for your serves before why not give that all to you. But they do have to start pay for benifits and what not so its give and take.

Anyway thats my confusing 2c
    ------------------

Sometimes we are the windshield. . . But, most of the time, we are just the bug. (c;
    My cycling themed designs Pats Design Portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by pea3698
    The only problem I have with it is the fact that when you do get hired on, the company usually wants to keep you at the same rate you were being paid whilst working for the temp agency/recruiter.
    Only temp agencies work that way. Recruiters, or at least good ones, know what kind of salary you're looking for and help the negotiation process with the potential employer.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog

recruiters are good (its one of the only ways into the games industry), temp agencies can die...

I think they have the potential to do good...and find you a job..IF they place you. However....more often than NOT..they are just bugging you and BS'ingyou just to get you down there..take some tests..and put you on file. Pisses me off to NO END!! Why should I take my time off from work.....just to fill up you database of workers?? I sent you my resume..if you have a fit..call me.. dont waste my time. you see my skills, you see my background.. do your background check before you call me too. ONLY call me if you think you want me for the job..and a REAL interview...or you wan to see work from my portfolio.

Man, sounds like you guys have run into some crappy recruiters.

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PAlexC
    Man, sounds like you guys have run into some crappy recruiters.
    the ones I have worked with are sucktacular.. but maybe I don't have talent or portfolio to get the good ones.

// edit 1 was actually pretty good, so that is 20% good, 80% crap.. which is what most of the job market has anyway.
    ONLY RON PAUL AND ALUMINUM FOIL CAN SAVE YOU NOW!
    annoy your politician fairtax.org, a political forum

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyLittleCar
    the ones I have worked with are sucktacular.. but maybe I don't have talent or portfolio to get the good ones.
    so then why are they contacting you? you know what I mean? ONLY contact me if you are interested.

I know "I" have... in my area.. Im sure they get a cut..and more if he client buys you out. But they do NOT do ther jobs effectively.. even the "tech" recruiters hardly know what they are looking for. (and read requireents off the paper without fully understandng them) I would think to be taken seriously, you would have your ducks in a row.

They are a necessary evil for freelancers. I don't like how much they can overcharge for my services (sometimes they charge an extortionate 50% on top of my rates) but over the years I have some good relationships with a couple of recruitment agencies and as I know them and know how they work, i can haggle a bit with them and get told about the best jobs around. Play the system and they can work out very useful, finding work and sorting out contracts and other boring stuff I'm not really interested in. The best thing about such agencies is that they often have contracts where they will pay you (and on time) even if the client doesn't pay them. I've met some fly-by-night a$$holes in this business so that kind of protection is pretty damn good.
    My biggest beef with these agencies is the vast amount of emails and phonecalls I get from random agencies wanting me to start tomorrow for peanuts. I laugh at them and tell them to p*ss off politely.
    www.lexicon-design.co.uk
    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made of meat?
    If Vegetarians like animals so much, why do they eat all their food?

Last time i used one, it was for a huge flash project for Sears. I made decent money, but i later found out that the recruiters who placed me, were getting over $10 an hour for every hour i worked.

Its the give and take, you should know that going in. They get their money somehow, if you're desperate for a job, its well worth it to sign up with a recruiting agency.

Quote Originally Posted by creativeinsomnia
    Last time i used one, it was for a huge flash project for Sears. I made decent money, but i later found out that the recruiters who placed me, were getting over $10 an hour for every hour i worked.

Its the give and take, you should know that going in. They get their money somehow, if you're desperate for a job, its well worth it to sign up with a recruiting agency.

if i hired you as a freelancer i'd do my damndest to make sure i was making more than ten bucks an hour to go through the trouble of paying you, insuring you, giving you holidays, sick time, and going to bat for you if the contract begins to go south. there's more to it than simply connecting job-seekers to job-providers. (creative, the last statement is more to Artist than you, but the idea is there...)

Quote Originally Posted by erova
    if i hired you as a freelancer i'd do my damndest to make sure i was making more than ten bucks an hour to go through the trouble of paying you, insuring you, giving you holidays, sick time, and going to bat for you if the contract begins to go south. there's more to it than simply connecting job-seekers to job-providers. (creative, the last statement is more to Artist than you, but the idea is there...)
    No, recruiters/headhunters dont deal with the holidays/sick time or insurance. Usually going through a recruiter means you're given a "temp" job, or project based. More like a contractor, we hire a lot of contractors, they get no insurance, no holiday pay, nor do they get sick time. They are paid hourly, thats it.

Granted, that temp job can grow into an permanent position, then it falls into the hands of the employer, and they cut off the relationship with the recruiter, usually paying them a larger fee for finding them a permanent employee.

If you know of a recruiter that supplies insurance/holiday pay, and sick time, sign me up.

really? here in DC the invoicing, sick time, vacation, etc. is handled in most cases by the recruiting agency. there's a lot more money to be made in covering those costs. but i'd still make at least $15 to $25 a head even if I wasn't providing benefits. there's no real value in me making 30 an hour if i have to pay you 25 an hour while managing the client and you. that margin's just way too thin.

atleats the 10$ isn't coming out of your budget. thing is your making what you wanted to make and they're getting 10$ ontop of that from the client. if it works.