A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Stand Alone Photo Placement Question

Stand Alone Photo Placement Question

Season's Greetings All! I have a problem I could use a hand with. I am using MX 2004 PRO and developing an app for CD-ROM distribution. I have the need to include several hundred photos in the app, approx. 8 per printed page. I have imported all the photos into the library since you cannot dynamically load and print them off CD.

I need the script to insert a photo instance from the library into the "holder" mc's I have created. The code below works great and loads the photos from outside Flash in, but I need to use the library instance instead for printing purposes. This is probably very easy, but I am a sales manager, not a Flash script guru! So...basically what do I use to replace LoadMovie to get the same result from a library instance of the photo?

I load 2 variables into _root: phStart(x) and phEnd(x) to tell app which photos to begin and end with.

n=1;
    photo = phstartB;
    while (photo <= phendB) {
    LoadMovie("pic" + photo + ".jpg","holder" + n);
    photo++;
    n++;
    }

Thanks much for any help you can give me!

Jason

have you tried attachMovie()?

I think maybe you can give the image in the libraray an Identifier under the "Linkage" options for the library item. You can name it using your variable structure as you have for the images themselves.

Then use movieclip.attachMovie() instead of loadMovie like:

this["holder" + n].attachMovie("pic" + photo,"attachedPic"+photo, someDepth);

I'm pretty sure this would work for you.

What's the problem with loading images using loadMovie() on CD? Can't you just use relative filepath to the images on the disc? Also, if that's your exact ActionScript there, I'm not sure if loadMovie() will run if you've written it case insensitive as LoadMovie()...
    :: scott ::

Scott,

I thought of that too, but to add an linkage identifier, you must add a URL for a picture. I am not using an URL but on disc. Is there a way to fool it into putting the file path in place of the URL?

The problem with the loadMovie (my typo) command is that why it works fine in loading the images, once you hit the "Print" button, all the pages print without the loaded content. About a year ago I tried to solve this problem and was basically told it was impossible to print MULTIPLE dynamically loaded pages because the content won't stay loaded and only the frame in focus would print with content. This seems odd because the text based variables remain on each page (loaded from external .txt files) but the pictures disappear.

I did try an experiment putting photo1 in a MC and attachMovie that clip, which worked, but once again when printed, the MC was gone. Any other ideas?

Oh, OK I see your problem. I don't have any experience printing from a Flash app. Maybe you could have the app open Reader and PDF versions of the pages for printing?
    :: scott ::