A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash Player for Palm OS

Does anyone know where I can get my grubby little mits on a Flash Player port for the Palm OS ?

I want to see what kind of animations my little Palm V is able to play with its crappy 20MHZ processor.

Does anyone have any links to other cool Flash Player ports.

Thanx in advance

Nemesis101

do they even have a Flash player for Palm??? i dont think it can support Flash's graphics...if it did...it would come out really crappy!

that`s defnitly the joke of the year... why do u want to use that cheesy palm, to see flash movies?...

this little thing has only a toy processor.
    and actually, there is no flash-player for palm to get.

forgett it!! and grow up never mind..but palm is still a toy for me..

The Flash Palm player is ready. Macromedia have just not released it yet. The Palm may be a toy to you but it’s a test bed for me to see what kind of vector applications can run on the Palm OS. If u stopped making childish comments you might realize that most new smart phones are going to be using some sort of a Java based OS.
    And guess what - 2 or 3 of the worlds largest phone makers want to use the Palm OS on these phones......

Guess what kind of markets this opens up to flash developers?

Later

Nemesis101

Smile

Originally posted by Nemesis101
    The Flash Palm player is ready. Macromedia have just not released it yet. The Palm may be a toy to you but it’s a test bed for me to see what kind of vector applications can run on the Palm OS. If u stopped making childish comments you might realize that most new smart phones are going to be using some sort of a Java based OS.
    And guess what - 2 or 3 of the worlds largest phone makers want to use the Palm OS on these phones......

Guess what kind of markets this opens up to flash developers?

Later

Nemesis101

And if you saw the ease with which the flash player can be optimised to run on these platforms you'd be amazed at how Macromedia get away with the publically available flash player...

What the hell?

The Palm has got a small screen and a slow processor. The Apple Newton MP 2100 has got a RISC processor with about 183Mhz and a huge screen with greyscale support.

Flash is an animation format. The Palm could not display the smooth fading animations that the Mac can display.

If there will be a Flash player for the Palm, then it will only support the color version (Palm IIIc).

Really sounds funny that flash goes with a Palm, but who knows...:-) If the Flash Player for Palm is going to be out, then I definitely think that the only way Palm OS could handle it is with a really small screen...and would it really be worth it when you couldn't even see the letters?

You "new breed" of developers are funny...

(in best cry-baby voice)

"The processors too slow"

"The screen's too small"

"There's no way you can do that in black & white"

You know, if the world of computing were left up to you people, we wouldn't be where we are today... Needing 500+mhz machine with dedicated graphics cards to do what older machines have been able to do for years.

Pull your head out of your butts. Of course, the Palm should be able to handle Flash. With its smaller screen, there's less to update. Also, if a *dedicated* API is made for the Palm, it would run MUCH FASTER than any of the bloated WinBlows crap that we run.

Remember kiddies, Assembly is the heart of the machine, not C, not C++, not Flash, not Java. Of course, most of you guys must think that computers started with the Internet, and that the Internet has been around forever (just in case you were wondering, they didn't).

I don't think that that was *quite* necessary...

They may be thinking that you want the palm to run their existing flash animations (screen too small). They may think that windows is all there is, or that it is the only OS out there. The palm isn't *that* powerful, and would struggle with complicated flash movies. Or maybe it wouldn't...

I heard that macromedia demonstrated it on palm, but for whatever reason haven't released it. After seeing that you can get a player for winCE now, perhaps Microsoft "had a word"...

Have you seen http://www.pogo-tech.com? That's got a UI done in flash...

I reworked a few animations recently for the Compaq iPaq. The client was very interested in demonstrating their learning applications on a PDA. There were a few limitations but basically everything worked out fine. Right now you have to author the flash to fit into a specific web page layout. The only sound format supported is ADPCM. Anyhing with over four tweens moving at a time and any alpha channels whatsoever chugged and jerked.

My feeling is that once you learn to workaround the basic limitations, this is going to be a great resource for flash developers.

Other details:
    author in Flash 5 with Flash 4 action script syntax and output as flash 4.

You must use the new html templates available from macromedia.

No over state on buttons. It is a touch screen so static and down states only.

Test early and test often. I had a few occassions where specific images and masks did not show correctly. I was under the gun so I didn't troubleshoot enough to give a good explanation of why they did not work.

Don't knock it until you try it.

This is MM Player List http://sdc.shockwave.com/shockwave/download/alternates/

This is G Movie A Palm Version of Flash that also plays it...

http://www.genericmedia.com/products/index.html The G Movie Player can Play SWF...

So, it is for real.

This is the article on how to convert SWF to Generic Media format- http://www.thinkmobile.com/Article/00/00/91/Default.asp

I couldnt help putting in my 2 cents. I have to disagree about the negative comments about running flash on palms. Dinasour that I am, I created tax form software on a Timex Sinclair years ago. Tap the keys a bit too hard on this little box, and you lost you program. Ok, it was pretty funny now, looking back. But we wrote all kinds of working programs for the very first apple and boxes even much less powerful. If you attended the flashforward conf, you would have heard and seen some examples of flash running on a phone, and even a wrist watch. Doesnt mean you have to use it just to create animations. Think of all the potential with actionscript like bank transactions and there are lots more possibilites. We heard about the day when our fridge will be ordering the food for us. Those little sensors will detect when the milk is almost gone and place the order. May sound silly at first, but the technology is hear and the sky is the limit. Ever seen Junyard wars?? Its all about creativity and ingenuity!

Doesnt mean you have to use it just to create animations. Think of all the potential with actionscript like bank transactions and there are lots more possibilites
    Unfortunately the Palm Flash Player doesn't have actions. So, creating animations is just about all you can do.

Unfortunately the Palm Flash Player doesn't have actions. So, creating animations is just about all you can do.
    HMMM, then I guess all of the tell target and conditional statements that I wrote in the iPaq Flash movies were a figment of my imagination?!?

Where did you get this little tidbit of info? My experience says it is incorrect.

It is true that the objects from flash 5 do not apply but I did not find a flash 4 action that did not function on the iPaq player.

HMMM, then I guess all of the tell target and conditional statements that I wrote in the iPaq Flash movies were a figment of my imagination?!?
    No - but then I am using the gMovie Player on a PALM PILOT (not the same thing as an iPaq).