A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: looking for opinions on swift 3d

hi,

I'm looking for the opinions of people who have worked in other 3d programs about how they like swift. any comments are appreciated.

-chris

Talking

I jumped at swift 3d when it first came out and was kinda stoked about it. The first few weeks with it were kinda "this ain't such a great program", but in the manual their pretty blunt about it and tell you it's just a beginning for 3d in vector format so don't expect to much.

It's get better once you learn how to use it, what I mean is that it is a very simple program to use, but to get good results is another thing. You have to really teach yourself to use Adobe Illustrator files and what to expect and not to expect from the results and you have to teach yourself to look at objects in a differant way. It is not a program that can handle complex groups of objects and doesn't allow much for reshaping of objects in the program. Which is it's downfall.

Like a lot of 3d programs out there it is very easy to use but does take awhile to get good at it....as does Flash.

There are many good 3d programs out there but not many for vector images so this is there nitch.

So to finish up, is it worth the price, which is probably what you want to know. Well personally I would wait until maybe a Swift 3d version 2 comes out (if ever) and then spend the money. It is an awful lot of cash for something you may or may not use a lot.

But these are my opinions on it.

Mike

thanks

thanks, mike.

the money thing isnt much of an issue....cause when they come out with the mac version, I'm going to try to get my company to pay for it. I was hoping for character animation......but mostly i want ti just for a few effects in flash. I've noticed the limitations for animation in flash and i've been trying to make up for them in visual tricks.

-chris

No need to stress out sock puppet. We'll have a demo version available for download VERY shortly. I respect Mike's opinion, but try it out for yourself. If you have done real 3D in Flash, you will love this program and it will likely pay for itself the first time you use it (unless you're the fastest hand-tracer in the west)!

If you just can't wait, we offer a 30 day money back guarantee...no questions asked

thanks, dk.
    im actually mostly interested in the mac version.
    and i have done some hand tracing......
    being an animator i am used to monotonous tasks,
    but i try to find ways around ones that seem unnecessary.
    anyway, i look foward to trying your program.

-c