A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Linksys NSLU2 - thots? -->

Linksys NSLU2 - thots? -->

I was thinking of getting one of these for a file server at the office instead of using a computer.

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/...pno~386681.asp

seems pretty cool, for around $200 you could have a 250GB file server.

anyone used one? love them? hate them? I know it is a consumer grade solution.. but we're talking 3-5 people accessing at a time, we do mostly web work so file-size/transfer rates aren't a huge issue.

I haven't used that particular model, I've used the Iomega NAS instead in recent past, and three to five people hitting it at once shouldn't be a problem... as long as you're not using it to stream video/music. I personally love them; however I've finally set up a Linux box to act as a file server/NAS as well as my firewall.

You should love it, but I'd definitely use it wired to a router; and if you're all wireless, look for the transfers to be as slow as 11mb/s not 100baseT. Just got through assisting a friend that was going nuts about his transfer so slow... took him off of wireless, took him wired, he sorta shut up.

It's a snap to set up too.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

wow, 250gigs for $80 bucks? I would just hope that it's not one of those 'you get what you pay for' situations. I'm interested. I'd lean towards linksys but only becuase I didn't even know iomega still existed.

Iomega rolled with the punches... Syquest couldn't.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]