A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dave-O vs. Lefteyewilly :: 99 Luftballons

Very cool battle guys!
    Love the colours.

Another approach to the eerie effect that Gerbick described would be a duplicate of the image. Set the uppermost layer to screen and apply a gaussian blur (play with this to get the desired blur). Then put an levels or curves adjustment layer over the lower image layer. Play till you get the desired coloring. You can also play by adding the blurred layer a couple more times and masking areas here and there. If done right it can pimp an image.

On a side not. If you take the image into lab mode and do some adjustments there with sharpening the luminosity layer, it can really bring the image to life. But be careful with this colors can go haywire if you go crazy. Also if you convert it over to cmyk from lab you loose alot of quality, but it you take it over to RGB it usually holds up pretty well.
    ------------------

Sometimes we are the windshield. . . But, most of the time, we are just the bug. (c;
    My cycling themed designs Pats Design Portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick
    Quite impressive guys...

Nepzap, I'm almost willing to bet that he duplicated the image, applied a slight gaussian blur - about 2-4 pixels at the highest - adjusted the levels a slight bit to a bit lighter than the original and then Soft Light on that layer. If you desaturate the blurred copy, and then lower the opacity and deepen the shadows, you can actually add a deeper quality to the shadows and still keep that dreamy look... Soft Light as well.

It's very close to the "glamour shots" style... it'll smooth out highlights, add a bit o' contrast, and can make it all look "dreamy".

That's how I'd do it... with Photoshop, there's usually 10 different ways for the same output.

Yup that's pretty much how i did it. Although, i set the top most layers (that i wanted the effect on) to overlay, the one below that to screen, and the one below that is the original non-blurred image set to normal. I did that for all three parts of the image, setting each one different based on which ones i wanted to pop more.

Edit: thanks for the kind comments guys (and gal) .
    Last edited by lefteyewilly; 12-30-2005 at 01:38 PM.

i had a hard time comming up with a return and i really don't think this is the best i could do, but here it is

oooh, creepy... I like it.

Just a couple tips....work on your lighting and shadows, especially on the guy laying on the ground and the guy wiht no eyes. The dodge and burn tools are your friends, you can use them on the edges to make an image look like it belongs rather than just placed.

It's new year's, so i'll probably have something up on monday.

thanks for the advice, i was able to get the guy in the background and the guy with the axe to have propershading (or atleast what i thought looked right), but i had the hardest time with the 2 you mentioned, glad you like it atleast, i can't wait to see what you come back with.

happy new years

Last edited by lefteyewilly; 01-02-2006 at 09:35 PM.

very cool lefteye.

what does it mean?

SAMedia Blog (general bs) :: jwinmedia (my music site)
    "Think of an advertisement where the product you're marketing is Jesus!"
    -From a work for hire ad

it doesn't mean anything, man...i really really like sureal images. It lets the viewer read into it. If you asked me to make an image that meant something with a theme, i would do so. I'm used to making boring ads most of the time, so the arena allows my artistic side to come out.

Edit: horrible spelling mistakes.
    Last edited by lefteyewilly; 01-03-2006 at 01:26 AM.

dave-O... your mutant dude looks eerily like the one thing that gave me nightmares as a kid... ever seen Ray Bradbury's "Martian Chronicles? that was the only damn thing as a kid that caused me sleepless nights... I think I might have one more tonight.

awesome lighting in the stock, I think you added some more to it; however the images you added to the image don't share the same light sources. You matched the lighting in some places; however I feel compelled to say that the image balance is also off for the image - there's a lot going on that's pushed back behind the upfront details. good image, but it's just not balanced.

now on to the next one... weirdest damn image I've seen in a long damn time lefteye.

and I'm loving it. just a bit less saturation on the left side, and some crisper shadows would have made it "pop" a bit more, imho. seriously guys... looking good so far. both of ya'.

keep up the fun in this battle guys... I'm loving that I sure as hell don't know where the next image will take us.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Yeah, i had a really really hard time with the left side of the image. This canvas size is very hard to make do, especially when it's vertical. I tried it many different ways, but it didn't come out right, and i had about 3 versions that i had in my mind. But i'm pretty happy with the over all 'image'

....and even though i told Jwin that it had no meaning, i was going to put a gun on the floor, or have the fowardmost moose holding a gun up towards the viewer, as if it was a 'moose mafia' but, i didn't like the idea of having it so 'definite' in meaning.

and thanks gerbs...you really give a lot of insight into images and how they could be better. You've always helped me out in what i can improve on, and seriously, i think you (and many other members) have really increased my skills to the point where i can pull off some good stuff...many of which you will never see here at the arena, but in my regular job and freelance jobs.

Dave if you need the stocks, here are the originals, all from www.SXC.hu:
    http://www.sxc.hu/browse.phtml?f=view&id=191863
    http://www.sxc.hu/browse.phtml?f=view&id=324312
    http://www.sxc.hu/browse.phtml?f=view&id=419402
    http://www.sxc.hu/browse.phtml?f=view&id=425083
    Last edited by lefteyewilly; 01-03-2006 at 01:38 AM.

holy crap lefteye, nice return

i have a million ideas floating around right now, i'll get something up asap

and thanks for the tips gerbick, continuity doesn't always come easy for me, and advice on how to make that happen are always helpful

Yeh left eye I think it looks great. Very clean and crisp lines. Nice color. It just could have been saying many different things. I have studied most art mediums and tend to always be saying something (however vague it can be) just by nature.

Keep em comin
    -J

SAMedia Blog (general bs) :: jwinmedia (my music site)
    "Think of an advertisement where the product you're marketing is Jesus!"
    -From a work for hire ad

i've been crazy busy, my reply should be up later tonight if not tomorow for sure

take your time, i'm busy too.

Alright, so I know that some things seem a bit out of place, but I did my best, I would be very greatful for any insight on how to make everything look like it belongs.

awesome concept mang!

It may be a couple days before i return with an image...i'm a bit under teh weather right now, and i think i might be sleeping for the next couple days.

Dave-O, I agree with lefteyewilly. The concept is cool.

I think you nailed the moose (that sounds funny). It seems to fit the image.

The two areas that could be improved are the gun and the guy. The gun seems to have a whiteish glow around itand the colors don;t seem to match the background. By using the color balance and contrast or curves controls you might be able to match the background image more closely. The same goes for the guy.

The lefteyewilly on the plaque seems to match and seem realistic, like the moose.

If you fixed up those couple things, it seems like it might tighten up the image, but overall it's a very nice image. Good job.

_t
    I don't feel tardy.

lefteye, take your time, how ever long you need take it.

shotsy thanks for the advice