A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Am I aiming too high?

Am I aiming too high?

Alright. Recently, I've been thinking about my future. I'm a freshman in college currently, and I've come to realize, I'm not going to deliver pizzas 3 days a week for the rest of my life. So, that begs the question; what am I going to do for a living? I hadn't really given this much thought, since I had no idea what I wanted to do, until very recently.

I've decided I'd like to pursue a career in the Federal Government, preferably with the DEA or FBI. The DEA requires that their Special Agents have a Bachelors degree in a certain focus (I'm in the clear, majoring in Sociology with a focus in Criminology and Law at Suffolk University), and graduate with at least a 2.95 GPA (I have a 3.6). This is the route I think I will be taking, seeing as I don't think I'll have a problem with the physical aspect of it all (I'm a college athlete). Obviously, the FBI is a longer shot, and detailing all that they require would take all day.

But yeah, for those of you already out in the work world, am I aiming too high here? It seems like the federal gov't is very competitive, especially law enforcement, and even if I fulfill these requirements, do you think I'll get a fair shake? Or should I pursue law school, and possibly start out in the lower areas of law enforcement, like local / state?

And here I thought this was yet another urinal story thread.

Dude, my sis is FBI. It's not that hard to get into - just show some dedication and willingness to take some serious ol' school bull**** and politics - but you're a smart dude. I don't see anything that you're aiming for that's "too high"... go for it.

I have faith you can do it.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

i know folks in the fbi too...it sound like you are what they need more of: smart, young, enthusiastic people. you're certainly not aiming to high. just remember, the government does take care of its own (compensation, benefits, early retirement, etc), but that all comes at a price (they expect absolute, little-life-outside-of-work dedication.)

what about going into plastics?

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

i know folks in the fbi too..they sit outside my house in this ice cream truck for hours....

feds is a good job move.. better then the market i am lookin at

I always thought a job with the FBI would be pretty wild. You sound like a very strong student and I think you won't have any trouble getting a job.

I've heard from some people trying to get their foot in the door that foreign language ability helps with FBI applications - if you don't speak one already, try to get as proficient in a second language as you can, Spanish and Farsi being the most obvious.
    Hush child. japangreg can do what he wants. - PAlexC
    That was Zen - this is Tao.

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    ONLY RON PAUL AND ALUMINUM FOIL CAN SAVE YOU NOW!
    annoy your politician fairtax.org, a political forum

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyLittleCar
    grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    Quiet down, you hippy!
    Hush child. japangreg can do what he wants. - PAlexC
    That was Zen - this is Tao.

I would go to law school, that is always a great thing to have, and the federal government isn't going anywhere, unfortunately.

you could always call the g.gordon liddy show and ask him, he was in the fbi... gone a little crazy in his old age though.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Or maybe you could look into the animation field or something instead...join pixar or the likes..
    Flashmatics | Flashmatics Library (free downloads)
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Latest Projects:
    The Dead Room | Are You Smarter | Prison Break (Frame A Friend) | Beck's Fusions | The 24 Experience

-----------------------------------------------------
    Flash Certified Developer

i've had a couple friends go into law enforcement and it's been a really good move for them. you can't beat a government job, best pay, vacation time and benefits.

just don't let them mess with your head too much

Yeppers they love to mess with a fellows head. I know a couple of peeps that went from local law inforcement to the fbi. They weren't to terribly bright but cocky as all get out (I think this is a requirement). And don't turn into one of those people that carries a gun just to get the mail (unless you live in the getto). I had a friend that had his gun holstered even when in pajamas sitting in his living room. Phew I was glad when he moved...

Go for it.
    ------------------

Sometimes we are the windshield. . . But, most of the time, we are just the bug. (c;
    My cycling themed designs Pats Design Portfolio

yes you're aiming too high.

Just give up now and quit while you still can.
    Read this article for more inspiration...
    http://www.theonion.com/content/node/39199

Seriously though, FBI or DEA sounds cool, just don't come after me.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyLittleCar
    I would go to law school, that is always a great thing to have, and the federal government isn't going anywhere, unfortunately.

you could always call the g.gordon liddy show and ask him, he was in the fbi... gone a little crazy in his old age though.

not a bad idea, but you also have to think about another 50k in tuition for a job that will take a LONG time to clear 100k.

go to a crappy law school

I keep reading this Am I too high?

since I am in here I will answer, no... you aren't... go into the FBI or DEA, It sounds like you definitely are on your way to being successful at whatever you decide to persue.