A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The hockey gods smile on Canada

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar

The hockey gods smile on Canada

For those who missed the game, the Canadian world junior team took Russia to school last night and showed them how to play the game. If it was wearing red our boys laid it flat or fired a puck at it. 5-0. Sweet.

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/

Russian coach Sergey Mikhalev said in a post game interview that a disallowed goal could have swung the game in Russia's favour. Yeah right, maybe if they had 5 more of them and they didn't play like old women.

Crybaby Russian goalie Anton Khudobin tossed his gloves, various sticks and eventually his mask. His puck avoidance strategy and the Russian coach's refusal to pull the seive (like they did after after 3 or 4 goals last year) seemed key to the Russian losing strategy.

Russian superstar Evgeni Malkin dind't even have a chance to get his game in gear. Every time Malkin got near the puck there was a white jersey right beside him (or on top of him). Although he scored a tournament leading 10 points, he might as well have stayed on the bench for this one.

Back to back golds. Brent Sutter is the man.

oh yeah, the much overrated team USA lost the bronze to Finland 4-2, nice try though guys...
    When your swf2exe tool just HAS to work
    there's only one choice... SWF Studio

Sphinx
    That was such a good game, comeau is really starting to shine.

Hello in Freddy Beach!

I lived in F'ton for about 4 years and then moved to a little town about 45 mins away. I did five years (sounds like a prison sentence) at UNB before moving to Ottawa.

Still missing the awesome chicken shwarma I used to get at the Farmer's Market...

Sphinx
    Quote Originally Posted by Northcode
    Hello in Freddy Beach!

I lived in F'ton for about 4 years and then moved to a little town about 45 mins away. I did five years (sounds like a prison sentence) at UNB before moving to Ottawa.

Still missing the awesome chicken shwarma I used to get at the Farmer's Market...

Hey,
    I've lived here for I think nine years now, time goes buy I lose track. I did do years at UNB in business which I hated and now I'm doing the complete opposite. What did you take? I love the farmers market, don't get to go much these day's, I like all the different cheeses they have. What's shwarma?
    What's going on in Ottawa, is it a nice place? I've only been to TO and St. Catherine's.

I took computer science (co-op program) when I was there and lived in residence for a couple of years and spent way too much time at the Social Club.

A shwarma is basically chicken, garlic (lots) and some veggies (typically pickled turnip, lettuce and tomato) in a pita. It rocks.

Ottawa feels very much like F'ton just with more to do It's not crowded, dirty and full of skyscrapers like Toronto.

Is that veiled dig from a Sens fan on the Leafs?
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

No, Toronto sucks regardless of the Leafs...

Uh, Phil Kessel from the USA led the tournament in scoring, not Malkin.

PS: Team USA had more talent on their roster than any team in the history of the WJC, save for the 2005 Canada squad.

9 first-rounders, plus the #1 and #2 picks in the upcoming draft in Kessel and EJ. Quite a bunch, no cohesion whatsoever, though. USA's NTDP is becoming a force to be reckoned with. I see them challenging Canada for Gold at the 2010 Olympics.

Last stats I looked at showed Malkin and Kessel both had 10 points for the tournament.

Team USA had more talent
    On paper maybe, they must have forgot to pack it this trip.

When you're picked in the draft is a measure of how good you were in the minors or how good your agent is, but hype does not make you a good player.

Team USA... god's gift to hockey... #1 this, #2 that... blah blah blah.

Raw talent will only get you so far, which is apparently not quite to bronze.

Sphinx
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalOne
    PS: Team USA had more talent on their roster than any team in the history of the WJC, save for the 2005 Canada squad.

9 first-rounders, plus the #1 and #2 picks in the upcoming draft in Kessel and EJ. Quite a bunch, no cohesion whatsoever, though. USA's NTDP is becoming a force to be reckoned with. I see them challenging Canada for Gold at the 2010 Olympics.

That's something I don't agree with is sending professional players to and event that was made for up and coming athletes to get a foot hold. Professional players, hockey, basketball, etc, shouldn't be there. It's not fair.

When you're picked in the draft is a measure of how good you were in the minors or how good your agent is, but hype does not make you a good player.
    Case in point: Petr Prucha.

</Rangers fan>
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog

The whole professional vs. amateur designation crap for the olympics and has nothing to do with the mandate of th IIHF.

Founded in 1908, the "International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF)", is a federation of member national hockey associations governing the sport of ice hockey and in-line hockey for both men and women. The objectives of the IIHF are:

- to govern, develop and promote ice and in-line hockey throughout the world
    - to develop and control international ice and in-line hockey
    - to promote friendly relations among the member national associations
    - to operate in an organized manner for the good order of the sport

Canada and the USA (basically the NHL) have their own rule book that governs how hockey is played and it's not quite the same as IIHF fules. We follow IIHF rules when we play in IIHF tournaments, but otherwise we're rogue ducks to the rest of the hockey playing world.

Sphinx
    The whole professional vs. amateur designation crap for the olympics and has nothing to do with the mandate of th IIHF.

I agree! All I said was is that NHL's and other paid professionals have no business in the Olympics!

The Olympics are being used as a marketing venue for the NHL. It's not a bad idea if you want to have professional hockey on TV regularly in the U.S.

Honestly, I enjoy it. I'd really like to see Olympic-style rules in the NHL and the bigger ice surface, the game is much more enjoyable when it's that open. Give a guy like Jagr or Mats Sundin all that open ice and you'll see some neat stuff.

Sphinx
    Quote Originally Posted by PAlexC
    The Olympics are being used as a marketing venue for the NHL. It's not a bad idea if you want to have professional hockey on TV regularly in the U.S.

Honestly, I enjoy it. I'd really like to see Olympic-style rules in the NHL and the bigger ice surface, the game is much more enjoyable when it's that open. Give a guy like Jagr or Mats Sundin all that open ice and you'll see some neat stuff.

True! That's cause they were raised on it. I think it would create more scoring chances but it always seems to decrease the hitting which sucks. I don't know if I like the disappearance of the redline. Any thoughts?

I think the game's better. Removing the 2-line pass springs a few extra plays per game, sometimes they work, sometimes not but there's definitely more breakaways. I still see clean hits, not as many but I'll take that over nothing going on because everyone's tangled up. The obstruction crackdown has had a bigger impact I think, let's see how long it lasts this time.

I used to hate having my team play the Devils. They'd grab a 1 goal lead and slow the game down to a crawl with absolutely nothing going on in the 3rd. Now I enjoy watching the Devils suck.

Also, Bertuzzi needs to step it up and stop playing like a little girl on the ice. Vancouver's a fun team to watch when he's acting like a leader and looking to put the hurt on someone.

Sphinx
    As much as I like to see the big hurt put on, Bertuzzi might want to take it a little easier, considering. Exsplains the girl like act.
    I agree that it seems to have made the game better but we'll see. I enjoy watching the devils suck too. The canadiens are doing well this year, I was beginning to wonder when they'd ever snap out of it.

IMHO the Olympics should be for the BEST athletes in the world, paid or not.

If you're the best hockey player you're going to be playing professionally. Why should that exclude you from being recognized as the best in the world at what you do? If you're the best javelin thrower, you're probably an amateur, cause let's face it, who's gonna pay to see someone throw a javelin, except at the Olympic games?

All "sports" with interprative or artistic scoring should be banned from the Olympics immediately, or at least moved to the Special Olympics where they belong. This includes figure skating, most gymnastic events and synchronized anything.

Keep any sports where the medal goes to the guy (or gal) who hits the hardest, runs the fastest, jumps the highest, lasts the longest, shoots the straightest, kills the most, or anything else that can be measured without asking the judge how he feels.

Sphinx
    IMHO the Olympics should be for the BEST athletes in the world, paid or not.

If you're the best hockey player you're going to be playing professionally. Why should that exclude you from being recognized as the best in the world at what you do? If you're the best javelin thrower, you're probably an amateur, cause let's face it, who's gonna pay to see someone throw a javelin, except at the Olympic games?

All "sports" with interprative or artistic scoring should be banned from the Olympics immediately, or at least moved to the Special Olympics where they belong. This includes figure skating, most gymnastic events and synchronized anything.

Keep any sports where the medal goes to the guy (or gal) who hits the hardest, runs the fastest, jumps the highest, lasts the longest, shoots the straightest, kills the most, or anything else that can be measured without asking the judge how he feels.
    Professionals should not be there because the main difference isn't whether there professional or not it's really what they have to work with. Physically it's not fair because they have the funds and proper equipment to work with to be in top shape and they don't have to enter into tournaments all year all over the world just to win a place so that they can go in the first place. Athletes who arn't pros get there money and equipment based on donations, fundraisers, family and if there lucky enough to hold down a job and train at the same time.
    As for anything artistic sports, figure skating for example is far more harder and requires at least a brain to achieve properly. The training is far more exscruciating and it uses far more energy than say hockey. I'm not knocking hockey though cause I love it. The olympics is for everyone yes, but if you're gonna be there everyone should at least be on a level playing field. Professionals=NOT LEVEL!