A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Making a good, right sized game (help please!)

MSPaint Master

Making a good, right sized game (help please!)

Im starting a game which is going to be a 2-D game like this, but not the same stuff/concept
    edit:The characters are going to be taller and the objects straighter=P

Do i need to make 4 frames?
    1.Front
    2.Back
    3.Left/right sides
    also im confused I cant make the character move up and switch frames so that you see the back >P

could someone help?.....Please?
    Last edited by Eponefive; 01-07-2006 at 02:36 AM.

Ce-Bro Productions, an online game making a web comic community

Ce-Bro.com

Yeh I worked with something similar to this. First of all you need to make a front back left and right. Make a hidden element called "main" (make it like a square the size of your guy or something). Click the element then click the center Icon so the center is in the center. Then make a script run every frame saying front.x=main.x front.y=main.y back.x=main.y etc... In the start script say back.hide() sides.hide() so only the front side shows. Make a key element saying "on up arrow font.hide() and back.show()" and do the acording things for the others. You can add velocity to it moves up and you see the back of the characters head. If you plan on doing walking animations you'd do the same thing just say "on keydown up play and show animation "walkup", on keyup up stop and hide animation and back.show()" etc. Tell me if this helps, if it doesn't I can make an example.
    BC

MSPaint Master
    I kind of understand but could you put it in code? please

Ce-Bro.com

actually I'm suppose to be making a tutorial for this guy scotty and hes asking the same thing. So I'll just post it here on the forum. He wanted it by 6 so I'll post it around 6. Its a video tutorial so it'll be huge so if its too big for flashkit I'll put it on my server.
    BC

hey

hey, just wondering lol did you ever finish the tutorials for i believe it was the orcs game or something? You asked a while back if we wanted some and me and someone else wanted a few.

Just wondering.

MSPaint Master
    ok thanks Conn, I cant wait =)

Ce-Bro.com

Heres a source I made instead, I have a video version but its too big and all messed up so heres the source with the pics. Make sure you replace the paths and make sure its transparent and velocity is enabled and properties is enabled and all that jazz. Here you go. and yeh sonic, I believe I promised you guys a tutorial on that orc game but have not been able to get to that one yet. Sorry I'll try and do it over a 3 day weekend or something. I'll try and refine a video one for this for my big tutorial thing. I'll try to complete my huge tutorial in a month or two like I said, its hard to find time.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    BC

MSPaint Master
    thanks so much, I couldnt do it easier without your help =)

Ce-Bro.com

urwelcome epon, just asking what is your site? also did you make that banner yourself cause its very nice?
    BC

MSPaint Master
    My site is a forums (for now) to let people give suggestions graphics and such, so I can make the game the way everyone likes=)
    I put the words on it but didnt create the banner some guy did.

edit:1 more question, How do you make it so the guy stays in the center, the screen moves, but makes it look like to guy is moving? if you understand
    Last edited by Eponefive; 01-08-2006 at 08:37 PM.

Ce-Bro.com

hey

hey, i looked at the picture of the game you want to make that is simular to the one in the picture, and that game looked like tibia, a mmo rpg. That would be like impossible to do with 3dfa, well it would take a hell lot of time of one person.... So is that the type of game your trying to make?

MSPaint Master
    well not "like" that but 2-D like it, and yes it will take a hell of a lot of time for just me, its not that impossible it seems hard but I will go for it=) all you have to do is make it look like the guy is moving but have the screen move w/ the environment around it.
    Im good at pixel art and graphics and thats almost the hardest part O.o

Ce-Bro.com

lol

lol, no i mean making an online game like the on in the picture would be like impossible.... (lots of time) Is that what your making or...What type of game are you making?

MSPaint Master
    yes lol, my step dad is a programmer and he will help me set up servers and stuff like that=P

Ce-Bro.com

sweet

sweet, well good luck like an impossible task for one but.... who knows...

Are you going to have a money system where people pay to play like most online games or will it most likely be free?

MSPaint Master
    free, but pay to save your stats, kills, money and such, well actually thats idea =P

Ce-Bro.com

for te question about guy stays in center, just make everything move around him then him actually move. I suggest make a var called "everything", then saying like house.velocity.x=everything and then having a keyboard element saying "on key down everything=100 or something". And if you plan to make a mmorp, how do you plan to do the "online" part, if your gona use mysql it takes about 3-4 seconds for each transaction to go through.
    BC

A Senior Newbie - How Odd ForumNewbie's Avatar
    Hi,

I would recommend taking a look at the 2 threads that mention the phrase 'Community Project'. I seem to recall one of them had a game where there was a map defined in an array, and a character who stayed somewhere near the center of the screen.

It was a 'Boulderdash' type game, if that helps, and I seem to recall a lot of the source code was posted which you might be able to use. I have a feeling that the methods used in it would be of real benefit to your project, since the writer had already managed to resolve lots of problems such as smoothness and speed of gameplay.

Hope this helps,

Morgan.
    Please note that my domain has changed to http://www.morganmultinational.com

MSPaint Master
    ok the source codes will be easier than typing it all out (even though I shouldnt be lazy) =P

Im going to work with what conn said until further notice,

thanks guys,
    E5

Ce-Bro.com