A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: couple general questions about flv

couple general questions about flv

need a little general info about handling video from you big posting pros

i've never had to serve up videos dynamically before like i do jpgs or mp3s. the time has come. i've been doing very little video stuff just making quicktimes and turning them into swfs for my own use. now there's a video/filmaker client coming up. i have to handle videos like other data.

i see and get how to hook up a netStream and import an flv. FLV is like a quicktime? more standalone showing though a projector?

are there any other big advantages other than framerate? is the cpu/video/sound load lighter on the client's computer? any major bugs?

will i still have to create every flv or is that something anybody that makes quicktimes can do now?

thanks!

free-webmaster-resource.com deamothul's Avatar
    Im no big video pro but have created some video presentations and one site too that uses flv's. I just imported the video i wanted to use in Flash and created an FLV from it. I then setup a netStream and played that flv dynamically.

The framerate independancy is a big plus, the file size of a document stays small because you dont import a video and it streams the video so this is a big plus as it begins to play almost immediately and doesnt have to download fully first.

Just my 2 cents

If you like you can download my free xml driven video player at www.flashmatics.co.uk/blog and analyse the code
    Flashmatics | Flashmatics Library (free downloads)
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Latest Projects:
    The Dead Room | Are You Smarter | Prison Break (Frame A Friend) | Beck's Fusions | The 24 Experience

-----------------------------------------------------
    Flash Certified Developer

Quote Originally Posted by moot
    need a little general info about handling video from you big posting pros

i've never had to serve up videos dynamically before like i do jpgs or mp3s. the time has come. i've been doing very little video stuff just making quicktimes and turning them into swfs for my own use. now there's a video/filmaker client coming up. i have to handle videos like other data.

i see and get how to hook up a netStream and import an flv. FLV is like a quicktime? more standalone showing though a projector?

are there any other big advantages other than framerate? is the cpu/video/sound load lighter on the client's computer? any major bugs?

will i still have to create every flv or is that something anybody that makes quicktimes can do now?

thanks!
    FLV is a "Flash Live Video" file. It is a format that is designed for web playback, offering high rates of compression. Several products output in FLV format, including Sorenson Squeeze (The term "movie" often refers to common Flash source files (.FLA) and deployed files (.SWF) and is not synonymous with "video").
    The Flash Player browser plugin can play an FLV, but that FLV, must be either embedded in or linked to a SWF. That is, you can't just put the actual FLV on an HTML page. You can however reference the FLV file using action script and SWF

Macromedia's latest foray is Flash Communications Server and Macromedia Flash MX. Its been around for about 2 years now. In this system, a Flash application communicates through the Flash Communication Server. Usually these applications enable person-to-person communication (one-to-many, or many-to-many). Flash may also be used for machine-human communication, such as real-time data transmission and notification.

Even though the browser can play the file while connected to the server, there is no operating system player for the Flash FLV file format, so the file cannot be played locally. Given the connection to the MX server however, it allows the user to play the movie directly in their chosen browser. Flash MX server can also administer time spent and pending usage as previously purchased by the user.

Highlights of the Flash MX Server include the ability to provide your end users with the best possible experience via a seamlessly integrated client that lets you brand your broadcast the way you want to, with any devices containing the Flash Player being capable of delivering movies when connected to the MX Communications server.

Real Time Collaboration is a powerful programming model that will allow many multiple connected users to share data and user interfaces in real time, coupled with client and server data storage capabilities. Support for off-line usage in addition to on-line usage allows the creation of robust applications that can be used offline, and then synchronized automatically when the user goes back online.

The Flash Communication Server has functions for server-side scripts that may disconnect users, authenticate, and control. Applications can be developed for moderators or administrators to perform custom maintenance and monitoring.

The Macromedia Flash Communication Server works with multiple network adapters on the server machine. This allows the server to be built for maximum network throughput. In addition, "virtual hosts" may be configured on each adapter. Virtual hosts can be used to isolate different server users, allowing each server user to add applications freely while keeping their programs separate from others.

A Fantastic File Format
    The file format used in this process is Flash FLV or Flash Live Video, and it plays in a Flash Player. While traditional methods of media delivery include some kind of download to the user's computer, either in a pre-loader or through temporary Internet files, Flash MX Communications server and a Flash FLV Player connect in a completely different manner. Simply put, it's a new connection to the file each time the user uses the controls in the player. This means that in the background it's a "start here" – "stop here" – "start again here" style of play, with no downloads or caching.

Here's The Top Ten Reasons to Stream Video Using Flash

1. FLV format file sizes after conversion are up to 60% smaller, saving server storage costs.

2. FLV's start - stop connection style saves on bandwidth (which is as much as 60% less per month).

3. FLV format has no local player in operating systems, so file sharing is virtually nullified.

4. FLV format plays directly in more browsers than Windows Media, Real Player or QuickTime.

5. FLV server can authenticate clients, and control users as you wish.

6. FLV players can be completely customized for logos, branding and embedded links.

7. FLV players can play files from a programmable database, and simple administration area.

8. FLV players can be programmed to integrate with databases for free previews, time, users.

9. FLV encoding can include user information for content tracking, misuse, or DRM.

10. Flash Communications servers are easier to maintain than others, and less prone to security hacks.
    http://www.flvhosting.com/index.php?ssp=2

thanks for replies. i'm workin in 7 and will be netstreaming soon.

you guys put in a keyframe every second when you publish the flv for a scrubber?

Quote Originally Posted by moot
    thanks for replies. i'm workin in 7 and will be netstreaming soon.

you guys put in a keyframe every second when you publish the flv for a scrubber?

About every 30-40 frames

ok. went to make a couple flvs, realized it isn't just sitting there in mx pro. i installed the video exporter from macromedia.com and still dont see it.

what do you click on or do do export to flv?

i've got premiere but dont see it there (i know about sorenson). i dont have 8 installed yet but do own a copy. is that what i need?