A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Help With Drawing -Question

Help With Drawing -Question

I am drawing up a bunch of new characters for a game I'm making. I looked at http://www.3dfa.com/features.htm and if you scroll down it shows the person drawing a ship using a grid. I never used grids to draw my characters before but I would like to now. The problem is, how can I have a grid where I can fill in the squares with colors? I tried making a paint element then clicking the grid icon and stretching out a large grid, but then By stretching out the grid it makes my overal object big! So if I use a colideRect Code, My character is going to collide with tons of objects because of the grid. Is it possible to have a trasparent grid that isnt part of the element but its just their so you can fill in the squares to make characters? Otherwise this is a problem for the parts of the grid that I dont use is a big ammount and this left over grid makes my object bigger than the actual character is. SO when i use the colideRect code, If objects colide with the outsides of the grid I used, things will happen even though the actually character isnt touching anything! ( i know how to make the grid colorless so you cant actually see the grid in my game... But how do I have it so when I click paint element, or when i create a movie, that their is a default grid to help me draw? But so this grid doesnt get in the way when using the collideRect function?????

Thanks
    Last edited by sonic04; 01-09-2006 at 07:10 PM.

MSPaint Master
    all I know is zoom in to draw with grid, but I dont know about other stuff =P

Ce-Bro Productions, an online game making a web comic community

Ce-Bro.com

A Senior Newbie - How Odd ForumNewbie's Avatar
    If I understand right, you just want to have a grid available when drawing in 3DFA, and don't need it to appear in the movie itself. If not, ignore the next suggestion:

It sounds like you could use the method you're already using, but when you've finished drawing the grid, in the 'paint' options, there's an option with a red X and a small black box behind it. That allows you to delete just the grid, and leave everything else behind; Just click on the red X, then on the corner of the grid.

I'm sure there's a better method, but that seems the simplest, considering the way you're working already.

Hope this helps,

M.
    Please note that my domain has changed to http://www.morganmultinational.com

thanks, i found another way. You can just click view then make a grid. Then after you draw out the object, you turn off the grid and fill in the boxes with color to make an object, but thanks, ill try your way when I need to make another character.

A Senior Newbie - How Odd ForumNewbie's Avatar
    lol.

Thought it would be in there somewhere, but I stupidly forgot to look in the 'View' menu. Yep, your method is of course the one to use
    Please note that my domain has changed to http://www.morganmultinational.com

MSPaint Master
    lol I just looked for something to use the grid :P and saw that after you said it.
    im such a dunce <:,

Ce-Bro Productions, an online game making a web comic community

Ce-Bro.com