A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Texture mapping problems

Texture mapping problems

Even though I've had 3DFA for the last 3 years I've only really ever used it for text animations. I have just now had to use the 3D model functions in 3DFA for a project I'm working on.

The 3D Soda Can I have texture mapped with a Label I created looks ok, but I can't get the tiling of the label to work properly. It mirrors the label as it wraps around the model. I've attached the model to this post in hopes some one can point out what I'm missing. 3D Soda Can
    Last edited by Doctor Nic; 01-13-2006 at 02:55 PM.

Can't See your Movie/

First all, you need to repost your Movie in a ZIP file. What you have right now is irretrievable. I'll try to help with out seeing what you're talking about. I've actually have done quit a bit with this. There are some problems with how 3DFA handles this. It isn't 100% perfect but for what I used it for it wasn't that noticable. First: How did you create the 3D Model and did 3DFA import it properly. If it did, you should see the wire frame for it. Second: The texture map you use should be mapped around the object cylindricaly and on the Y axis. This places it on the 3D Model as a "Skin". It also depends how the 3D Model was constructed. If you have elements inside other elements, then you need to apply the texture map to the appropriate part of that model. 3DFA does allow you to do that. Hope this gives you a starting point.
    MoonRise

How did you create the 3D Model and did 3DFA import it properly.
    A. It was created in 3D Studio and it imported properly, wireframes visible. I tried it on Cylindrical Y, but it was even more messed up. I hope you can have better luck. Zipped and updated with your suggestion. 3D Soda Can

Didn't notice until now.

Sorry to make you go through this, but can you upload that file to the forum. This is a link to your personal site and Earthlink isn't letting me to that file. When you post a messaage here, and before clicking submit, just below is File Managment interface to upload a file. Still needs to be Zipped.
    MoonRise

Cool Site

Looked at your site by the way. Very nice. 3DFA?
    MoonRise

Never Mind

Got it!!
    MoonRise

This what you want?

Your zip didn't have the picture you wanted to use so I created one. The file was then placed on the can as "Apply planar mapping" - "X". I did some tests with text but it wanted to wrap it twice and the second appeared backwards. If this is what you are having trouble with, it may be a 3DFA problem. Just look at what I did and let me know.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    MoonRise

Thanks, I did it in Photoshop and Flash.

Thats the problem I was having. Sorry about the file problems, This is the first I've used this site. Here is the file with the label I was using. Guess I'll go try Swift3D.
    Last edited by Doctor Nic; 01-13-2006 at 04:56 PM.

Odd

Great label! It has to be within 3DFA. What I was doing was creating planets. Have the surface map for all of them and skinned them over a sphere. I never had the "reverse duplication" problem like yours is doing, but it did always smear the center of the bit map from pole to pole. Just a narrow strip at that. Never figured it out. What is Swift3D? Never heard of it. Sounds interesting.
    MoonRise

Swift3D

Did a search. Found their website. That may be the answer. After creating it there, you should be able to import the finished SWF into 3DFA for use. I say "should" very hesitantly.
    MoonRise

Ulead Cool 3D

After seeing the price for Swift 3D I did another search and found out that Ulead's Cool3D now exports swf. So I created it with that.
    You can see the result here.

Thanks for your help though Moonrise, It helped me confirm that it was a bug in 3DFA causing the problem.
    Last edited by Doctor Nic; 01-13-2006 at 09:22 PM.

Cool!!!

Hey! I like that! I've actually been working with 3DFA. I got it better looking, but I had to create my own 3D can. From what I can tell, 3DFA doesn't import 3D objects to the best degree and also depending on what application created the 3D image. I also have to admit that I did my can kind of in a hurry and it basically sucked. But I was able to skin it almost without problems, it still had that smear in the middle of the BMP from pole to pole. Glad that you were able to get it. I agree about the other software. I also didn't like the fact they didn't have a demo version. Good luck with your project!
    MoonRise

Yeh I usally try to color my 3ds with another program then export it to 3dfa. You can also make two halves of a can, put them together, the put the image on each one, that way it wont stretch and make it look weird.
    BC

Quote Originally Posted by ConnELITE
    Yeh I usally try to color my 3ds with another program then export it to 3dfa. You can also make two halves of a can, put them together, the put the image on each one, that way it wont stretch and make it look weird.
    That's a good work around. Cheers