A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2006 Flashkit Arena Awards

2006 Flashkit Arena Awards

Well, Nords brought up the topic and it sparked a bit of wishing from me.

I think we should have the "1st Annual Flashkit Arena Awards".

This is the only forum on Flashkit that is competitive. Yes, they're all for fun, but wouldn't it be great to have a bit of recognition among your peers here for all your hard work, creativity and artistic abilities?

We've got some great artists, battles and mods here that i think we could get this thing off the ground.

Before i get into categories, i think we should consider how this would be setup. Obviously it would work best as a voting system, with votes from fellow members and such. Now i know with the Calendar that we just had voting for people requested a ranked voting system, but i think seeing there will be only one winner from each category, we could do this right here on flashkit with multiple voting steps.

I see it as one category would come up, and you'd vote for your favorite, then you'd hit a [next] button and the next category would come up and so forth. The one for each category with the most votes wins that category.

I'm not sure if this is possible, but if a mod could get in touch with me on if this works, we can think about it a bit more.

Now for the categories and how nominees are chosen.

(I don't want to leave anybody out, even if they only have one battle or submit one image in an open battle (or other special event). My main goal here is not just for recognition of a good artist. I think if this is done well, and promoted well, we could bring the quality, participation, and overall traffic up in the arena by a bunch.)

1. Volley of the Year *Image Vote*
    2. Battle of the Year (non open battle) (must have at least 10 images total)
    3. Open Battle of the year (non private battle)
    4. Best Open Battle Volley *Image Vote*(only images in a open battle will be allowed)
    5. Best Themed/Interforum Battle (must have at least 8 images total within the thread)
    6. Artist of the Year (must have at least 8 images throughout the year in any thread)
    7. Most Improved Artist (must have at least 5 images throughout the year in any thread)

Now, obviously, there's some logistic problems that we'll need to overcome with the categories. The biggest ones that pose a problem are the non image ones. Say for instance, 'Open Battle of the Year', we could have
    a listing of all open battles during the year with a link to each image underneath in progression to see a full sized version, OR just have a listing of open battles with links to them.

For most improved artist, i think that would have to be a type of 'newbie' vote based on just the name of the artist (and how long they've been volleying), OR again, we could have a listing of all images done by someone new in progression of volley's.

I'd say that we'd start collecting volleys' from the first of the year, and start voting either at the end of next December or January.

Before we really start in on this, i'd like to see what you all think of this. Do you think it's worth it? Do you have any other categories you'd like to suggest? Do you think this will achieve the goal of having more participants and more battles? Is there anything that I'm missing?

If anyone needs/wants to contact me about this, email me at lefteyedesign [at] gmail [dot] com or IM me from AIM at my username.
    Last edited by lefteyewilly; 01-19-2006 at 12:53 AM.

ew you animated it you weirdo!
    This could be like those awards in sixth grade that were about showing love for everyone. how sweet! Seems kinda difficult though...

SAMedia Blog (general bs) :: jwinmedia (my music site)
    "Think of an advertisement where the product you're marketing is Jesus!"
    -From a work for hire ad

Does everyone get a trophy?

prizes can be determined later if we get enough interest going. But again, this is just for fun and to increase participation.

Like i told willie last night, I think it's kind of a fun idea, even though it will be a lot of work, BUT if someone wants to do it, well then all the better. Prizes, hey for prizes maybe you can have like gift certificates to like online graphic designer resource places, or something like that. A pound of coffee and a carton of smokes haha.

*area reserved for future response*

I'll update this area in a bit.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Its going to be really hard to choose though.
    Some of us have only been in the arena for a short time.
    I know who my favorite artists are, but all of them are exseptionally gifted in thier own areas, as for the battles... Quite a few of them have brilliant returns.
    Sholdn't there be a few more categories? Like : best stock manipulator, best illustrative style, best use of filters, best colour manipulation, best design and layout, best vector design / illustration, best use of mixed media (by that I mean mixing different programs), most potential amongst noobs, ect, there are a lot of new faces in here these days. I think it would be nice to include them?
    Anyway, just a few thoughts. I'll stop in again to see whats happening here.
    Very nice idea Leftie!

Nat, yeah i know about the n00bs . That's there are categories for most improved. These 'awards' are just for 2006, we're not going back to 2005 vollies or battles. So, say for example, Ondraedon (or anybody for that matter) doesn't do a volley this entire year, he can't be nominated for best arena artist.

As for the categories you've suggested, i do agree with the vector design one. As for the others, i think they may just be implied (best color, best design) in other categories.

Now, i'm not discounting the suggestions of these categories and i'd be happy to inlcude them once we get some things ironed out through discussion.

Keep the ideas coming, everyone!

I still think that some of you guys put a lot of thought and prep into your volleys, surely actually recognising things as good composition, colour balance and manipulation count?
    I dunno.
    Guess that’s the art student in me coming out again. They were just ideas.
    I'll definitely be voting! ... Makes me wonder though, shouldn't this have been put off until december? Or done last year? The year is still young, the arena is pregnant with potential for greatness.

Nat, no i agree with what you're talking about with various elements that make up an artist.

As far as putting it off:
    I'd say that we'd start collecting volleys' from the first of the year, and start voting either at the end of next December or January.

We could always vote on 2005 to see how it this works out.

Leftie: Ohhhhhhh!
    Ok.

we could have sooper specific awards like the oscars...

"The award for best use of a texture in an image containing one or more plant like objects, that was completed on a tuesday goes to...!"

SAMedia Blog (general bs) :: jwinmedia (my music site)
    "Think of an advertisement where the product you're marketing is Jesus!"
    -From a work for hire ad

Best use of terragen background with deviant art photo in foreground?

Best use of those little diagonal lines put on top of an image

Quote Originally Posted by admedia
    For some reason I always found that program difficult to use.

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by admedia
    you used the wrong thumb.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dricciotti
    Best use of those little diagonal lines put on top of an image
    Oh yes, im in with a chance on that one :

alright, just a quick update and question for everyone.

I've just gone through all the threads since the beginning of the year and now have collected a whopping 50+ images! Not bad seeing it's only 20 days into the year.

Now that brings me to a question...some battles may have started in December of 05, and ended in this month. Do we want to count the images/battles that were posted before the beginning of the year (if so, i'm making the cutoff of December 1st being the start date of the battle, i'm not going back further)????

I've given this some thought, and decided that the best thing for this to work correctly would be to develop a voting system hosted on another site. I'm going to start coding this so it's easier to keep track of images, categories of voting, and easiness of voting. Hopefully I'll have it finished by the end of the year for voting . If anyone has any input to help me with this, or if you think this is a bad idea, contact me.

wait... wait.

I thought this was a 2k6 assessment of 2k5!?

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]