A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: cd writable?

Hybrid View

certainly not human

cd writable?

does anyone know if someone can take a flash file, and put it on a dvd or something, so they can watch it on a tv or something? and if so, can someone tell me how?

OOP is one letter from OOPS kortex's Avatar
    Don't think you can do that. As far as I know you can only watch Flash on a computer (cause you need the flash player).

You could if you have screen recording sotfware (Camtasia, Captivate etc) (and this is definately a "work arround") capture the movie from your screen and then with a video editing program convert it to DVD format (This is the format that you could watch on a TV with a DVD player). However, I make no garuntees as to what the quality would look like (my guess is it will not be that good).

But wait arround for some other replies. Could be that some of the others area aware of ways of doing this that I am not aware of.
    Jeremy Wischusen
    Flash - Flex - LAMP - Web Developer Purple Inc
    AS OOP FAQ-Best Practices Thread | Flashkit OOP Tutorials | Purple Inc (day job) | Blog

you can make a .mov out of the .fla, and then burn that as a video. You (obviously) won't have any control of it, as far as links or buttons would go, so it would have to be more of an animated cartoon style of production over a website or program, but yes, you can do it.

certainly not human
    thanks, ill try that.

You might want to check this out:

http://www.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?t=568304

That's really helpful.

Although, when using the software they mentioned (Swf2Avi), I had some problems with the size of the movie being too large to fit on a TV screen when burned to the DVD, but, it may have just been something I did wrong.

certainly not human
    thanks a lot, I appreciate it.
    religions are like cults, except with more people. think about it.

One more thing - something I've used in the past. Does your computer have an S-video port somewhere in the back (or, in the case of a laptop, side)? If so, turn that port on as a secondary screen, and you can just plug that thing up to a camera, VCR, or another computer's capture card, and record.

Of course, you'll also have to simultaneously record sound as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernz
    One more thing - something I've used in the past. Does your computer have an S-video port somewhere in the back (or, in the case of a laptop, side)? If so, turn that port on as a secondary screen, and you can just plug that thing up to a camera, VCR, or another computer's capture card, and record.

Of course, you'll also have to simultaneously record sound as well.

Dear lord thats a lot of extra work for what he's trying to do, seriously, outputting as a .mov and then burning it with like CD/DVD creator or NERO is the easiest way to go. If his final presentation was going to be on tape, i'd say maybe your way would be ok, but again, he would also have to hook up his stereo out to the deck or whatever he was going too

I could get into detail about the things I've gone through when trying to do this kind of thing... but I'll forget that.

It all really depends on what you have available. In my case, I have loads of video-related software and hardware, but almost none of it is compatible with much else. There are millions of possible ways to do anything in this area, but, like I said, it all depends on what kind of software and hardware is available to you, and what you need to do.

Outputting as a .mov, for example, requires that there is no ActionScript used in the animation anywhere. Using Swf2Avi has a tendency to offset the sound, and for me got it in the wrong dimensions. The S-video capture method requires a capture card or a DV-camcorder with S-video, or some other way of getting it back onto your computer. Using live screen-capture software will result in lag without a really powerful graphics card. Then, you've got to juggle between file types, video codecs, video formats, and loads of other stuff.

do your smiles love u? slicer4ever's Avatar
    you can also use winddvd creater and you can edit in a play button to play the movie so that works

certainly not human
    I can't figure out how to burn the flash onto the actual dvd, is there any program you guys like to use?

Easy CD/DVD creator, or NERO. For video burning, i prefer Easy CD/DVD, i think it's more intuitive, unfortunately,t he last time i installed it, it gave my system the ****s,so i switched to NERO, but havent had to do any video burning

Sonic DVD creator seems popular, but it turns half my DVD's into coasters.
    I use Roxio, but that's a whole video editing software. Don't think you want to invest in that.

Try searching SourceForge.net, you might find some open-source DVD software.

Bernz, what Roxio are you using thats a complete video editing suite? I remember the last version i had, i think it allowed you to do some rough slpices (butting 1 movie clip onto another), but i wouldnt call it a "complete" editing program, compared tot he likes of AVID, Final Cut, premiere, or even the windows movie maker.

certainly not human
    i think i might have a copy of one of those programs, ill try, thanks.

Let's see... Roxio VideoWave Movie Creator 1.6.

I think it came with the computer. It's not exactly high-quality software, but it works.

do your smiles love u? slicer4ever's Avatar
    as i said before windvd creater is a good one just put your swf into the thing and edit it how ever you want then just burn it