A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Framerate comparisons....what is the best?

Framerate comparisons....what is the best?

Hello!

I have a client that is using a Mac while I'm authoring on a PC. She claims that the movie transitions is going too slow, while on my PC, the transitions appear superfast. I have the framerate set at 24 fpc and the transitions are happening within a matter of 5 frames.

My question is this: Do Macs process Flash sites slower or faster/ differently than PC's? What is the standard?

Your input would be greatly appreciated!

Furpants

they shouldnt, no. You're actually set at a film rate for frames per second. However, consider that an animation going through 5 frames, you're essentially sending the animation front to end in under 1/5th of a second.

Also, remember some peoples eyes are more sensitive to motion than others. While ~12 FPS is generally enough to fool most people into seeing movement (as opposed to individual still and similar frames) so it's possible that her eyes are the oppisite, and the motion is actually too fast for her eyes.

Theres two things you can try. The first one is to actually increase your frames per second, to maybe 30 (this will make your 5 frame animation last 1/6th of a second instead of 1/5th) or, you could add additional frames directly into your animation to maybe 8 or 12 (letting the animation consume 1/3rd or 1/2 of a second, again, instead of 1/5th.

why does it appear slower on a Mac, then?

I went to a coffeeshop and got on a Mac and it was slower. Look at www.studiosixdesign.com/mercier (look at the portfolio section and you'll see what I mean...that is, if you're on a mac.)

when you're at your PC, are you reading them from your HD, or off of the site?

EDIT: I just looked at it on my PC, and they seem to be fairly well timed IMO.
    Last edited by myheadhurtsalot; 01-20-2006 at 09:09 AM.

It's not pc's that I"m having trouble with...

It's Macs. I just did a lot of research on the Macromedia boards and apparently, the Flash Player is not optimized very well for Macs. Alpha tweenings are not Mac friendly! go figure!

I'm trying a few tricks, such as putting the fps at 21, which seems to work a little and taking out a few tweens. If you can think of anything else, let me know.

Thanks!
    Furpants

umm, this is going to be an odd suggestion, and might be beyond the scope of "newbies", but is it possible that you can detect what OS is being used, and load a mac version, and a version for everything else?

Well, here's an idea I thought I'd throw in.

I've noticed that the framerate tends to be a lot more reliable when you've got streaming audio in the background. So, try using short, looping, streaming, silent audio in the background during your transition.