A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many people are in E-Learning?

Hybrid View

How many people are in E-Learning?

I was just wondering how many people out there in Flash land make a living creating E-Learning. What do you do? How long have you been doing it. How often do you have E-Learning projects.

Stand up and be counted

I'll start by saying that I make my living creating E-Learning content for a software development company. We use a lot of Flash to create the interactive content. We also use HTML, Javascript, CSS, and numerous other technologies to create a big chunk of the training. It's all SCORM compliant.

_t
    I don't feel tardy.

calling Nordberg and PAlexC...
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

we probably have about the same job shotsy. i work for public software company, and have been making elearning since 1997 for them. recently, we've gotten into other service offerings that support our software, but much of time is still devoted to elearning. ours is positioned as a supplement to training, so i don't do much with SCORM or robust user tracking. PAlexC does a lot of that. we just do interactive flash lessons with exercises at the end. i did completely recreated our software in flash, screen for screen, and used it for what we call the 'explore menu'...you can just browse to where you need to learn in the software, and hit the go button. nice.

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

me, 5 years, every day of my working life.

We have an in house content creation package that builds pages from component parts; jpegs, swfs and text. I write the engines in flash that pulls it all together and marks it.

We do a lot of stuff for UK government, examination boards like edexcell, the armed forces and her majesty's prison service
    "They're very much like scruffy pigs to look at, and they've got big, knobbly warts and lumps all over their long, hairy faces. They are very, very ugly indeed..."

where you been swampy? [wakey]?

Thailand
    "They're very much like scruffy pigs to look at, and they've got big, knobbly warts and lumps all over their long, hairy faces. They are very, very ugly indeed..."

nordberg, that sounds like a big undertaking. We have often talked about the benefits of recreating our software in Flash and using it as a training lab, where users could work in the app without fear of messing anything up. How long did that take you to create? For us, it doesn't seem like a reality.

swampy, what does that mean, "an in house content creation package"? Is a proprietary thing that your company created or something that was purchased? It sounds like you work on some big projects.

_t
    I don't feel tardy.

Quote Originally Posted by Shotsy247
    nordberg, that sounds like a big undertaking. We have often talked about the benefits of recreating our software in Flash and using it as a training lab, where users could work in the app without fear of messing anything up. How long did that take you to create? For us, it doesn't seem like a reality.
    errrrt, put the breaks on. it's just smoke and mirrors...the software doesn't actually WORK. our software is a robust constituent management app that runs off a DB - something like ten million lines of code. i just recreated it visually. you can get to anywhere, click all the buttons, type in all the field, but it's just not hooked up to anything. we do recreate the functionality in the practice exercises, but they are more targeted and therefore not as difficult to create.

and btw - our clients LOVE this feature. we give them a well organzied matrixed menu of the 130+ lessons, but a lot of them still navigate to the content using this recreation...

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

Ahhh okay. I was going to say.

It sounds like a large version of interactive pieces we build, that allow a user to explore a page or portion of the app, to learn what each part, button, textfield does. When they click on these parts, a description and useage explination appears. We also recreate functionality for practice excersizes.

I do like the idea of being able to navigate to a problem area and get help from there. So this fake app acts like a navigation system for the user? Can this be accessed from within the app itself, like from an option in the help menu?

_t
    I don't feel tardy.

I do like the idea of being able to navigate to a problem area and get help from there. So this fake app acts like a navigation system for the user?
    yes, it's like an additional 'main menu'. we give them four menus that all point to the same content. they can learn by process, by job (their role), a la carte, or by exploring (the simulation). after a al carte, the explore menu is the most popular.

Can this be accessed from within the app itself, like from an option in the help menu?
    no because only a small percentage of our clients have the eLearning offering. we've explored the idea, but it's all very complicated. plus, it kind of steps on the toes of F1 help, which is a whole other team.

Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

Still a newbie at heart
    This is a field that i really want to get into, where do i start?!!

It sounds like a large version of interactive pieces we build, that allow a user to explore a page or portion of the app, to learn what each part, button, textfield does. When they click on these parts, a description and useage explination appears. We also recreate functionality for practice excersizes.
    Use Captivate, and abuse cmi.suspend_data. I cannot overemphasize how valuable cmi.suspend_data is.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

I used to be in it... left after the nightmare of scorm!

That's a pretty robust solution, giving the user the different learning tracks. We let the LMS choose the learning track, which is nice.

I think you are right, we have very similar positions, in what seems to be very similar companies.

Pure, what aspect of E-Learning would you like to get into? It is generally divided up into two main areas: SME(Subject Matter Experts) and (MMD)Multimedia Developers. There is often a lot of cross-over, at least I have found myself doing a lot of both ends.

_t
    Last edited by Shotsy247; 01-25-2006 at 12:00 PM.
    I don't feel tardy.

Still a newbie at heart
    Pure, what aspect of E-Learning would you like to get into? It is generally divided up into two main areas: SME(Subject Matter Experts) and (MMD)Multimedia Developers. There is often a lot of cross-over, at least I have found myself doing a lot of both ends.

_t
    I think i'd prefer to do the MMD side of it. The closest thing i've done was as part of final year project of my degree which involved creating an education CD ROM package to teach a language. Its something i just seem to click with really well, the standalone flash apps are something i understand much more than anything web based. I did alot of theory based research into learning theories etc and that was also something that really interests me so e-learning just seems like the best thing to follow into....

I am an e-Learning Deity.

Name it, I do it.

Lately it's been frameworks. Apps/Classes/Components that enable developers to build content rapidly. Currently it's a hosted weighted assessment application with reporting features.

I've done brainstorming, writing, instructional design, programming, graphic design, integration/deployment and even directing.

Fear my l33t training skills.

(Nordsy, I need to send you my AS2 SCORM tracking class.)
    Last edited by PAlexC; 01-25-2006 at 12:57 PM.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

been working in e-learning for about 2 years from college and now and already a senior designer over my own team of juniors. I basically set the style of whatever were doing plus make flash templates that create themselves via different xml files etc.

start by looking in the job sections of the papers and wait for an e-learning company to advertise a junior. as long as your good at flash in my job your a possible canditate

Not Real since 1985
    I started in 1985 with Laservision discs. No SCORM at that time. Most of the time I used video, CD-i (Europe, you know), etc incombination with PC (and even Apple ][ and MSX).
    Started in 1998 my one-man-business. Since then less AV, more Flash and the ;last years more SCORM.
    I'm very happy with Flash 8, you can imagine ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Louis van Laarhoven
    I started in 1985 with Laservision discs. No SCORM at that time. Most of the time I used video, CD-i (Europe, you know), etc incombination with PC (and even Apple ][ and MSX).
    Started in 1998 my one-man-business. Since then less AV, more Flash and the ;last years more SCORM.
    I'm very happy with Flash 8, you can imagine ;-)
    Its better than Authorware...

Quote Originally Posted by Markp.com
    Its better than Authorware...
    aaccck! i did authorware for four years!
    as lame as it is, you gotta admit that flowchart environment was from waaaay outside the box.
    and to be fair, authorware is ok as long as it's not for the web.

Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book